Old 10-27-2015, 01:30 PM   #21
Guru

City: Powell River, BC
Vessel Name: Northern Spy
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 26
What Ski said. Be sure to change the oil filter each oil change. Oil filters bung up pretty quick with emulsion.

Had a similar issue with my old BMW engine.

Northern Spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 01:50 PM   #22

Yes the manifold is cooled by anti freeze. There shouldn't be a way in unless it is backing up from the muffler. I didn't change the level of the muffler or exhaust hose. I didn't discover this problem until it hydro locked and then discovered the whole system was full and I was only cooling with salt water. Somehow the two systems combined. Most likely at the elbow. I filled the fw side and flushed it with fresh water and it didn't leak away I did get it running yesterday without the salt water cooling but didn't run it long. I need to change the oil again but need to figure out how the salt water is getting into the exhaust manifold.

mizzkim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 12:37 PM   #23

City: Green Cove Springs, Florida
Send a message via Skype™ to bglad
Does it happen if you close the valve for the main engine raw water supply? If you have a vented loop on the main engine it may be the problem. If it does not function properly it will not prevent siphoning.
bglad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 06:10 PM   #24

I think your correct. My raw water feed valve doesn't seal completely. Slowly was feeding into the elbow. The elbow is below water line. I thin it filled the muffler and worked it's way up to the exhaust and filled the end cylinder. I'm going to install a loop for sure!. Thanks
Old 10-28-2015, 06:15 PM   #25

City: Green Cove Springs, Florida
Send a message via Skype™ to bglad
Glad that tip has helped. If this is a new problem it may mean your raw water impeller is worn out too. A new snug fitting impeller might not allow siphoning but one worn or missing blades could.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzkim View Post
I think your correct. My raw water feed valve doesn't seal completely. Slowly was feeding into the elbow. The elbow is below water line. I thin it filled the muffler and worked it's way up to the exhaust and filled the end cylinder. I'm going to install a loop for sure!. Thanks
bglad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 07:47 PM   #26

Nope I think I'm my own worst enemy. This summer I cut in a new wash down pump between my intake valve and sea strainer. It must get enough air there to allow my sea water to run enough to fill my muffler and then elbow and into the manifold even when the valve is off . I didn't know it leaked internally because it didn't get any air. The first incident was shortly after the new pump went in. . Thanks for your help!
Old 10-29-2015, 06:09 AM   #27
Veteran Member

City: Brooklin
If the engine is too low and there is no vented loop, couldn't it flood through the intake, particularly if the raw water pump impeller was worn?. Salt water would trickle through until the lift muffler was full, then back into the cylinders?
Doug H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 06:13 AM   #28
Veteran Member

City: Brooklin
Sorry, I somehow missed the fact that bglad already answered this.
Doug H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 07:53 AM   #29

Thanks for your help. I think I have gotten to the bottom of this one!
Old 10-29-2015, 08:45 AM   #30
Guru

City: Marathon, Florida
Vessel Name: Walkabout
Vessel Model: 1989 Sea Ray 380 Aft Cabin
mizzkin, I think you still have a problem. The antifreeze coolant system is a closed pressurized system. If you had sea water in that system then you have a breach in that system. I hope I am wrong but I don't think so.

www.mikeandsharondunsworth.blogspot.com
READY2GO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 11:27 AM   #31

I think the breach was the gasket at the elbow to begin with. Its true it ran on saltwater for some time. Had it not hydro locked I wouldn't have found it. I've learned a good lesson. I n stalled new hoses and elbow with a new gasket. Its the only place it could get in and do that I think.
Old 10-29-2015, 05:27 PM   #32
Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
Is there even a gasket at manifold/mixer elbow that separates FW and SW? Can't remember exactly how it is arranged there, whether there are water ports at the joint or not.
Ski in NC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 05:38 PM   #33

Yes there is. The gaskets seals the end of the end of the manifold ports. Strikes me funny why the didn't just cast it shut because the anti freeze doesn't circulate there. I suspect that's where my problem began withe the failure of that gasket for whatever reason
I have lots of saltwater flowing from the raw water pump and the elbow was ok but grungy
Old 10-29-2015, 07:39 PM   #34
Guru

City: kemah
Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzkim View Post
Yes there is. The gaskets seals the end of the end of the manifold ports. Strikes me funny why the didn't just cast it shut because the anti freeze doesn't circulate there. I suspect that's where my problem began withe the failure of that gasket for whatever reason
I have lots of saltwater flowing from the raw water pump and the elbow was ok but grungy
same manifold can be used for raw water cooling by using an open gasket.

what_barnacles is offline   Reply With Quote