Old 01-13-2016, 05:01 PM   #1
Guru

City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
Changed Fuel Filters-Trying Something New

I changed out my primaries and secondary fuel filters and cleaned the Racor housings. What I like about these old 3208T/As, so long as you fill the Racors and the secondary filters with fuel, I don't have to do any pumping as very little if any air is introduced. Another task done on ASD for the trip north this summer.

I also installed these cool vacuum gages on the primary filters. They work like an air cleaner gage on your diesel truck. You can read more here:

Fuel Fixers - Filter Change Gauges
Attached Thumbnails
DSCN0504.jpg   DSCN0503.jpg  
Alaskan Sea-Duction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 07:23 PM   #2

City: San Antonio
Vessel Name: Betsy Lee
Vessel Model: 37 Atlantic Double Cabin
I had those gauges on our Racors when we bought the boat, and after i changed the filters they never looked right (probably user error )

My compliments on a nice looking ER. What is the ProMariner device on your battery wiring on the rear wall?
KneeDeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 07:38 PM   #3
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by KneeDeep View Post
My compliments on a nice looking ER. What is the ProMariner device on your battery wiring on the rear wall?
Thanks.

ProlsoCharge Series | ProMariner

Here was my adventure in installing it:

http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s...ion-17616.html
Old 01-13-2016, 10:26 PM   #4
TF Site Team

City: California Delta
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: 1977 Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Great looking ER, Tom! When the suction increases, does the green/red cylinder become all red?

@DeltaBridges - 25 Delta Bridges in 25 Days
FlyWright is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 11:27 AM   #5
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyWright View Post
Great looking ER, Tom! When the suction increases, does the green/red cylinder become all red?
Thanks.

Once your filter starts to get plugged, the gage will start moving to red. Time to change the filter and reset the gage. One thing I am curious about is when I am running 80% (2200 rpms) will that affect the gages....we will see.
Old 01-14-2016, 12:47 PM   #6
Guru

City: hawaii
Vessel Name: #31
Vessel Model: ex-Navy MUB 50 fish/cruise
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskan Sea-Duction View Post
Thanks.

Once your filter starts to get plugged, the gage will start moving to red. Time to change the filter and reset the gage. One thing I am curious about is when I am running 80% (2200 rpms) will that affect the gages....we will see.
You will see an increase in vacuum as the engine spools up, the gauge will hold on the highest reading taken. The reset button on the top will return it to zero.

With the recent changes in diesel fuel chemistry, it is a good idea to change fuel filters even more frequently, as the "new" fuel is better able to carry water through the filters and into your injection system, so basing your filter changes on restriction is not such a good idea anymore.
I have added filters to my boats system (now 3 inline), and am now changing them every 100 hrs, regardless of the vacuum reading.
kapnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 12:52 PM   #7
GFC
Guru

City: Tri Cities, WA
Tom, that's a great looking engine room. Nice layout with the Racors. I have those gauges on my Racors and they never seem to move. I must be getting some very clean fuel. That, and the anti algae stuff I put in when I fill up keeps the fuel clean.
Old 01-14-2016, 01:38 PM   #8
TF Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapnd View Post
You will see an increase in vacuum as the engine spools up, the gauge will hold on the highest reading taken. The reset button on the top will return it to zero.

With the recent changes in diesel fuel chemistry, it is a good idea to change fuel filters even more frequently, as the "new" fuel is better able to carry water through the filters and into your injection system, so basing your filter changes on restriction is not such a good idea anymore.
I have added filters to my boats system (now 3 inline), and am now changing them every 100 hrs, regardless of the vacuum reading.
That sounds like excessive fuel filter changing. 100 hrs? Did you get this advice from a professional?

Not sure what you mean by changes in diesel chemistry that warrants this level of filter changes. Are you finding water in your filters?

Old 01-14-2016, 01:47 PM   #9
Guru

City: Powell River, BC
Vessel Name: Northern Spy
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 26
Quote:
Are you speaking of biodiesel blends?

The increased hydrotreating of diesel to create ULSD has no implications for water affinity that I know of.

Biodiesel/diesel blends, with the increased esters and acids present in the biodiesel tend to be more polar, and would have a higher affinity for water.

I would not use biodiesel or biodiesel blends in my marine diesel. Or more precisely, fill and store any biodiesel in my boats fuel tanks.
Northern Spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 02:46 PM   #10
Guru

City: hawaii
Vessel Name: #31
Vessel Model: ex-Navy MUB 50 fish/cruise
I should have added that the fuel filter interval will hopefully lengthen in the near future, am currently mopping up after an inadvertent tankfull of biodiesel, by mixing it with, hopefully, clean diesel.
Read Nigel Calder's article in December issue of Professional Boatbuilder if you really want the shit scared out of you!
The fuel you buy may look clean, but that's because the contaminants are going right through your filters due to surfactants in ULSD additives and filter ratings shortcomings.
"conventional water-separation techniques fail to remove from 40% to 100% of fuel-entrained water and have no mechanism to warn the operator of this failure" (Donaldson Filtration Solutions)
kapnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 06:20 AM   #11
FF
Guru

"conventional water-separation techniques fail to remove from 40% to 100% of fuel-entrained water and have no mechanism to warn the operator of this failure" (Donaldson Filtration Solutions)"

For a gas boat , no problem.

An ancient diesel A DE Emulsifier and a bottom drain solves the hassle.

For an Ultra High pressure electric injected engine the de emulsifier and 3 or 4 filters in line might do.

Personally I think this is a fantastic opportunity for the folks that build centrifugal fuel filtration (Alpha Laval) to create a DC powered low cost unit as the modern cars and trucks suffer from dirty diesel from the same pipe line.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 12:05 PM   #12
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by GFC View Post
Tom, that's a great looking engine room. Nice layout with the Racors. I have those gauges on my Racors and they never seem to move. I must be getting some very clean fuel. That, and the anti algae stuff I put in when I fill up keeps the fuel clean.

Thank you. I did not have much "crude" in my filters. When I paid to have my tanks cleaned back in 2013 when we bought the boat, the guy doing the work insisted that by adding the anti-alge stuff when we fill up. He said it was an investment and worth every penny.
Old 01-15-2016, 12:34 PM   #13
TF Site Team/Forum Founder

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Name: Floatsome & Jetsome
Vessel Model: Meridian 411
Quote:
I should have added that the fuel filter interval will hopefully lengthen in the near future, am currently mopping up after an inadvertent tankfull of biodiesel, by mixing it with, hopefully, clean diesel.
Read Nigel Calder's article in December issue of Professional Boatbuilder if you really want the shit scared out of you!
The fuel you buy may look clean, but that's because the contaminants are going right through your filters due to surfactants in ULSD additives and filter ratings shortcomings.
"conventional water-separation techniques fail to remove from 40% to 100% of fuel-entrained water and have no mechanism to warn the operator of this failure" (Donaldson Filtration Solutions)
Are you saying that the water remains in solution??? I have a hard time believing that!!!
Meridian 411...T-Cummins 450C
Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 07:44 PM   #14
Guru

City: Melbourne, FL
FuelFixers also has the same type gauge for air filters too... You install it in the intake between the filter and the turbo intake, or the engine intake manifold and it shows you when it is time to replace the filter.
stubones99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 06:12 AM   #15
FF
Guru

"Are you saying that the water remains in solution??? I have a hard time believing that!!!"

," but that's because the contaminants are going right through your filters due to surfactants in ULSD additives and filter ratings shortcomings.
"conventional water-separation techniques fail to remove from 40% to 100% of fuel-entrained water and have no mechanism to warn the operator of this failure" (Donaldson Filtration Solutions)"

Since they make filters worldwide and are not promoting their product , and they do have testing labs , you better believe it!
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 03:45 PM   #16

City: New Orleans
Vessel Name: Catalyst
Vessel Model: 50 ft Power Cat
I like your vacuum gauges.

I mentioned this elsewhere:

Consider marking the Racor drain petcock "open" and "close" directions. I would end up with the coffee can too full of fuel by the time I figured out which direction to close the drain. I'm slightly dyslexic and maybe the Racor fitting are backwards.
neworleansrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 02:19 PM   #17
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by neworleansrich View Post
I like your vacuum gauges.

I mentioned this elsewhere:

Consider marking the Racor drain petcock "open" and "close" directions. I would end up with the coffee can too full of fuel by the time I figured out which direction to close the drain. I'm slightly dyslexic and maybe the Racor fitting are backwards.
Good idea!!! Thanks
Old 01-18-2016, 08:48 PM   #18
TF Site Team/Forum Founder

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Name: Floatsome & Jetsome
Vessel Model: Meridian 411
Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post
"Are you saying that the water remains in solution??? I have a hard time believing that!!!"

," but that's because the contaminants are going right through your filters due to surfactants in ULSD additives and filter ratings shortcomings.

Since they make filters worldwide and are not promoting their product , and they do have testing labs , you better believe it!
Hey FF....you are the only one that quotes things in a weird way! Back to my question.....Is the water held in solution????
Meridian 411...T-Cummins 450C
Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 10:36 PM   #19
TF Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baker View Post
Hey FF....you are the only one that quotes things in a weird way! Back to my question.....Is the water held in solution????
Just a click of the QUOTE button in the post box. Even a neanderthal could do it.
Attached Images

Old 01-18-2016, 10:46 PM   #20
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyWright View Post
That sounds like excessive fuel filter changing. 100 hrs? Did you get this advice from a professional?
I've found it necessary to change my 2-micron Racor filters about every 100 hours or so to assure sufficient flow to run at near-WOT.