Old 03-16-2010, 12:05 PM   #21
Guru

RE: fiberglass decks??

You can of course do whatever you like with your boat. You did ask for some input and that is what you received. Your decks will flex and the holes will open up if you have a Marine Trader, Albin 43 or a Nordhaven 70. You can jump up and down and see and feel no flexing but it does, different resins react differently to temperature, moisture and you can not exactly match the existing resins and the holes will absolutely open up in time. How do I know this with such certainty? Through 40 years in the marine service industry doing hundreds of fiberglass repairs and more deck repairs than I would like to think about. I have never seen a hole filled in with only resins, it does not matter what kind, that did not open up again in time. I have never seen a hole with some form of cloth or mat over it, open up. So everyone can be an expert and argue over whether it is necessary or not. The truth is it is not necessary, UNLESS you don't ever have to deal with it again. But as individual boat owners we all make the final decisions as to the extent of any repairs or renovations we do and either live happily with the results or deal with the consequences. Chuck

Capn Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 04:40 AM   #22
FF
Guru

Why Epoxy and not regular polyester resin?

Polyester resin is formulated to build boats .

It has inhibitors too allow the next layer to form a primary bond to a not"too" old hardened layer.

Used with proper techniques it builds good boats, with semi skilled labor.

Epoxy is the only resin to use for repairs as it is a great glue.

IT will stick to wood as well as cleaned up polly (it sticks to the exposed ground clean glass fibers).

Epoxy is also poisonous so it works on wood to kill some of the encapsulated rot spores.

IF you are building a new boat Polly is the stuff (unless aircraft light is required).

For repairs only epoxy will last.

FF

FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 05:55 AM   #23

City: Rochester, NY
Vessel Model: Albin 43 Trawler

thanks for all the help. im going to add glass.
albin43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 06:00 AM   #24

City: Rochester, NY
Vessel Model: Albin 43 Trawler
fiberglass decks??

and capn chuck, when i said i dont belive its the same deck as your marine trader i was taking a guess that under your teak theres plywood and no glass. with wood deck beams. which i have seen on a 36 MT (older model i belive a '79) where mine are molded fiberglass with teak core. I am going to add some glass, not sure what yet. im going to run a moisture meter over the decks tonight and see what I have to work with. i may go with a heavy wolven mat to stiffin the decks and add strength and then go over it with some fiberglass cloth so i can run it up about a inch or two on the cabin. I need to make sure its watertight because I will have snow and ice on her next year and the years folowing i dont plan to shrinkwrap in the winters. thanks for the input

-- Edited by albin43 on Wednesday 17th of March 2010 06:01:53 AM
albin43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 04:23 AM   #25
FF
Guru

Over the years we have finally worked out a system for rapidly and easily cleaning the top layer of surface , so it can be glassed.

A large grinder ( 9A to 15A) is fitted with a Bher Manning pad that is about 2 inches thick.
About $60 or so just for the pad.

The sanding material is # 16 or 20 from the local floor refinishing supply. The material is sold by the foot (5 ft will do a 50 ft boat) and is 10 inches wide.

WE snap the sand sheet into 10in square LEAVE ON THE CORNERS! and use "sanding disc adhesive' (NAPA) to hold it to the soft pad.The corners of the backing help not dig divots in the surface.

NO pressure is required the setup just requires a very light touch to clear off layers of paint , black goop from between planking .The weight of the unit is plenty.

The reason it woks is the coarse grit does not plug , but most important the pebbles glued to the cardboard backing (yes its looks that coarse) is Silicon Carbide , not Aluminum oxide.

Again a LIGHT TOUCH is used.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 05:25 AM   #26
Guru

All of the teak on our decks was removed by Marsh Harbor Marina in Beaufort, SC. They did a fantastic job. This was done BTW, before we purchased the boat. The plywood core was removed and a synthetic core installed and the decks were all glassed over. But I have removed and repaired decks on power and sail boats of all different manufacturers in the past. I have also redone work that owners and even so called professionals have done and not done properly. The cost to undo a bad repair can often exceed the cost to do it right the first time, not considering the down time and aggravation factor. Chuck

Capn Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote