Dorade box replacement

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AKDoug

Guru
Vessel Name
Melanie Rose
Vessel Make
1999 Willard PH
I am in process of tearing off the old teak boxes and replacing them with fiberglass ones, finding a half dozen small screw holes into the cored deck under each box. I am seeking the best way to fill them and seal the core, being inclined to simply drill the holes out oversized and then fill with epoxy.

I believe the holes will all be under the new boxes (different shape and different size) so color doesn't matter. I am also inclined to drill the new mounting holes oversized and fill them with epoxy before mounting the new boxes (3 screws) so the screws go into epoxy. Will the epoxy tolerate that or will the screws going in crack it?

Attachments

• IMG_0034.jpg
    IMG_0034.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 75
Drill the hole to about 1/4 inch. Use an allen wrench in a drill, insert into hole and clean/rip/crush the coring. Fill with epoxy, let it harden, redrill for screws. SOP.

Do you try to get the crushed core out or do you just leave it in the hole and fill? The screws are not going to be through bolted to the inside, will the epoxy flex enough for the screws to grip and hold well?

Thanks for the prompt reply!

Got it! I found a U-tube with a pretty good example. I think it's dry in there, but I will be finding out. Do you think this might be a West 6-10 job, or better to mix it myself and use syringes? It sounds like the thickened 6-10 might be too thick to flow. Very little experience with epoxy... I will have 18 holes, of pretty much equal size to fill.

"Get a much of the core out as you can. Epoxy will not stick to wet balsa mud. Get a much of the core out as you can. Epoxy will not stick to wet balsa mud.

Git Rot and other products thin the epoxy with a bit of alcohol that goes after and into the water.

Roll your own but use extra hardener to help it cure.

6-10 can do it. If you go that route get spare tips. What about color matching to existing glass?

Everyone who said dig out core is right btw. A shopvac may help get out what you break up.

Dorado box replacement

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1455463856.050852.jpg

The Allen key trick works pretty well btw. Either by hand or attached to a drill

It may be a plywood core, but I have a Dremel router bit too. When I drill it out to 1/4" I will find out what the core is and if it's wet or not. It was an original install and looked to be well sealed with adhesive but not core sealed. I have a plan, thanks all.

Even if the inside isn't wet, I would still remove some of the core and fill in with epoxy.

Small disposable plastic syringes are available on eBay for cheap. Easy to fill holes from bottom up. I use epoxy mixed to a paste with colloidal silica powder.

They aren't through holes, just 1/8" screw holes into the core through the deck. If they were through holes I already would have known how to seal them, that's why I started the thread. Different situation, same solution, now I know. Thank you everybody for your help, input, and interest :)

Yes, but if you go back to the title of the thread, it's DORADE. Named after the vessel who incorporated the ventilation system into the build. Auto correct changed it on me, but it is supposed to read Dorade Box...

Last edited:
I know what a dorade is and I kinda figured that you did too but I suppose that pointing out that titles can't be edited is kind of annoying... Even while I was was trying to imagine what a dorado needed a box for.

I have a box for Dorados. I call it a fish box, it holds ice and fish. Glad someone else called it. I didnt want to come off like an a$$ (this time). Actually, epoxy is pretty good with wet core, if it can be thinned with alcohol, water doesnt present to much of a problem. But, if the core is wet you got bigger problems down the road.

You'all confusing me....title looks fine to me :)

It got fixed. Sneaky mods.

They aren't through holes, just 1/8" screw holes into the core through the deck. If they were through holes I already would have known how to seal them, that's why I started the thread. Different situation, same solution, now I know. Thank you everybody for your help, input, and interest :)

Sorry, I expressed myself badly. I meant that by using a small syringe you can squirt epoxy paste into the bottom of a blind hole, filling it up as you withdraw the tip. Doing this with a spatula can result in a cap of paste with an air-bubble trapped underneath.

Pharmacies will give you a syringe, without a needle (for measuring liquid drugs) and I have a couple that work perfectly for epoxy.

Thanks for fixing the spelling, I have auto correct turned off so I'm not sure why it did that. I know I spelled it right the first time, does the site have auto correct in the format? It happens often enough on the site that I re-read my posts every time before I hit "send".

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom