Facts on Wax?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tom.B

Moderator Emeritus
Vessel Name
Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Make
Navigator 4200 Classic
Looking for tips and suggestions on which wax to use on my gelcoat. Looks like buffing and waxing is quickly moving up the list.

Thanks.

Tom-

Swirl removal from Mequires for taking off the oxidation, followed by Carnuba wax.*

Hire someone.

In my experience Colonite will cause black streaks on the gel coat after a rain. Mequires willl not. Also IME, Meguires lasts longer in a hot climate.

Delfin wrote:
Hire someone.
*Not a chance! I'll hire someone only if I am in a hurry (like up on the hard) or there is some special tool and technique required, but this is basically just a buffer and a ton of elbow grease.

Yea... I have got the procedure down (I got lessons from the guys at the boat yard that did our hull in the Fall
smile.gif
) and I have a kick-ass Makita buffer along with a GALLON of 3M compound (heavily oxidized) at the ready. I am really just fishing for a good brand of wax to finish it off with as I start knocking out this HUGE job. Looks like Meguires is near the top of the list.

If you have to wax/work on the water side, I use those glass suction cup things to grip the hull.* You can buy them for under 5 bucks at most hardware stores.* If you just want to polish/shine I been using Turtle Wax spray on 2100 in a green bottle next to Amoral.* Easy to apply, lasts and makes the boat easier to wash.* I wash use Turtel Wax car wash with wax in it with*50% water.* Its yellowish/green looking.* Oh, to*get the black steaks and*greesy dirt off I use*Wight Tire cleaner.***

-- Edited by Phil Fill on Thursday 12th of May 2011 09:55:56 AM

GonzoF1 wrote:Delfin wrote:
Hire someone.
*Not a chance! I'll hire someone only if I am in a hurry (like up on the hard) or there is some special tool and technique required, but this is basically just a buffer and a ton of elbow grease.

*and a ton of elbow grease.

Bess or yours??

Mine... She shine the stainless with hers.

We have found that the Mr. Clean "eraser sponges" are perfect for removing streaks and black lines from the hull and cabin sides. Very easy to use, even have one on a telescoping handle that reaches down the hull from the deck. No scrubbing, just a couple of wipes and the hull/cabin is white again.
smile.gif

We use those too (and need to find a place to buy them in bulk), but I am afraid that they will take wax off. Anyone know if they do?

Why do most boaters thing what the pay 2 to 3 time at a marine store is any better/different than they can bay at an auto store?* I been using the stuff mentioned for 30 years on our 1970 blue run about with no damage.* When we moored on Lake Union our dock was fixed about 3 to 6 ft off the water and the boats where so tight only fenders would fit.* So for 7 years I never could get to the lower part of the hull, so it had to be something easy to put on and off.*
The stuff that takes off streak will take of the wax so you need to apply wax.* That is why I use the wash with contains wax and the spray wax.* the water beads off the boat after 9 months of PNW weather.

Attachments

• run about.jpg
    run about.jpg
    147.2 KB · Views: 80
Collinite fleetwax paste consistently ranked highest in practical sailor's tests. I've been using it for years and am very happy with it. I use it on my other vehicles as well.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom