Old 01-11-2011, 11:57 AM   #1

City: Rochester, NY
Vessel Model: Albin 43 Trawler
engine room insulation

im in the middle of replacing the fuel tanks in my trawler. While the tanks are out im looking to replace some of the insulation in the engine room. What can you recomend? Ive heard of the sundown insulation but its very expensive and im looking to hopefully find something on the cheaper side. thanks!
albin43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 01:28 PM   #2
Enigma

City: Slicker?
RE: engine room insulation

Hiya,
** Mr. albin43.* TOTALY off the wall but what about more of the same (new and marinized, if it ever was) since the original "stuff" lasted this many years?
RT Firefly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 01:43 PM   #3
Guru

City: Toms River
Vessel Name: V E N T U R E
Vessel Model: 1996 36' Island Gypsy Classic

Interesting thread- I wondered about possible replacement material also.* I was thinking maybe fiberglass duct board, the type they use to make duct work in attics and stuff.* It comes in sheets and is usually 1" thick and has a foil face on it.* I used to work for an hvac company and I know it has some ULrating for fire. I also know it is not so good for ducts because the air moving inside it picks up particles and they get in the air stream.** Installed as an insulation with the foil facing the engine compartment this would not be an issue. It is fairly cheap, not sure how well it soundproofs, but bet it is as good as acoustical tile.*
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 02:00 PM   #4
Guru

City: Bellingham, WA
Vessel Name: Happy Destiny
Vessel Model: Custom Lobster Yacht
engine room insulation

Quote:
JohnP wrote:

Interesting thread- I wondered about possible replacement material also.* I was thinking maybe fiberglass duct board, the type they use to make duct work in attics and stuff.* It comes in sheets and is usually 1" thick and has a foil face on it.* I used to work for an hvac company and I know it has some ULrating for fire. I also know it is not so good for ducts because the air moving inside it picks up particles and they get in the air stream.** Installed as an insulation with the foil facing the engine compartment this would not be an issue. It is fairly cheap, not sure how well it soundproofs, but bet it is as good as acoustical tile.
Do you want to insulate or do you want to sound deaden? Insulating is what it's made for, not sound deadening. The rubber foam with lead shield is the only way to go. Go cheap and you get exactly what you pay for.

-- Edited by Carey on Tuesday 11th of January 2011 04:45:01 PM
Carey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 05:47 PM   #5
Guru

Quote:
Carey wrote:

JohnP wrote:

Interesting thread- I wondered about possible replacement material also.* I was thinking maybe fiberglass duct board, the type they use to make duct work in attics and stuff.* It comes in sheets and is usually 1" thick and has a foil face on it.* I used to work for an hvac company and I know it has some ULrating for fire. I also know it is not so good for ducts because the air moving inside it picks up particles and they get in the air stream.** Installed as an insulation with the foil facing the engine compartment this would not be an issue. It is fairly cheap, not sure how well it soundproofs, but bet it is as good as acoustical tile.
Do you want to insulate or do you want to sound deaden? Insulating is what it's made for, not sound deadening. The rubber foam with lead shield is the only way to go. Go cheap and you get exactly what you pay for.

*You are probably right- My lehman 120 is quiet enough at crusing RPM to converse normally or listen to music without much effort.* I had an Albin 27 with a 155hp Isuzu engine that was actually painful at higher speeds. I was going to go the soundown route but sold the boat instead.** It was a great boat, but now if I want complete quiet, I pilot from the flybridge.* Just a soft drone and actually more sound from wind, and other boats.

-- Edited by Carey on Tuesday 11th of January 2011 04:45:01 PM

Old 01-11-2011, 06:27 PM   #6
Guru

City: Groton, CT
Vessel Name: Datenight
Vessel Model: North Pacific 45

We went the Soundown route seven years ago. It was/is expensive but the results are amazing. Before, had to raise the voice at the lower helm at 1750 rpm. Now easy conversation. Be sure to seal all openings between engine room and saloon.

Rob
37' Sedan
Datenight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 10:20 PM   #7
Guru

City: Cruising East Coast US
Vessel Name: Grace
Vessel Model: DeFever 48

John,
Interesting, we have a Lehman 120 now and our previous boat was an Albin 27 but with a Lehman 90 and it was painfully loud although I think much of that had to do with the pilothouse design.
Daddyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 05:49 AM   #8
Guru

Quote:
Daddyo wrote:

John,
Interesting, we have a Lehman 120 now and our previous boat was an Albin 27 but with a Lehman 90 and it was painfully loud although I think much of that had to do with the pilothouse design.

I agree there were too many hard shiny surfaces and the sound just seemed to bounce around.* She had a good turn of speed and when we wanted to get somewhere quick we actually used earplugs. Still the basic design of the boat was not bad, the noise is why we sold her.** JEP
Old 01-12-2011, 06:50 AM   #9

City: Lynbrook, NY
Vessel Name: Grey Ghost
Vessel Model: Seapiper 35

I used this product on Tortuga. Used it on hatches and areas in engine compartment that I could reach and it really made a noticeable difference in sound level in pilothouse. Orginally only fiberglass insulation held in place with metal screening. http://www.sailorssolutions.com/?pag...=SPM&submit=Go You can order what you need. Very easy to apply and I added metal duct tape over all the seams as well.
chiropaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 07:43 AM   #10

I replaced mine with a product from Lowe's. It is a silver foil backed material, can't remember name, but its located in the place where all the duct work is found. It comes in a large roll and can be glues on with construction cement
marinetrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 08:46 AM   #11

Quote:
marinetrader wrote:

I replaced mine with a product from Lowe's. It is a silver foil backed material, can't remember name, but its located in the place where all the duct work is found. It comes in a large roll and can be glues on with construction cement
*how is it?
Old 01-12-2011, 08:02 PM   #12
TF Site Team/Forum Founder

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Name: Floatsome & Jetsome
Vessel Model: Meridian 411

On my last boat it had a generator that did not have a sound shield. There is a guy down here that works in the plants building sound enclosures. He used a material that had lead encased in vinyl and it worked amazingly well. I paid $500 for it and that was custom made with all of the access points cut out. I would think that just covering a wall with it would be quite easy. In fact, the engine cover on my boat is some crappy azz foily crap that traps water.....Mainship really cheaped out on it. I am going to get this guy to put a layer on the engine cover....I am sure it would work great!
Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 09:22 PM   #13
Guru

This is the stuff I have in parts of my engine room. I intend to place it throughout.

http://www.cyber-bridge-marine.com/E...dproofing.html
Old 01-13-2011, 04:31 AM   #14
TF Site Team

City: Ex-Brisbane, (Australia), now Bribie Island, Qld
Vessel Name: Now boatless - sold 6/2018
Vessel Model: Had a Clipper (CHB) 34

Hey I just clicked on the link, forgetting to hold down command (Mac) and it opened in a new window, have you done tweaked it John, or did Carey do something tricky to his link?
Peter B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 09:22 AM   #15
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: Circuit Breaker
Vessel Model: 2021..22' Duffy Cuddy cabin

Peter:

At the risk of sounding like a complete "dufus", I never knew about "holding down the command key when clicking" and have Just been clicking on the links for years. Would someone please enlighten me about this command key thing.
Codger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 12:39 PM   #16
Guru

engine room insulation

Quote:
SeaHorse II wrote:

Peter:

At the risk of sounding like a complete "dufus", I never knew about "holding down the command key when clicking" and have Just been clicking on the links for years. Would someone please enlighten me about this command key thing.
WaltThere are many key stroke commands that can speed up the process. Especially if your hands are already on the keyboard, and not on the mouse. I work primarily in Mac, so I'm not so savvy with PC keystrokes, but there are many shared by both. A quick example is "command/c" = copy, "command/x" = cut, and "command/v"= paste.*

-- Edited by Carey on Thursday 13th of January 2011 05:02:23 PM
Old 01-13-2011, 12:49 PM   #17
Guru

engine room insulation

Quote:
SeaHorse II wrote:
Walt

Do a Google search for "keystroke commands", then select the one that fits your operating system.

-- Edited by Carey on Thursday 13th of January 2011 02:52:15 PM
Old 01-13-2011, 02:45 PM   #18
Guru

Vessel Model: 2021..22' Duffy Cuddy cabin

Quote:
Carey wrote:Walt
Do a Google search for "keystroke commands", then select the one that fits your operating system.
Thank you, sir....consider it done.

Codger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 03:06 PM   #19

Highjacked
Old 01-13-2011, 03:14 PM   #20
Guru