Does Vetus still make custom size portlights ? If not, anyone else ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dune

Vessel Make
Viking 65 CP MY (run at trawler speeds !)
I need to replace 4, that are all plastic... aprox. 8" x 24" cutout size and aprox. 1.4" wall thickness. Hopeless on direct replacements from original manufacturer... since my first post on the subject here I have found out they were made in 1993 by an Italian company long out of business.

NFM has a model that would work but installation looks like a PITA such that I might be willing to pay just as much for some non opening ones that would fit in existing hole with no modifications.

Ran across an article on the web showing custom Vetus ones used but see no hint of custom sizes on the Vetus website. Another possible source is Bomon in Canada (not to be confused with Bomar)

Replacing Tired Old Portlights - Sail Magazine

Actually just new custom outer frames would be better than nothing, as the windows don't actually leak but the outer trim is cracked and ugly on all 4 of them.

Thoughts ?

143798d1437053772-ot-suggestions-making-new-outer-frame-boat-portlight-photo-photo-7-.jpg

Last edited:
If just the trim ring is the problem and replacing only those rings will be satisfactory I would suggest approaching a plastics fabricator to copy yours.
SOme of these guys have CNC routers which can do a good job.

I'm on the wrong coast for any suggestions but I knew a couple in my local area and they have these machines.

Here is a new option, not sure if one of their sizes is close enough for you. You could enlarge your opening a little if needed.
Product Catalog

New Found Metals are based in Port Townsend in WA. I replaced my leaky and cracked plastic portlights with one of their models. They are really good, but like all stainless portlights they aren't cheap. I did 10 of them...

If you can't find outer rings on the web, or find an affordable CNC shop, you can buy a sheet of Delrin or other superior synthetic and make your own very cheaply. All you need is a drill and a good jig saw.

I replaced all but one of my opening ports. The only port that didn't leak had a cracked and sun damaged outer ring. I made a new one for $5.00.

Typically it is not necessary to screw the outer rings on. Just use a good silicone adhesive. Not 5200!! :)

Last edited:
Might be worth giving Broadus a call :

Lookout Boat Window Frames | Fiberglass Replacement Boat Windows: A solid solution to a leaky problem

Port Lights | Lookout Boat Window Frames

While he doesn't list your size portlights, he's usually looking for new opportunities and is a top notch custom fabricator. He's not far from you, here in eastern NC. Otherwise he may have some advice as to where to look.

Very nice looking stuff

he does have a couple ports listed
http://www.boatwindowframes.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/boatwindowframes_portlight1.jpg

Greetings,
Mr. C. I REALLY hope Mr. LT was joking in post #5 when he recommended silicone. IMO the absolute worst thing one could have on a boat except for VERY, VERY limited applications and certainly NOT for attaching outer rings. His suggestion of making your own IS viable though. If you got that route (making your own) there are a variety of good adhesives that will not give you grief down the road (I agree, NOT 5200)
MY suggestion is fill the cracks with JB weld, mask the surrounding area and paint the rings with a rattle can. Now, IF they leaked, replacement would be called for.

When I installed used opening ports and outside retaining rings the "right size" did not exist.

By obtaining a pair of rings it was easy enough to trim the pair into a wide enough ring that would fit.

If you can come close to the width and curvature , this might work.

Best would be one of the modern suppliers and trim the hole in the boat to fit.

FWIW, I called Vetus this morning and it looks like Sail Magazine was very misleading on the below...

An easier option is to have the new portlights custom-made to fit the existing apertures. Companies like Bomon and Vetus-Maxwell will all make framed portlights to any specification. All you have to do is create templates of the openings, measure the thickness of the cabintop sides and specify the type of frame and interior trim. It’s not inexpensive, but the cost is not much higher than off-the-shelf portlights, especially when you factor in ease of installation.

The reality is that Vetus will make custom portlights but it's only cost effective if you need a hundred plus of them ! The mold alone will cost over $4,000...plus at least $400 each window ("portholes" as Vetus calls them) and 3 to 4 months lead time.

Which makes perfect sense really.... I thought it seemed too good to be true and sure enough it was....but felt the need to check it out just in case.

Last edited:
I had some Manship opening ports made (they were not a stocked size). Super happy with them.

Back
Top Bottom