Old 12-20-2009, 11:02 AM   #1

Fiberglass Repair

Before I call around I thought that I would get the advice of the forum. I am considering the purchase of a 2001 trawler that at one time had a dinghy crane on roof of the fiberglass pilothouse. The crane was removed but it looks like an amateur repaired the holes in the white nonskid fiberglass. I believe that about half of the roof needs to be repaired. Can someone tell me what is involved in doing a first class repair where the nonskid matches up with the undamaged half, colors match and son on. Perhaps to get a good match the entire roof has to be redone.

Thanks.
Russf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 11:12 AM   #2
FF
Guru

RE: Fiberglass Repair

A rather inexpensive core material like Nadia core will work fine for a roof top.

THe technique is to lay up the roof on one side only , on any flat surface (cover with plastic.

Then after 3 days when modestly cured turn it over and use whatefer you have as spacers to curve the roof to the camber required.

Usually a heavy plank in the center and two side planks will give a nice smooth curve.

THe outside layers are then laid up , and when hard , taken out to cure better in the sun.

2lbs per sq ft is doable but 2.5 is easier for a first time glasser as there may be some errors.

Friends and beer can get it lifted down the dock and up into place.

FF
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 11:52 AM   #3

Thanks FF. That was helpfull.
Russf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 03:43 AM   #4
FF
Guru

The main concept is that patching and matching takes great skills, as our eyes find visual "flaws" very well.

New construction is easy and cheap , after all most of the folks that actually built most boats GRP parts were trained in an hour.

FF
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 09:28 AM   #5
Guru

City: Whittier AK
Vessel Name: Apache II
Vessel Model: 1974 Donald Jones

I concur with FF on this one.*
*I have seen fiberglass repair guys fiddle for hours to get a good match on gell coat. A little red a little black some green. Just to get the color to match on a boat that has had a few years of sun and salt on the gell coat. (This was on a white boat) If you want it all to match as new.**Hire as pro.**If not, You will always notice it, where others may not.

SD
skipperdude is offline   Reply With Quote