Fender cleaners

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

timjet

Guru
I know this topic has been discussed before but I can't find a reference to it anywhere. I know Marin had a product he liked but I don't have time to search through 10,000 posts.:rofl:

Several ppl recommended gojo. We tried it and it works well and is super cheap. It's a hand cleaner available at hardware stores.

I have used Gojo and also Vim bathroom cleaner. Both are somewhat abrasive and leave a dull finish. I shine them up and protect them afterwards from UV using 303 protectant.

The GoJo idea is not mine, it's Keith's. it's the most valuable tip I've gotten in the six years I've been on this forum. It works better than anything we've ever tried on fenders and shorepower cords. And it doesn't soften the rubber or leave a toxic mess. Boeing uses it now in all its assembly plant and manufacturing shop restrooms

Just make sure that you use the GoJo with the pumice in it. The creamy kind won't do as good a job.

Nice to finish up by passing on a great boat maintenance idea.:)

If there are calcium deposits on the fenders, spraying them with vinegar & letting the acid soften up the calcium before scrubbing the fenders with GoJo will make the task easier.

We use lots of vinegar while cleaning the boat. When we had our SR 340 with a beautiful blue hull we went thru gals of vinegar & soft water trying to rid the gelcoat of calcium buildup.

Thats a good idea, I never tried but I'll do :)

Sergio "Alemao" Sztancsa, Sent from my iPhone using Trawler

GoJo and a light scotchbrite pad. Wax the fenders when they're clean...they will stay nice longer.

OK, thanks guys, I'm off for some GoJo, 303 Protectant, I've already got some wax.

I recommend covering fenders with Fender Socks (close knit fabric covers/boots).

Different colors and costs at various dealers. Our deep blue covers were at West Marine. 5 year constant use - no problem! Note: Don't close-up spray with power washer... can rip threads... been there, done that! Pressure hose nozzle works well for cleaning... spray tiny bit of biodegradable Simple Green on fender if desired before pressure hose spraying, the socks clean up real well. In slip, with fenders on line off boat side, with or without Simple Green applied, they’re real easy to keep clean as the fenders spin with hose pressure so all portions get sprayed off with no-hands-used!

High points:

- No need to scrub fender surfaces clean ever again - I Love that!
- Same size but different color fenders become same color (with correct end-closure style covers) - Economical! BTW: That's one black and one white in picture with ends closed tightly over flat end fenders.
- Fender Socks DO NOT leave ANY marks or streaks or burns on hull side - I REALLY Love that!!

White, blue, black fenders are pretty and shiny when brand new... then, you soon need to begin working to keep em that way (and to keep boat side clean too!)... or, simply use Fender Socks and relax – year after year!

http://www.sailboatstuff.com/mor_fender_covers.html

Attachments

• TO in Delta Tules 100_0429.jpg
    TO in Delta Tules 100_0429.jpg
    152.2 KB · Views: 78
Last edited:

Attachments

• IMG_3861.jpg
    IMG_3861.jpg
    113.4 KB · Views: 83
A friend once told me he sprayed McLube Sailkote on his fenders and nothing - tar, oil, grease - sticks to them. That stuff will get on the fenders, but then they easily come clean with soap and water.

GoJo and a light scotchbrite pad. Wax the fenders when they're clean...they will stay nice longer.

I'm going to second jleonard's suggestion... definitely use an automotive wax of some sort after cleaning. I cleaned up a badly stained fender to leave at the dock with Soft Scrub and a Scotchbrite pad. My "nice" fenders get GoJo and wax.

I'm going to second jleonard's suggestion... definitely use an automotive wax of some sort after cleaning. I cleaned up a badly stained fender to leave at the dock with Soft Scrub and a Scotchbrite pad. My "nice" fenders get GoJo and wax.

Welcome aboard. You got a real purdy boat :)

Thanks for the welcome and compliment on my trawler, Murray. This is such a wonderful forum with super friendly folks--lots of great information!

Back
Top Bottom