Old 01-19-2017, 10:17 AM   #1
Guru

City: Windsor
Vessel Name: Keeper IV
Vessel Model: 44 Viking ACMY
EZ2CY Replacement

I'm looking at replacing my Stamoid/EZ2CY enclosure after 18 faithfull seasons of service. Got a price from the local EZ dealer who did the original work years back. Got a price from the competitor using Stamoid and "marine acrylic". He was $600 cheaper, so basically exact same price.

I haven't asked yet but what the H*ll is marine acrylic? From my industrial life this guy is just throwing words at me. I have not heard of a reason for marine grade acrylic.

To my knowledge EZ is a form of polycarbonate (lexan) which makes a lot more sense. Before I challenge the quote does anyone have any knowledge experience in this area?

For a few reasons I'm not just willing to let the original installer have the project.
mbevins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 10:58 AM   #2
Guru

City: Annapolis
Vessel Name: Ranger
Vessel Model: 58' Sedan Bridge
He might mean something like Makrolon. Semi-rigid like EZ2CY, equally "invisible" (to me), but a different product...

FWIW, when we replaced our original stamoid enclosure, we decided we prefer Sunbrella. That was about 8 years ago, still going strong. For the clears, we used a combination of Makrolon in the front three panels, and "sheet vinyl" (roll-up stuff, I'd have to look up the brand/product name) everywhere else, coil zippers where appropriate, and Tenara thread. All still going strong.

-Chris
Old 01-19-2017, 11:08 AM   #3
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post
He might mean something like Makrolon. Semi-rigid like EZ2CY, equally "invisible" (to me), but a different product...

FWIW, when we replaced our original stamoid enclosure, we decided we prefer Sunbrella. That was about 8 years ago, still going strong. For the clears, we used a combination of Makrolon in the front three panels, and "sheet vinyl" (roll-up stuff, I'd have to look up the brand/product name) everywhere else, coil zippers where appropriate, and Tenara thread. All still going strong.

-Chris
Yes I understand.
I'm sticking with Stamoid because my enclosure is white and Stamoid is far superior for white applications.
Old 01-19-2017, 11:14 AM   #4

City: Seattle, WA
Vessel Model: Willard 47' Dover Trawler
Answer here

Look at this comparison:

https://www.ez2cy.com/otherenclosures.aspx

EZ2CY, an acrylic, in my opinion is superior to polycarbonate because scratches can be polished out and because it does not have an annoying rainbow effect when you are looking through it with polarized sunglasses. It is also clearer than glass. Really good stuff that is worth its considerable expense.
SteveD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 01:34 PM   #5
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48 (sold)
A good site for this question. And, Lexan(registered trade name and proprietary process and coatings invented by GE) may or not be the same as other PCs.

I'm going with a new enclosure now - Stamoid and Lexan. Chose not to go Acrylic

Welcome to the 4U2SEA Website!
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 03:50 PM   #6
Guru

City: Annapolis
Vessel Name: Ranger
Vessel Model: 58' Sedan Bridge
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbevins View Post
I'm sticking with Stamoid because my enclosure is white and Stamoid is far superior for white applications.

Heh.... yep, got that. Our original in Stamoid was white, but we wanted black... and we decided Sunbrella seemed better for black.

-Chris
Old 01-19-2017, 04:11 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
We were bringing our boat home last spring from Virginia. On the Delaware Bay the stitching blew out on a couple of panels. We found a canvas shop in Cape May that came out that day and repaired the panels overnight. We got talking about canvas and long story short, this winter we added a hardtop to the bridge. I made patterns for the front panels and sent them to him. We just got the finished panels from him. They are wonderful. Well made and fit perfectly. I was worried about doing this through the mail but it worked out very well. I am fabricating the side and rear panels now to finish the bridge enclosure. It is somewhat a pain working inside the sundeck on the boat instead of having my large work benches in my garage, but it will be nice to have it all done by spring. If you are interested in the name of the canvas shop let me know.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 04:16 PM   #8
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunchaser View Post
A good site for this question. And, Lexan(registered trade name and proprietary process and coatings invented by GE) may or not be the same as other PCs.

I'm going with a new enclosure now - Stamoid and Lexan. Chose not to go Acrylic

Welcome to the 4U2SEA Website!

You sent me to the 4U2ESA website , which is the newer product by the founder of EZ2CY. I believe that is still an acrylic based product yet you stated that your going Stamoid and Lexan. Please explain.