Old 04-20-2016, 12:15 PM   #1
Guru

City: Philadelphia, PA
Vessel Name: Revel
Vessel Model: 1984 Fu Hwa 39
Europa Sedan flybridge structure

I have two or three projects in mind which will require getting into/affixing to the flybridge deck structure. I'm replacing the flybridge ladder with one that's less steep (the current Teak ladder will be available). I'm replacing the rotted wood mast and mounting it w/o stays. I'm adding a davit to lift a kayak to the flybridge wing. I'll post progress pics separately as I beg for specific help and experience.

The deck is about 3" thick with fiberglass top and bottom, no visible joins. I imagine that the deck is the same sort of balsa-cored structure that is visible in the aft deck over the lazarette, with wood furring/beams and the bottom 'glass surface tabbed and puttied in around the perimeter. Nice, neat work. No obvious access for a peek except perhaps through the light fixtures or maybe by removing some of the salon headliner. The survey found damp in the 'wings' but not elsewhere on that deck. There is Teak decking within the flybridge enclosure but 1/4" thick glued-on non-skid surfaces outside.

What's the structure in it? What's the glued-on nonskid stuff?

Given the shared heritage of the Taiwanese-built boats it's not surprising to see the same details, the acoustic tile in the ERs, the nonskid, etc.

DHeckrotte is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 11:42 AM   #2
Guru

City: Philadelphia, PA
Vessel Name: Revel
Vessel Model: 1984 Fu Hwa 39
I've removed an overhead light and an access panel to the underside of the old radar mast location. As guessed at above, the flybridge structure is, from topside:
Nonskid pad/surface, or Teak, or 'gelcoat, depending upon where you look.
1/4" +/- fiberglass.
1/2" end grain balsa.
1/8" + fiberglass
1 3/4" cavity with fiberglass covered beams or hat channels glassed to the layup above.
1/8" +/- fiberglass overhead with sand-textured gelcoat, bonded to the fiberglass beams with polyester putty.

The locations of the beams are not obvious and seem to run both transverse and longitudinally (only a very small sample was seen). Where the deck passes over the salon bulkhead, the gaps between the beams are foamed full making fishing wire after the fact a tough problem. Conduits were installed at time of construction for builder-installed wiring.

Pics include a general view, a look up into the maststep access showing the conduit leading to the stern running light and the open hole where mast-mounted lights' wires had run, a look up into the space for the ceiling light - its wires pass into a conduit coming through an adjacent beam.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2016-04-27 at AYS LightFixture.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	134.7 KB
ID:	51232   Click image for larger version

Name:	2016-04-27 at AYS OldMastStep.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	101.0 KB
ID:	51233   Click image for larger version

Name:	2016-04-27 at AYS OverheadFlybridge.jpg
Views:	47