DIY Bottom Job - Your Experience

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
we are also in fresh water with several short trips each year to salt water. I use ablative paint that will eventually wear off by itself and in 40 years have never had to sand the bottom. I do a full paint job when needed (average 2-4 years) with touch ups in between. most years i will tape off the water line and paint the part above the water. never had a fish or turtle complain about the look of the job below the waterline. The marina will powerwash when its pulled each year so any loose pait comes off.
John

Thank you all for your very helpful feedback. In regards to the yard comments, we have a floating lift. As a member, you get a free up and down every year, but pay by the day for it to sit there. They have a pressure washer you can rent or you can bring your own. I'm not sure there are any other regulations. I've attached a pic of my previous boat being painted on the lift I'll be using.

What a joy job painting must have been on that lift. And if one is claustrophobic?

And I thought I was the only one who thins their bottom paint!
Yes that keeps the buildup to a minimum.

I tried thinning one year. Had so much paint on the asphalt that I almost was told to go elsewhere for storage. I cleaned my mess with a wire wheeled grinder. And I used a tarp for ground protection but the stuff just splattered all over the place. The environmentalists have made life difficult here in Massachusetts. Waiting to see how long it takes them to outlaw farting!

But I do agree, thinning will help minimize buildup.

....in my opinion....one should NEVER thin just regular bottom paint application unless spraying.

just when painting surfaces that need the color but less protection or buildup....or maybe if you let solvent evaporation get the better of you...

...or tbe last bit in a can to hit blocking spots or just be able to get it on a roller....

Last edited:
Thank you all for your very helpful feedback. In regards to the yard comments, we have a floating lift. As a member, you get a free up and down every year, but pay by the day for it to sit there. They have a pressure washer you can rent or you can bring your own. I'm not sure there are any other regulations. I've attached a pic of my previous boat being painted on the lift I'll be using.

Wow, that is some low blocking. No way would I attempt that one!

My only comment is that ablative type paints have given me very short life on all u/w bronze and stainless. Tabs, props, shaft, rudders. I move to Trinidad on the metal, ablative on the FG.
Your waters may vary. Are we talking fresh water usage here?

I agree I have found in our area the prices last few years have been outrageous
so I do my own with labor help. this year I will be replacing the AC seacocks and a few other things. I also use Interlux or Pettit pricey. When I am done I visit the massage therapist.

Firstbase I agree on the low blocking

in our area I save a couple K doing it myself

We paid for bottom job this past November. While that was going on my wife and I compounded, polished/waxed the hull. Two trips around with a rotary and a dual action buffer on scaffolding. What made it hard was that we were under a time constraint so had to really go at it hard for a couple of long days. When/if I do it again I will definitely plan more time so we can relax a little. I watched the yard guys do a very good sanding job on the bottom before painting. Next time I think I might flip things and have them wax the hull and we will do the bottom paint. That's if I am brave enough to just power wash and not sand this time around. Saltwater and ablative paint that was in pretty good shape last time, no flaking at all.

Last edited:
We paid for bottom job this past November. While that was going on my wife and I compounded, polished/waxed the hull. Two trips around with a rotary and a dual action buffer on scaffolding. What made it hard was that we were under a time constraint so had to really go at it hard for a couple of long days. When/if I do it again I will definitely plan more time so we can relax a little. I watched the yard guys do a very good sanding job on the bottom before painting. Next time I think I might flip things and have them wax the hull and we will do the bottom paint. That's if I am brave enough to just power wash and not sand this time around. Saltwater and ablative paint that was in pretty good shape last time, no flaking at all.

They are both hard work the yard I have mine hauled in does the preasure washing and scraping as part of the haul out I do the rest.

This time I am painting up to the rub rail ugh

I feel your pain. While we were in the yard I had a fellow drop by and offer to paint my boot stripe. It does need it but wasn't planning on doing it on that haul out. I asked him how long it would take and he told me a week. A week? To recoat a boot stripe? I don't know ....sounded like an awful long time to just do that.

To minimize the work I do half of the hull (except the water line) a year plus the running gear. Pettit water base Hydrocoat Eco copper free. Plays well with transducers and underwater metals. No bottom growth in RI waters after six months, pressure washed by the yard at haul-out each year. 100+ running hours/year.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom