Electric toilet

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Lots of great input. So if I understand correctly, electric toilets come with a macerating pump. Does that mean that you can put paper in them?

You should be able to put paper in any modern marine toilet.

If in doubt about what paper to use, take one square of the paper you'd like to use, put it in a jar with water, shake the jar hard 5 times. If the paper is broken up after the 5 shakes, you're good to go. Modern marine toilets can handle one or two ply home tissue just fine. Marine TP is a total rip off.

This is almost getting too graphic :) but I have been known to throw a cup of water in the bowl if it is loaded with paper to help a little, still never had a clog but it bogs less with more water in the bowl to help liquefy it seems and sounds.

P.S. I'm checking outta this thread before I jinx myself and have to do toilet maint. this weekend.

Doug, this is tame in comparison to prior head threads. You'll get used to us over time...a loooong time, maybe.

Replaced our old electric toilets with Tecma toilets, eight years ago. Also replaced as much sanitation hose as possible with PVC pipe. Eliminated all toilet issues. Worth every penny.

I secretly like it :)

I just sold my 51' Bertram and a 370 Searay dancer with 2 and 1 respectively, sealand vacuflush systems and they required a lot of attention to keep working properly. It was always sensors, check valves and tank odors almost weekly. Glad they are gone, i have learned to cherish the natural dependability that comes with simplicity. Only elec. for
me

Ok, one more question. I keep seeing vacuflush. What does that mean?

The vacuflush toilets use a vacuum pump to pull a vacuum in a large chamber and the toilets have a small, maybe 1/2" orifice that all of the waste goes through and kind of gets pulverized when you step on the flush pedal. Then it regenerates a vacuum and waits for the next flush. Giant sucking sound but no grinders to listen to and are reliable flushers as well, although I have seen mine bridge a couple of times and need poked thru. the toilet ball valve end., yuk !! At the end of the day I see the electric as simpler and more reliable and that is my creed for now, the less marine toilet maintenance I do the happier I am.

" Dag Nabit , Margret "

I know I said that newspaper was nothing more than toilet paper but you still cant flush it here on the boat " ..... "I just checked it out on the Trawler Forum to be sure "

:)

The vacuflush toilets use a vacuum pump to pull a vacuum in a large chamber and the toilets have a small, maybe 1/2" orifice that all of the waste goes through and kind of gets pulverized when you step on the flush pedal. Then it regenerates a vacuum and waits for the next flush. Giant sucking sound but no grinders to listen to and are reliable flushers as well, although I have seen mine bridge a couple of times and need poked thru. the toilet ball valve end., yuk !! At the end of the day I see the electric as simpler and more reliable and that is my creed for now, the less marine toilet maintenance I do the happier I am.

I guess it's a bit like the ones on the commercial airplanes then?

Replaced our old electric toilets with Tecma toilets, eight years ago. Also replaced as much sanitation hose as possible with PVC pipe. Eliminated all toilet issues. Worth every penny.

We have the Tecma toilets. They have been on the boat for 6 years without a problem.

The best freshwater electric head bar none in my opinion is the Raritan Marine Elegance. I used one on my previous boat for 5 years with -0- issues. I have a new one for my aft head in my Gulfstar.
Bill

Lots of great input. So if I understand correctly, electric toilets come with a macerating pump. Does that mean that you can put paper in them?
You could put a log in the Marine Elegance and I really think it would chew it up.
Bill

You could put a log in the Marine Elegance and I really think it would chew it up.

Bill

Gonna pretend you are referring to one of these :)

ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1405737722.685692.jpg

Different kind of log I think, best left unillustrated

The Raritan Marine Elegance really is a good and attractive toilet. I just got an order to ship two to Australia. The fresh flush or the remote intake versions are very quiet. The version that lets you choose between raw water and fresh for the flush is a really nice option.

"For me the water and electricity usage is not a big issue as I do mostly day or weekend trips. The rest of the time I am at the marina. I am more concerned about the reliability of the thing. Considering the cost (around $1,000 from what I can see) I want to make sure I'm not flushing money down the drain. Lol"

Fotoman, you can get the fresh water flush version with button switch for less than $500.00. With the fancy control panel it's still less than $600.

Fotoman, you can get the fresh water flush version with button switch for less than $500.00. With the fancy control panel it's still less than $600.

Indeed I have seen more products and stores and it's less expensive than I thought.

One more question. If I go for the freshwater system, do I simply hook it to my existing water system? I'm asking because I'm thinking I could install a separate water tank just for the toilet. I have some space near the head and that way I would manage the water for the toilet separately. If I do that, do I need a water pump or is the toilet equipped to dram the water directly from the tank?

The Raritan ME comes with a anti-back flow valve you simply T into a freshwater source.
It's been 100% reliable for me in the past 5 years. I only had the fresh water option.
It needs no pump on the output side or discharge.
You do need pressurized fresh water. It uses about a quart of water more if you have a big log......
Bill

One more question. If I go for the freshwater system, do I simply hook it to my existing water system? I'm asking because I'm thinking I could install a separate water tank just for the toilet. I have some space near the head and that way I would manage the water for the toilet separately. If I do that, do I need a water pump or is the toilet equipped to dram the water directly from the tank?

Ours feeds from existing freshwater tanks. There's a solenoid-controlled fill valve in-line from a cold water line, and when that valve opens the existing freshwater pump senses demand and pushes water into the bowl. I expect that solenoid is also a back-flow preventer.

-Chris

The reason the freshwater flush toilet is less expensive than the raw water flush toilets is that it doesn't need an intake pump. It flushes using your existing pressurized water system.

If you install a dedicated water tank, you would have to install a supply pump.

I have the Jabsco Lite, which works great. It is sort of loud, but compared to my old, squeaky manual one, I don't mind it. I also put in a dedicated 9-gallon fresh-water tank to feed the head. It sure does keep the smell out.

My brand new Raritan Marine Elegance heads with SmartFlush panels just arrived today - recommended highly by the Headmistress. Going to replace both of the 25-year-old Raritan Crown heads!

The Raritan Atlantes is the best unit I've had. Its in my sporty. A bit spendy at over $1200 but worth it. The guest head has a Tecma, it works. I will install another Atlantes in the master head in my trawler. It has an old Wilcox Crittenden type 51 in the guest head. My thoughts on that were , ultimate backup works everytime indestructable etc. That and it keeps lanlubbers from flushing away your water supply frivolously.

The best freshwater electric head bar none in my opinion is the Raritan Marine Elegance. I used one on my previous boat for 5 years with -0- issues. I have a new one for my aft head in my Gulfstar.
Bill

:iagree:

This ^^^ plus 1, with fresh water flush.

Best thing I have added to da boat. :whistling:

I don't know about you guys but black water system is on the top 5 of the most important systems on the boat, is it not.

It falls into the "if she ain't happy no ones happy" side of the boat systems. Just like hot shower, working galley and ice-maker.

Last edited:
Manual head covers a lot of garbage.

There is a huge difference between a $100 Jabsco and a Groco K , or other quality unit.

Back
Top Bottom