Dirty dingy help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cardude01

Guru
Vessel Name
Bijou
Vessel Make
2008 Island Packet PY/SP
So like an idiot, I transported my dingy in a uhaul flipped over on the tubes. It's a fiberglass floor RIB and I figured that's how I should do it.

I didn't put down a tarp, and now I have black areas where the tubes rode on the aluminum floor. Is there something special I can clean it with without destroying the material? The tubes are hypalon.

I've tried soap and water with a rag, but it didn't work.

IMG_0404.jpg
IMG_0403.jpg

Defender sells a new product called August Race. Two parts. one a cleaner and one a protectant. Might give that a try. There is nothing worse than having a dingy Dinghy.

So, you have a dingy dinghy?

It looks teeeerrible! I'm embarrassed.

Thanks for the product recommendation. It looks like aluminum residue to me, but I don't want to try any harsh products without asking first.

I read online that some folks used Magic Eraser with good results? Anyone try that ??

Last edited:
I used some rubbing alcohol to clean where I put my registraion numbers....applied with a kitchen scotch bright pad, came up pretty nice.

Just wouldnt let too much get near seams, though I dont thing rubbing alcohol will be an issue with the glue.

I removed grease marks(from hands while fitting/removing the motor) with mineral turpentine("turps"). Worth a try.

Give Inflatable Boats a call they sent me some type of cleaner that worked well on hypalon... Is it PVC or Hypalon

Be very careful eith solvents near glued srams, even the alcohol I suggester.

Do a bit of research on the web to see if thete are any warning for particular cleaners or solvents.

I know years ago the silicone in Armor All destroyed a lot of inflatables because the shine looked great...but got under the glue in the seams.

Ok. Cool. Thanks. Now I have some ideas. Turps and alcohol!

It's Hypalon.

I was pretty happy with Gojo hand cleaner on my fenders, don't see why it wouldn't work? make sure to get the stuff with pumus

Greetings,
Mr. 01. I thought from the title this thread would be about something else...

I wouldn't use anything of a solvent nature such as: Naptha, turp's (mineral spirits), paint thinner, acetone, benzene, toluene etc as it could easily damage the Hypalon which is basically rubber. I don't know if one of the citrus cleaners (Go-Jo hand cleaner) would be any easier on the rubber but it does work well on shore power cords.

I'm pretty sure the black is aluminum oxide so I'd give CLR a try too. Never know...

Aw rats. Should have read the preceding posts.

Last edited:
Ha! I just realized I misspelled dinghy. [emoji30]

I've used car black mark remover, to clean genny exhaust soot etc of my rib came up like new. It loosens the stuff then you must use lots of water before it dries.

I have had great results from using toluene to clean, followed by 303 to protect. I have only tried it on hypalon dingies, so can't comment on what effect it would have on Polyester fabric.

Yes, toluene was what the repair place recommended. Use protective gear and stand upwind.

I was pretty happy with Gojo hand cleaner on my fenders, don't see why it wouldn't work? make sure to get the stuff with pumus

Yes , I agree - the Gojo hand cleaner in the larger orange containers used with a medium bristle brush will work almost as well as many of the more expensive inflatable cleaners. We have used this on many RIBS both hypalon and heavy PVC of all sizes.

My best luck cleaning dinghies is using Z-Cleaner. My problem was soot from the diesel exhaust since the dink is on the swim platform.

Awesome. Thanks. I got most of the black off with magic eraser. Still a bit of staining here and there but maybe the sun will bleach it.

Just cleaned up my dinghy. It had a bunch of black residue. Used an inflatable boat cleaner called Amazon that I got from Defender.com along with a Mr. Clean magic eraser. When done the boat looked new. This combo worked miracles!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom