Old 06-17-2011, 08:00 AM   #1
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
Dockside water filtration system

Does anyone kinow of a relative inexpensive water treatment/filtration/conditioning system similar to Yachtmates?* Need to replace mine.* Thanks.

Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 10:45 PM   #2

City: Brentwood Bay, BC
Vessel Name: Golden Dawn
Vessel Model: Krogen 42
RE: Dockside water filtration system

Don
West Marine has Shurflow filters that have garden hose fittings if it is just filtering you need. Basically it just fits in line between two garden hoses. I have used these on board for the last five years, changing them out annually after my spring tank flush.

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs...classNum=10632

GoldenDawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 04:14 PM   #3
TF Site Team

City: California Delta and SF Bay
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC

I use one of these on my dock hose. They're about $18 in the WalMart RV section.

I also keep one on board to use when filling the fresh water tank away from home. If there's a need, I can double up the filters.

Not as fancy as a water softerner/purifier, but effective. I also have an onboard catridge filter under the galley sink. I carry bottled water for coffee/drinking/rinsing.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Camco-Wate...i_sku=14504321
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 11:21 PM   #4

City: Edmonds, WA
Vessel Name: WESTERLY
Vessel Model: 1974 Pacific Trawler 37

Might be going out on a limb here, but:* Most of the places we take water are city systems, and have been told that if you remove the chemicals, the stored water quality will be jeopardized over time.* Obviously depends on the time period as well as other factors.

So, we have never filtered our water supply from city systems, only from uncertified/untreated systems.* We tend to go about 5 years before draining/treating/flushing, and this timing/treatment allows good*unfiltered drinking water*direct from the tap.

Others with similar experience?

Jay N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 05:37 PM   #5
Guru

Vessel Name: Anastasia III
Vessel Model: Krogen 42

Agreed. You don't want to filter out too much, unless the water is rank to begin with. A sediment filter certainly won't hurt. I filter drinking and cooking water at the tap in the galley with a PUR filter.
Keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 06:07 AM   #6
TF Site Team

City: JAX, FL
Vessel Name: Hobo
Vessel Model: Krogen 42-120

Quote:
Jay N wrote:
.......if you remove the chemicals, the stored water quality will be jeopardized over time....**
I'm not sure I agree with that.* The only chemicals that are added by*a municipal water district or authority is Chlorine (sometimes with some fluoride) and that is only to get the water*through the water distribution system.* The residual chlorine, if you put city water into your tanks, gases off in about 10 days.* If start with clean, properly maintained tanks, adding*pure water will not affect the water quality over time.
Larry M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 06:27 PM   #7
Veteran Member

A neighbor at Refuge Cove, which labled their water not for drinking in 2009, used a home made dual filter system with PVC fittings.* He had both charcoal and ceramic*filters.* It seemed bullet proof but was slow.

Like other posters, we use*any potable*water (did not fill in Refuge Cove) with a faucet mount filter in the galley.* We are liveaboard and need a fresh tank every ten days and are not so concerned about water going bad.* Even so, the kitchen water has a distinctly fresher taste than the water in the heads.* It makes a difference in the quality of the coffee.

cheers,
Penny Lane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 08:46 PM   #8
Guru

I have used and ordered another Shurlo filter with hose fittings.* I have two filters in the boat itself.* One before for the city water hookup that I never use, and one at the galley sink.* The one on the hose will be for filling he tanks.* I also hope that it will filter out particles when washing the boat down.

I looked at the filter at Wal-Mart, and will probably try it next.* Thanks for the tip, Flywright.

It may be that an expensive softening system will be needed in some areas we cruise.* Please keep the suggestions coming.* I'm listening.
Old 07-21-2011, 09:14 PM   #9
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6

Quote:
Moonstruck wrote:
...*Please keep the suggestions coming.* I'm listening.
*Me too.* The water at the marina has a lot of solids causing*spotting on the boat.
markpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 10:53 AM   #10
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: "Sandpiper"
Vessel Model: 2006 42' Ocean Alexander Sedan

Don:

For potable water on board, I use a GE filter (Home Depot) just downstream from the FW pump. (They are "quick disconnect" for easy annual changing.) I also use the Pure faucet filter at the galley sink as a secondary filter. To top it all off, I purchased a portable water tester (smaller than a pack of cigarettes), $50, at one of the chandlerlies for confirming the water quality. (Talk about anal, huh?)

Now, for your blue hull. I use GE Mobile Water, Inc, for rinsing down the boat. They put a deionized bottle at your dock box that your dock hose hooks on to and they change it either on demand (you call) or every 6 weeks, etc. whatever you deem necessary. After the deposite ($250) your bill is $17.40/ mo. (You get your deposite back after 6 months if you keep your account in good shape.) There are other companies that provide this same service.

I can't say enough about using DI water to rinse the boat down. Without wiping, the boat drys absolutely spot free. It's probably not needed on white hulls as the water spots are not so apparent.

These applications have served me well over the years and I can remember only one person that got sick. It was "dwhatty" but the empty Jack Daniels bottle may have been involved. (Just kidding, Dave!)

DI Bottle

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	di bottle.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	159.4 KB
ID:	6756  
Codger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 12:37 PM   #11
Guru

Here is what we have been using for* years. It takes care of the water spots from the marina water too.

http://tinyurl.com/3ednljs

Chuck
Capn Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 01:45 PM   #12
Guru

Chuck:* I am aware of this product but a Google search of this company turned up -0-.

Do you drink the water? Must you add salt to the device? As I recall, they are about $295.

(They have different sizes.) I see a lot of the big yacht guys use them. Would you please post the web site for Stain- Less?
Old 07-22-2011, 02:15 PM   #13
TF Site Team

City: JAX, FL
Vessel Name: Hobo
Vessel Model: Krogen 42-120

http://www.stainlesswaterfilters.com/
Larry M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 06:04 PM   #14
Guru

Thanks Larry... The Stainless has to be "charged" with salt about once a month depending on use. And yes we drink the water. Nothing goes into our tank unless it goes through the Stainless first. We use it any time we wash the boat also. Chuck
Old 07-22-2011, 06:20 PM   #15
Guru

Quote:
Capn Chuck wrote:
*And yes we drink the water.
*Since the unit needs to be "charged" every so often & the charging media is of a high sodium content, do you employ an RO unit at the galley faucet for removal of the salt?

My understanding of this product is that it was designed mainly for spotless washing of various vehicles (which it does very well)* and not intended for every day potable water use. Am I wrong?
Old 07-22-2011, 09:26 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Quote:
SeaHorse II wrote:
To top it all off, I purchased a portable water tester (smaller than a pack of cigarettes), $50, at one of the chandlerlies for confirming the water quality. (Talk about anal, huh?)

*I've got to ask - what exactly is this tester telling you?
Sisuitl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 10:38 PM   #17
Guru

The meter determines the TDS (total disolved solids) of the water. A pamphlet that comes with the unit has a table for the TDS values so you can determineif your water is of drinking quality. My water tests better than the tap water in my house.
Old 07-23-2011, 08:29 AM   #18
Guru

Quote:
Capn Chuck wrote:
Here is what we have been using for* years. It takes care of the water spots from the marina water too.

http://tinyurl.com/3ednljs

Chuck
*Capn Chuck,

That is an interesting system.* It seems similar to the more expensive Yachtmate system.* Is there a supplier that discounts these?

Old 07-23-2011, 04:08 PM   #19
Guru

Seahorse, Just because the system is charged with salt, there is no salt taste or salty water in our tanks. When you charge it, you are actually back flushing the unit. It acts the same as a water softener you would use in your home and we use no additional filter other than for particles. We discussed exactly what we planned on doing with the manufacturer and they concurred with us.

Don, we bought the unit directly from the manufacturer so I don't know where else you might find one. Chuck

-- Edited by Capn Chuck on Saturday 23rd of July 2011 04:09:49 PM
Old 07-24-2011, 04:40 AM   #20
FF
Guru

None of these systems will help if the water has bugs.

AKA Montezumas Revenge or Delli Belly (india)

The usual on board solution is UV light units.

The best UV setups are in the tank fill lines as well as the use lines.

-- Edited by FF on Sunday 24th of July 2011 04:41:24 AM

FF is online now   Reply With Quote