Old 07-24-2011, 10:51 AM   #21
Guru

RE: Dockside water filtration system

Quote:
Moonstruck wrote:
Does anyone kinow of a relative inexpensive water treatment/filtration/conditioning system similar to Yachtmates?* Need to replace mine.* Thanks.
*Since this was Moonstruck's original post, I did not see the part where he ask about bugs. Chuck

Capn Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 01:12 AM   #22
Hospitality Officer

City: Pittwater
Vessel Name: Sarawana
Vessel Model: IG 36 Quad Cabin

Even so, the kitchen water has a distinctly fresher taste than the water in the heads. It makes a difference in the quality of the coffee.

cheers,

Cripes!, I would hope so.

Andy G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 08:34 PM   #23
Guru

City: Joe Wheeler State Park, Al
Vessel Name: Serenity
Vessel Model: Mainship 36 Dual Cabin -1986

Quote:
Penny Lane wrote:
.......*the kitchen water has a distinctly fresher taste than the water in the heads.........
*Oh my God!!!!. I should hope so.
Tony B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 09:29 PM   #24
Guru

City: Miami Florida
Vessel Name: Possum
Vessel Model: Ellis 28

There are a bunch of portable water softeners on the market. I like the vertical ones as opposed to the ones thay lay on their sides. All of the water softeners are basically a pipe filled with magic beads that the water flows through and becomes softer. You back flush them with brine to put the magic back in after it leaks out. In the horizontal ones the beads can settle to the bottom and the water just flows over them, not through them. This can't happen in the vertical ones. Take a look at the Boji. It's cheap and effective: http://www.bojifilters.com/
HopCar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 02:43 PM   #25

City: Ft Lauderdale
Reverse osmosis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonstruck View Post
Does anyone kinow of a relative inexpensive water treatment/filtration/conditioning system similar to Yachtmates?* Need to replace mine.* Thanks.

I would personally recommend a reverse osmosis system for your water tank supply. You can either add a small UV Light if you would like but personally I dont trust any municipal water supplies. They are constantly becoming contaminated. What most people dont realize is that chlorine evaporates and all tanks are usually vented overboard where the chloramines eventually evaporate. If you are also concerned about drinking it because its ph is 6 on acid side of neutral add a ph neutralizing filter. With blue or green hulls if you are able to wash the boat from your tank supply then you will never again have water spots, shower door the same, and no more calcification in your hot water heaters, or your sink faucets.

A reverse osmosis water filtration system protects you from the harmful effects of lead, heavy metals, chlorine, chemical contaminants, pesticides, pathogens, bacteria, viruses, and even radioactive materials.
Nauticsail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 08:06 PM   #26
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy G View Post
Even so, the kitchen water has a distinctly fresher taste than the water in the heads. It makes a difference in the quality of the coffee.

cheers,

Cripes!, I would hope so.
It must be a Southern Hemisphere thing. I find it not to be true at all.
http://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 07:07 AM   #27

City: Miami
For washing the boat we use a wetspot filtration system. For the water that goes into the holding tank there are several options. We have two filter canisters we connect to the standard hose bib. One is a 5 micron sediment filter and the other is a carbon filter. If this filtered water sits longer then 10 days in the tanks your going to want to add back some chlorine. Same problem with using the RO system. The venting systems can pump nasties into the purified water supply and ruin all your efforts. That's why we also use a uv sterilizer downstream with the addition of a bypass loop to zap everything should the need arise. We also use another set of filters inline with the RO system for maintenance flushing.

Sent from my iPhone
Old 08-04-2013, 09:15 AM   #28
Guru

When we first got our boat I drained the tanks for winterizing and was surprised to see sediment (sand??) coming out with the last of the water. Subsequently we have used a simple 10 inch GE (Home Depot) domestic sediment filter cartridge in a simple housing with adapters for the incoming hose. I figure the sediment came either from dockside water or from the hoses used to fill by the PO. The GE filter is cheap and does not need replacing very often. I just remove it from the housing and let both the housing and the cartridge dry out (no mold) between uses.
For drinking water we either use gallon jugs of store-bought water when cruising near to home, or use a Brita filter to "purify" our tank water if further afield. The Brita water tastes just fine even after water has been on board for a few months. Never had an odor or contamination problem that I am aware of. One other consideration is to always let the filling hose run clean and cold before filling the tanks. Sometimes the hose water can be quite warm and I figure it is best to start with "fresh" cool water rather than water that has been "festering" in the marina water supply lines.

Chrisjs is offline   Reply With Quote