Dirty water accumulator???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fryedaze

Guru
Vessel Name
Fryedaze
Vessel Make
MC 42 (Overseas Co) Monk 42
Has anyone had to replace an accumulator due to dirty water? I think my accumulator is releasing dirty water into my system. It may be rusty inside. I have done several flushes doing a full drain with the pump off to clear the water. After it sits idle for 6 hours the first gallon is dirty again. It's a Groco PST1.
Dave

Most 'modern day' accumulators have a bladder inside to prevent rust in the system. It it's ruptured then the accumulator will have to be replaced.
If yours does not have a bladder and rusty, the rust won't go away and needs to be replaced.
My vote is to replace.

Dave: We have never had the problem but an easy way to see if the accumulator is the issue is to disconnect it from the system and see if you still get the "dirty" water. It could also come the hot-water heater or are there any galvanized or metal fittings anywhere in the system?

The domestic water system does not really need an accumulated, The Accumulator is to soften the shock/pressure of the water being turned off. In dirt house the end ot the water pipe is about 1 ft above the faucet creating a air cushion. It also reduced the number of times the water pump comes on because of the bladder, if the water pump come on when the water is not turned on to pressure up then you have a small water leak. You can buy small accumulator for about 75 bucks. Being the accumulate takes the sudden shock/pressure it easier on the boat water system.

try running some vinegar through the system - leave it in the accumulator for some time. It can remove rust and it will clean out scales and mineral deposits and it will kill 99.9% of all germs in your system.

Its a cheap trick - but might do the job for you.

Do the same with the loo once in a while....

BoatUS - BoatTech - Boat Plumbing by Don Casey

Accumulator

Some water systems include an accumulator. Large accumulators have pressurized bladders in them, but most small ones are just empty tanks teed into the line downstream of the pump. When the pump runs, it tries to fill the tank from the bottom, compressing the air trapped inside the tank. The pressure from the tank allows small amounts of water to be drawn without the necessity of the pump running, thus reducing pump cycling.

The Jabsco 30573-0000 tank I installed a few months ago has an internal bladder. It's small and inexpensive and made a great addition to my potable water system. It saves the pump from chattering on and off if just a small flow of water is desired.

A tank without a bladder will have to be repressurized from time to time as the air charge dissolves into the water.

I have the same accumulator. It's ~25 years old now and the only trouble was the need to recharge the bladder after all that time.
But no rust, so far.

I too would check carefully to ensure the dirt/rust isn't from another source. The accumulator could catch debris from another source and then feed it although it sounds like you have done a good job trying to rinse it. Just be sure it truly is at fault.

"The domestic water system does not really need an accumulated, The Accumulator is to soften the shock/pressure of the water being turned off."

Many pumps will have a very short life with no accumulator as water is incompressable.

The older belted Jabscoe being the worst.

The momentum of the running pump is enough to cause internal damage on shutoff .

While an older accum might add rust , the HW heater if not all aluminum or SS might be a better place to start.

Dave remove the accumulator and install cap or plug in tee as required and try flushing again. If clear and stays clear you've found your problem. Replace it the accumulator with new.

If dirty water returns reinstall your accumulator and continue trouble shooting. Most of the bases have been covered above.

Is it hot only, cold only, or are both sides affected equally?

Thanks for all the great input. Based on the systems response I am pretty sure its the accumulator. It only happens with cold, but that just mean the accumulator is pushed into the hot water tank when hot is on and it is diluted and I dont see it. I will post a picture when I cut open the old one after the new one gets here and I install it.
Dave

Last edited:
BE sure the replacement is as large as you can easily fir and itt MUST have a bladder.

The cheapos with no bladder require the FW system to be bled down often so air (which is absorbed by water) can refill the accumulator .
PIA.

I have seen SS in the tiny 1 gallon size at Home Cheapo ,no need for the "marine" $$$$$ versions.

BE sure the replacement is as large as you can easily fir and itt MUST have a bladder.

The cheapos with no bladder require the FW system to be bled down often so air (which is absorbed by water) can refill the accumulator .
PIA...............

The one I installed was under $70.00 and it has a bladder. I don't think they make one cheaper than that. Plastic works great in this application because the pressure is low and it's cold water.

And the answer is....

The accumulator had rust in it. The entrance fitting was very rusty due to no protective coatings. The water side of the vessel is plastic coated and was intact as you can see I wiped out the rust in the 2nd picture. The rust in the 2nd picture is a stain. My entire system is plastic with aluminum tanks. I may have set this up but shocking the system with Clorox twice in the last four seasons. Problem solve, new accumulator is in.
Dave

Attachments

• SDC12194.jpg
    SDC12194.jpg
    195.2 KB · Views: 89
  • SDC12195.jpg
    SDC12195.jpg
    124 KB · Views: 94
Got a feeling I have this issue.

Water was getting a slight yellow tinge to it
Drained tank and refilled and its still slightly yellow out of the tap.

Secondary pump from another port, same water, runs clear so guessing it must be the steel accumulator tank which has surface rust.
Tank still has pressure so its got me stuffed how rust is leaching through a rubber bladder.

Got a feeling I have this issue.

Water was getting a slight yellow tinge to it
Drained tank and refilled and its still slightly yellow out of the tap.

Secondary pump from another port, same water, runs clear so guessing it must be the steel accumulator tank which has surface rust.
Tank still has pressure so its got me stuffed how rust is leaching through a rubber bladder.

I could be wrong but the rubber bladder may not be all that touches the water in an
accumulator.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom