Old 10-18-2012, 02:44 PM   #21

City: Redlands
Your replies are very helpful!! I will do much of the loop single handed so I'm looking for fender hanging and storage that will let me deploy quickly.

The boat has lived with pilings (in Melbourne, FL) for years. You can see the fender boards in this picture.

Thanks for all the help.

Arch

Arch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 05:41 PM   #22
Grand Vizier

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
I paid a guy to compound and wax my boat shortly after I bought it and he recommended fender covers to keep the fenders from scuffing the gelcoat. I use covers and it seems to help.
If you can find them, So-Pac flat fenders are pretty hard to beat. They are only 3" thick, and came in lots of different sizes - for example 25" x 13". I used them on my sailboat because they were so much easier to store and could do double duty as seating or kneeling pads.

I have no idea why, but they seem to have been discontinued. The last I purchased I got on Ebay.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	So-pac.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	36.2 KB
ID:	13628  

Old 10-18-2012, 06:35 PM   #23
Guru

City: Thibodaux, Louisiana
Vessel Name: Gumbo
Vessel Model: 2003 Monk 36
I belive those fenderboards have the wrong side against the hull?
Steve W
Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 06:50 PM   #24
Guru

City: Biloxi Mississippi
Vessel Name: Patricia Louise II
Vessel Model: 1983 42' Present Sundeck
Quote:
Originally Posted by HopCar View Post
I think the Taylor Made fender board ends are still available. I'll check when I get to the store today. I remember the bigger ones as well. They were made by another company that will come to me later. (The mind is a terrible thing to lose.) I don't think the big ones are made anymore.
Thanks. I have seen the 2x4 style Steve mentioned but am looking for the 2x6 like I have now that stands off a few good inches. I may be able to get a picture this weekend.
Forkliftt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 07:57 PM   #25
Guru

City: Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
My boat originally came with four tires for fenders.

New.......or recaps??

White walls?
Rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 09:00 PM   #26
Guru

City: Miami Florida
Vessel Name: Possum
Vessel Model: Ellis 28
Forklift, I'm pretty sure it was the W.H. Salisbury company that made the fenderboard ends for 2 X 6's. I think they are out of the marine business.

I like the So-Pak flat fenders as well. They store flat and I keep finding other uses for them. They were made in New Zeland and imported into the USA by Imtra Corp. I don't see them on Imtra's website anymore. I may have a couple left in stock if anyone is interested.
HopCar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 10:38 PM   #27

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: Fluke
Vessel Model: Krogen 42
My wife made covers from Polartec 300 for our white 20" cylinder shaped fenders. Done on a home sewing machine. I put them on in jan and they have held up well. Cost $7 each for material. The blue color faded to light blue/purple but they look nice anyway.
xfedex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 10:41 PM   #28
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler View Post
New.......or recaps??

White walls?
Used.

No. T-shirts.
Old 10-19-2012, 05:47 AM   #29
FF
Guru

For a cruiser a pair of fender boards are required.

Sometimes the dock is pilings and its very easy to lay alongside with a pair of good boards, and a spring line set..

My favorite uses pre-cast bumpers that slip over a piece of dimensional lumber.

Std. tube fenders between the bumpers , and if it gets rough enough to spit out the tubes the boards at least wont eat a hole in the paint job or gel coat.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 07:53 AM   #30
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Fender covers are nice but require as much cleaning or more than the fenders themselves...any grit that gets on them turns them into sandpaper too...sometimes easier to just hose off the fender.

But one suggestion I heard was go to thrift stores and buy old sweat pants. The legs may fit and one end already has an elastic, finished end. At a $1.00 or so for 2 covers....hardly can argue the price.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 08:06 AM   #31
Guru

City: Biloxi Mississippi
Vessel Name: Patricia Louise II
Vessel Model: 1983 42' Present Sundeck
Quote:
Originally Posted by HopCar View Post
Forklift, I'm pretty sure it was the W.H. Salisbury company that made the fenderboard ends for 2 X 6's. I think they are out of the marine business.

I like the So-Pak flat fenders as well. They store flat and I keep finding other uses for them. They were made in New Zeland and imported into the USA by Imtra Corp. I don't see them on Imtra's website anymore. I may have a couple left in stock if anyone is interested.
HopCar, I would be interested. Can you check stock and send me a pic to steve@forkliftt.com? Thanks!
Forkliftt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 08:20 AM   #32
Guru

City: Thibodaux, Louisiana
Vessel Name: Gumbo
Vessel Model: 2003 Monk 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
Fender covers are nice but require as much cleaning or more than the fenders themselves...any grit that gets on them turns them into sandpaper too...sometimes easier to just hose off the fender.

But one suggestion I heard was go to thrift stores and buy old sweat pants. The legs may fit and one end already has an elastic, finished end. At a $1.00 or so for 2 covers....hardly can argue the price.
That sounds like a pretty good idea, I'm not sure I want to be anywhere near old sweat pants from a thrift store though
Maybe the dollar store has some, unsweated in.
Steve W
Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 08:57 AM   #33
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Yes, some folks use cut off sweat pants or "tights". I wouldn't expect them to wear well or hold up to the UV light for long. Even some fenders covers I bought at West Marine were a disapointment in that respect.

I bought six fender covers from these folks and I have been very pleased with the quality and how well they have held up for over a year at this point. They were not expensive either.

Procover Boat Fender Covers
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 09:12 AM   #34
Guru

City: Georgia
Folding / flat ones here: Boat Jetski Narrowboat Fenders from Anglesey Marine Supplies

Flat ones here: PJ Bowers Pty. Ltd : Marine & Boating foam : Boat Buffers
Rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 09:18 AM   #35
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Lotus
Vessel Model: Clipper (CHB) 34 Sedan/Europa style
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter B
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
I paid a guy to compound and wax my boat shortly after I bought it and he recommended fender covers to keep the fenders from scuffing the gelcoat. I use covers and it seems to help.
I use covers, called fender socks here downunder. They look good, and do protect the hull finish and prevent the buildup of the sticky black stuff that seems to love power cords and fenders. However, they do weather, fade, and eventually need replacement. However, as someone mentioned, small price to pay. Especially as to be at the ready, provide rafting up or anchor drag protection, and get the damn things out of the way, we leave ours raised but deployed, so the socks sort of disguise them a bit, and makes it look less like you just forgot to lift them in.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Image137.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	76.9 KB
ID:	13638  
Peter B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 09:49 AM   #36
Guru

We used fender covers on some of our fenders.
But after going thru 150 locks this summer , we decided that covers are not as good as plain fenders. The covers get yucky after a few locks and they can't easily be cleaned. The dirt stays in the fabric and continues to mark the gelcoat.
The bare fenders are easy to clean.
I also wax the fenders initially, and that lets the dirt flush off easily (until the wax is gone of course).
We also had both types of fenders.
We used balls on the bow (one each side) because our boat has a really huge flare and we needed the large diameter.
The rest were cylinders. We never had one pop out.
Mystic,Ct. /New Port Richey,Fl
jleonard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 01:17 PM   #37

City: Spartanburg, SC
Vessel Name: Big Duck
Vessel Model: '72 Land-N-Sea
The bigger, the better.
The only reason not to have a bigger fender is no place to store it.
jeffnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 01:37 PM   #38
Scraping Paint

City: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffnick View Post
The bigger, the better.
I agree with that. In addition to the four or five "normal" cylindrical fenders we use at the dock we carry three "Big Bertha" fenders. These are great when rafting and we use one of them as our hand-held bow fender in our technique of getting off a dock that the wind is pushing us on to. One of them lives up on the flying bridge and the other two are tied off to the aft rail when we're underway.

The two ball fenders we bought for last winter's temporary moorage assignment we've taken home as we don't need them on the boat anymore.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 01:46 PM   #39
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffnick View Post
The bigger, the better.
Only to a point...there's an average range of motion for your boat and anything more can make it difficult for people to board.

For storms yes....if you don't have the fenders, you'll have to find a more peaceful spot.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 04:20 PM   #40
Guru

City: Miami Florida
Vessel Name: Possum
Vessel Model: Ellis 28
Has anybody ever used those inflatable fenders that are made of hypalon fabric like inflatable boats? They are very popular on mega yachts but I don't see them on proper sized boats like ours. You could store some nice big ones in almost no space. They are expensive compared to the usual vinyl fender.

HopCar is online now   Reply With Quote