Old 07-10-2010, 09:50 AM   #1
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: Circuit Breaker
Vessel Model: 2021..22' Duffy Cuddy cabin
Being "anal" & Living With It...

As most of you know, I'm am absolutely "anal" about my boat. If a seagull makes a deposite on the deck, I freak out! Spots on the blue hull, mud on the polished SS anchor,
deck chair covers fading, varnish over 8 months old, every wart and pimple causes great
angst in me. When it's time for a haulout, I ride the rails! No Travel Lift* for me, brother! One of these days one of* those slings is going to break and my boat won't be on it.

Does anyone else on this forum suffer from this illness and if so, what is the cure?

-- Edited by SeaHorse II on Saturday 10th of July 2010 10:52:37 AM
Attached Thumbnails
img_1784.jpg  
Codger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 10:46 AM   #2
Curmudgeon

City: Stoney Creek, MD
Vessel Name: Moon Dance
Vessel Model: 1974 34' Marine Trader Sedan
RE: Being "anal" & Living With It...

Quote:
SeaHorse II wrote:Does anyone else on this forum suffer from this illness and if so, what is the cure?
I do.* But I got over it by owning a 36 year old Marine Trader that exhibits many of the well documented defects of that brand and era. It took me a full season to get out of the mode of trying to get everything back to original & Bristol condition.* Now, I just don't worry about it as long as she's seaworthy and dependable.* It certainly reduced the stress and financial burden and greatly increases my enjoyment of the boat.

Spill a drink or drop something heavy and sharp on the deck?* Who cares.* Bump a dock a bit hard? So what?* Scratch the bright-work?* Cool, I'm going back to natural teak anyhow.

It's not for everyone.* And if I had bought a new(er) boat there is no doubt I'd be stressing over every little ding or scratch.

BaltimoreLurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 10:59 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

City: Home Port: Buck's Harbor, Maine
Vessel Name: "Emily Anne"
Vessel Model: 2001 Island Gypsy 32 Europa (Hull #146)

I'm not sure there is any cure for it. I have suffered with it for years, both with boat and with cars (not so the house and lawn, with which my wife would prefer I devote some of my sphincter twitches). I may not have it as bad as you Walt, but its definitely an issue that I attempt, usually unsuccessfully, to control. With our last boat, I was so anal about the topsides paint and making the seams as invisible as I could that our local wooden boat surveyor/guru Giffy Full told me I should be using Preparation H in the seams.

-- Edited by dwhatty on Saturday 10th of July 2010 12:00:39 PM
dwhatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 03:25 PM   #4
Guru

City: Mooloolaba
Vessel Name: Flora
Vessel Model: Timber southern cray boat

Own a timber boat.
It is made of natural fibers, it cracks,it moves, it dings but it'd beautiful.
If I wanted it filled and smooth I would buy a plastic boat.
Boats are for livin and usin, if you use it you bruise it all part of lifes tapestery, go with the flow.
The main issue is to relax , enjoy the boat and maintain it in a great seaworthy state.
The time to get it looking brand new is when you sell it, then just throw in some extra dollars to get it up to pristine.

But if being anal about the looks is your bag live with it and enjoy, to hell with everyone else.

Benn
Tidahapah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 05:21 PM   #5
Scraping Paint

City: -

Quote:
SeaHorse II wrote:

When it's time for a haulout, I ride the rails! No Travel Lift* for me, brother! One of these days one of* those slings is going to break and my boat won't be on it.

Does anyone else on this forum suffer from this illness and if so, what is the cure?

We watched an English Channel scallop dragger fall over onto its side as it was riding a railcar up into the yard in Newlyn near Penzance a few years ago.* One of the railcar axles had finally failed and it dumped this 50 or 60 foot wood dragger right over.* The owner or skppper of the boat, who was there, began loudly berating the yard for continuing to use "this goddam*d, fuc*ing, piece of sh*t railcar instead getting* a proper lift."* He put on quite a show for all of us who were watching.

I've also seen the results of what happens when a railcar cable breaks.* This was with a floatplane, not a boat, but the end result was not particularly cheerful.

So there's no safe system.* When it's time for your boat to get smashed, it won't matter if it's on rails, in a sling, or suspended from a crane, it will get smashed.* So don't worry about it.* Below is a photo of the 150-ton Travelift in the yard in our marina.* I have far more faith in its regularly inspected and replaced sling straps than in railcar cradles, rails, pulleys and cables that live in salt water most of the time and tend to date from the early to mid 1900s.* I have yet to see a railcar that didn't look like some part of it was destined for iminent failure.

As to the anal thing, I'm anal about things I think are worth being anal about, but I'm not anal about things I don't think are worth being anal about.* Our 37-year old boat has had a number of previous owners and between them and years of baking in the California sun the gelcoat is chipped, scratched, worn thin in places, and eggshelled.* We've thought about throwing the $20K or so it would take to return the exterior to like-new condition but then we think again.

A number of years ago I talked to an acquaintance who was selling his deceased father's yacht (the father was the founder of Alaska Diesel Electric, today's Northern Lights).* The yacht had been hit at its dock by a small freighter and the owner had the yacht completely rebuilt by Delta Marine.* As part of the overhaul they completely painted the boat.* The paint job was spectacular, to say the least, as anyone familiar with Delta's work will know.*

I commented to the son that I wished we could have our boat painted like that.* He laughed and said, "No you don't.* You can spend a fortune and have a finish like this and then spend the rest of your life terrified that someone will scratch it or it will get dinged or you'll scuff it against a piling.* Or you can leave your finish the way it is and use the hell out of the boat and enjoy it and not worry about anything."

Which is what we have done.

We're not trying to win Pebble Beach with our boat.* We want it to look nice and we do as good a job on things like varnish and paint as we can, but there's a point at which we say "that's good enough."* We are far more interested in using the hell out of the boat and having experiences on the water and in the islands than in making it look like something in a showroom.* And I've observed over the last dozen years of owning this kind of boat that you can't do both.* You may THINK you can, but you can't.* The people with boats in decent but not spectacular condition are the people I see in the anchorages and marine parks when we go out year round.* The absolutely gorgeous boats I see in the marina-- new, middle-aged, or old--- I always see in the marina.* Being worked on, usually, by their loving owners.* I rarely see boats like this in the anchorages except in the height of the boating season when the weather is ideal.* And even then their owners are wiping them down and waxing and polishing the stainless and cleaning the windows.

We never, ever, see these boat and boaters in the fall, winter, and spring.* It rains (up here, anyway), the water is rough and boats get covered with salt spray within minutes, windows streak, canvas flaps around, it's a nightmare.

As to the cure for an anal approach to boating, I don't think there is one.* If you panic at the sight of a bird poo on your boat, you cannot make that panic go away.* It's an attitude a person is born with or develops at an early age.

I don't think people who take the "my boat must be perfect at all times" approach are wrong.* It's what works for them. I'm pretty anal about things working right on our boat, the operational aspect of it.* Not so much the appearance aspect.* I would love to have our boat in absolutely pristine physical condition 24/7/365 but neither my wife nor I have the time or the interest in doing this ourselves, and we have far better things to spend the money on than giving it to someone to keep our boat looking showroom.* So we live with what we've got, keep it up as best we can, and simply enjoy using it.

I am grateful for all the anal boaters out there, though.* I wish there were more of them.* Because every time I see one I know it means one less boat that will be out* clutttering up the anchorages when we're there.

-- Edited by Marin on Saturday 10th of July 2010 06:22:57 PM
Attached Thumbnails
p1010155.jpg  
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 04:37 AM   #6
FF
Guru

"Who cares?"

Agree , the point of having a boat is fine cruising ,

not showing off 37 coats of varnish to plastic boat folks to go OHH over.

Wood ! Wood? Wooood? We don' need no rotten wood !!!

Nautical version of Treasure Of Seira Madre.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 05:54 AM   #7
Guru

City: Thibodaux, Louisiana
Vessel Name: Gumbo
Vessel Model: 2003 Monk 36

I'm partial to the "workboat" look.
Steve W.
Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 07:39 AM   #8
Guru

City: Everett Wa
Vessel Name: Eagle
Vessel Model: Roughwater 58 pilot house

There will be a point when you realize you can not be so anal and get all the things done.* Also when your eye sight fails to a point you can not see up close/detail, but can see thing at a distance.* If you can not see it, its not there.* So now I step back a couple of feet and it looks good to me.
Phil Fill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 03:22 AM   #9
FF
Guru

The time to polish and repaint the boat is when you decide to cruise no more and sell the boat.

"Paint sells da boat" for 5000+ years , but is of little use for cruising.

We prefer the workboat look as one advantage , at least on the Right coast , is the ability to tie overnight to most of the locals for free.

$3.00-$5.00 a ft overnight is a bit pri$y to pay , just to take the bride out for a shore meal. And where there is a fish house , at least you know the food will be fresh.

Alongside the working folks only sometimes equals a real early wake up-departure.

Just ask, there are always guys that dont think the little fishies or shrimp need to be visited at the crack of dawn.

Lunch works even better , cheaper meals at the resturant , and the hook is always preferred for O'nite.

-- Edited by FF on Monday 12th of July 2010 04:24:17 AM
Old 07-12-2010, 03:48 AM   #10
Guru

On*the same lines as FF, our boat is a commercial trawler 32 years old,* When we bought the boat the teak was grey, the paint was cracking and grey, decks leaked and the boat needed a lot of TLC.* Today the boat is in a lot better condition/shape*than when we bought it. * However, if the boat started out as brand new, then todays condition may not be that great.* So a lot depends on what you are comparing it to. That is the reason we tend to buy used as one more dent/scratch is not as big of a deal as the first dent/scratch if it was brand new.
Old 07-12-2010, 04:36 AM   #11
Guru

City: Cruising East Coast US
Vessel Name: Grace
Vessel Model: DeFever 48

Phil,
So why do you use the grayest ugliest picture possible for your shiny big yacht? We all know the truth.

-- Edited by Daddyo on Monday 12th of July 2010 05:38:08 AM
Daddyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 04:58 PM   #12
Guru

City: Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Vessel Name: Old School
Vessel Model: 38' Trawler custom built by Hike Metal Products

My thought when buying the boat was to get a metal boat, the pilings won't hurt it and the fiberglass guys are afraid of it. Old School loves the taste of fresh fiberglass. As far as anal goes, I am a nut about pumps, hoses, filters, thru hulls, etc., the things that keep her floating and moving along safely. I hate out on the water suprises. So, wash her down every 3 months or so, stand back and admire (60 year old eyes not that good either). But, Walt, your boat is a beautiful piece of machinery. That paint job is fine looking.
Mike
Baton Rouge
Gulf Comanche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 06:15 PM   #13
Scraping Paint

City: Fort Lauderdale
Vessel Model: CHB 48 Zodiac YL 4.2

Quote:
Phil Fill wrote:On*the same lines as FF, our boat is a commercial trawler ....
Isn't it a Roughwater 58?
RickB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 07:48 PM   #14
Guru

Because the greyest ugliest*ski makes our ugly commercial grade Roughwater trawler look shiny white.* The grey skies area typical Seattle day.* Even to day its mid 60s grey cloudy skies.* The hull is not faired very well.* I priced how much it would cost to have a yacht smooth shine hull.* 10 to 15 grand, so I faired the hull the best I could and rolled/tipped it semi gloss so it does not show the flaws.* It looks as good as most oxidies plastic hulls.
Old 07-12-2010, 09:05 PM   #15
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: Circuit Breaker
Vessel Model: 2021..22' Duffy Cuddy cabin

Thanks Mike! I'll pass your kind comment on to my mistress, SeaHorse ll.
Attached Thumbnails
img_2821.jpg  
Codger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 03:43 AM   #16
FF
Guru

"commercial grade Roughwater trawler"

A TT boat simply splashed from a commercial mold does not assure commercial scantlings.

Perhaps the surface finish is far from yacht grade , but that sez nothing about the rest of the construction.
Old 07-13-2010, 04:22 AM   #17
Scraping Paint

Quote:
FF wrote:

"commercial grade Roughwater trawler"

A TT boat simply splashed from a commercial mold does not assure commercial scantlings.
?? The only thing "commercial" about the boat or the mold is that both were built for sale.

The design was yacht, the scantlings are yacht, and the purpose was yacht. There is absolutely nothing "commercial" in the sense of being built for use in fishing, towing, regular voyaging in all weather, or redundant systems, crew berthing, safety systems, or any other of the myriad design features that differentiate a purpose built commercial vessel from a pleasure vessel.

Ticking off the box that says "coastwise" on the documentation application or claiming commercial use to jump the queue at the locks doesn't make the boat commercial.

-- Edited by RickB on Tuesday 13th of July 2010 05:22:59 AM
Old 07-13-2010, 09:23 AM   #18
Guru

FF/RickB*call it a pleasure, commercial, trawler, yacht, boat, ugly pretty, what ever you want? You two keep de rail discussions with criticism that has*little to do with the main topic.*
If you want to start another discussion we can discuss my 58 ft Roughwater trawler and/or what makes a boat/trawler a commercial vs. pleasure?**My main point was its not pretty never was designed nor intended to be, so*I am not to anal about it.
Old 07-13-2010, 10:02 AM   #19
Scraping Paint

Geez PF, you're the one who made a point to call it a commercial trawler then watered that down to "commerical grade" (whatever that means) so don't have a hissy fit when someone points out that a Roughwater 58 is neither.

If you didn't think it mattered what it was called why did you even call it anything other than your boat?
Old 07-13-2010, 02:41 PM   #20
Guru

Vessel Name: Anastasia III
Vessel Model: Krogen 42

Ah, you'll never make a comment on here that isn't corrected.
Keith is offline   Reply With Quote