Old 04-20-2017, 08:18 PM   #21
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by foggysail View Post
I have the setup the OP is looking for but it is attached to my davit crane. And sure, one can make his own although the one shown in post 1 is HEAVY. I find that its weight is needed to pull the wire from the wench when lowering the hook. I doubt that anything light weight would be desirable.

Wire as in a wire cable or even the lightweight and slippery dyneema?

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 08:22 PM   #22

City: Ashland
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
Anyone know where I can find something like this? I've been googling various combos of dinghy/Crane/davit/hook/pulley all evening with no success.

Thanks. Attachment 63838

Mike-- try calling Marquipt, I believe they still use this assembly for their davit cranes although the sheave may only wire rated. Still worth a call.

foggysail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 08:25 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhays View Post
Wire as in a wire cable or even the lightweight and slippery dyneema?
OK Dave..........no clue here what it should be called other than the "thingy stuff" on my crane is not fabric
Old 04-20-2017, 08:58 PM   #24
Veteran Member

City: New Tazewell
IMHO, you do not really need anything that heavy. Presumably, when your dinghy is deployed, your hoist assembly is extended and tied off out of the way for quick attachment and hoisting. Hoisting your dinghy in some places is a prudent security practice.
Get sailing snatch blocks from a consignment/used gear store, like this one.
Acheron2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 09:35 PM   #25
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
Quote:
I have the setup the OP is looking for but it is attached to my davit crane. And sure, one can make his own although the one shown in post 1 is HEAVY. I find that its weight is needed to pull the wire from the wench when lowering the hook. I doubt that anything light weight would be desirable.
A large anchor swivel is anything but light weight.

All you have to do is add a sheave to it and a clip and you have your weighted pulley/clip.
Capt.Bill11 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 09:44 PM   #26
Guru

Quote:
OK Dave..........no clue here what it should be called other than the "thingy stuff" on my crane is not fabric
You apparently have wire.

That is why you need a heavy weight clip.

Change to a synthetic line and you can use a lighter weight clip.

You don't want to go to light though. Or it can blow around in the wind and damage your boat or someone's head.
Old 04-20-2017, 09:59 PM   #27

City: Virginia Beach
Vessel Name: Tuscan Sun
Vessel Model: Krogen 42
Quote:
Mike-- try calling Marquipt, I believe they still use this assembly for their davit cranes although the sheave may only wire rated. Still worth a call.

Thanks. I'll try them.
MikeM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 03:33 AM   #28

City: Queensland
Vessel Model: Milkraft 60 converted trawler
Look at stuff that actual trawler/fishing guys use.
Big, galv, heavy, cheap.
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 07:39 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.Bill11 View Post
You apparently have wire.

That is why you need a heavy weight clip.

Change to a synthetic line and you can use a lighter weight clip.

You don't want to go to light though. Or it can blow around in the wind and damage your boat or someone's head.

Capt.Bill-- I wish it was that simple. There is a limited space inside my crane for the winch so a larger drum needed for a line is prohibited. Another problem with line is the larger diameter will require a greater number of wraps on the drum.

The greater the diameter of the pulling drum resulting from wrap buildup changes the pull length/drum turn placing a greater load on the pulling motor. Wenches are popularly rated for the first wrap on the drum and the rating quickly diminishes on each succeeding wrap.
Old 04-21-2017, 08:56 AM   #30
TF Site Team

City: JAX, FL
Vessel Name: Hobo
Vessel Model: Krogen 42-120
Quote:
Capt.Bill-- I wish it was that simple. There is a limited space inside my crane for the winch so a larger drum needed for a line is prohibited. Another problem with line is the larger diameter will require a greater number of wraps on the drum.

The greater the diameter of the pulling drum resulting from wrap buildup changes the pull length/drum turn placing a greater load on the pulling motor. Wenches are popularly rated for the first wrap on the drum and the rating quickly diminishes on each succeeding wrap.
You shouldn't have to go to larger diameter line. Dyneema vs SS aircraft cable, the Dyneema, I believe is equal to or stronger for the same diameter ss aircraft cable and no meat hooks.

Your right about the wraps vs drum load but I think the winch/hoist/davit manufacturers take that into account when all the pieces are put together.

We have a Warn 1200 hoist for our davit with 41 ft on the drum at it's maximum load. Their specs say with 3/16" cable and that length, it has 1000 lb line load. Our davit is rated for 800 lb. Our dinghy, outboard, gas and stuff weigh in at less than 250lb.

I don't know what hoist/winch you have but here's a winch line conversion link if your thinking about going to Amsteel Blue.

Winch Line Conversion Guide
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0009.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	66.6 KB
ID:	63991  
Larry M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 08:42 PM   #31

I am not going to re-engineer/design my davit crane which satisfies all my present needs and requirements. I looked at Dyneema cord just to see how it compares to wire rope; gave up, too many numerical conversions. Dymeema is specified as working loads in kilonewtons, wire rope (at least as far as I got) is specified in breaking strength in pounds. Dyneema uses metric system that I wish was universal while the wire rope I found uses the English or Imperial system.

I have no doubt that Dymeema is equal or stronger than wire rope on a weight bases but because I didn't want to spend the time and effort making conversions I doubt it can compare to wire of equal diameter. This is as far as I intend to go on Dyneema use and applications vs wire rope of SS or galvanized steel rope.
Old 04-22-2017, 01:01 AM   #32
Guru

Quote:
I am not going to re-engineer/design my davit crane which satisfies all my present needs and requirements. I looked at Dyneema cord just to see how it compares to wire rope; gave up, too many numerical conversions. Dymeema is specified as working loads in kilonewtons, wire rope (at least as far as I got) is specified in breaking strength in pounds. Dyneema uses metric system that I wish was universal while the wire rope I found uses the English or Imperial system.

I have no doubt that Dymeema is equal or stronger than wire rope on a weight bases but because I didn't want to spend the time and effort making conversions I doubt it can compare to wire of equal diameter. This is as far as I intend to go on Dyneema use and applications vs wire rope of SS or galvanized steel rope.
Whatever.

But Dymeema, Spectra, Plasma or whatever is what you'll find being used more and more on newer winches.

And it out performs wire of an equal diameter. By a large margin.
Old 04-22-2017, 01:05 AM   #33
Guru

Quote:

You don't need a larger diameter line.

It's interesting that you continue to dismiss something without apparently doing any real research into the logical option.

But again, whatever and good luck.
Old 04-22-2017, 06:37 AM   #34
Guru

City: Seneca Lake NY
Vessel Name: Bacchus
Vessel Model: MS 34 HT Trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.Bill11 View Post
Make your own using an anchor swivel?
That was my original thought as well.
First impression was what you pictured was likely an anchor...Chain connector w/o the swivel feature made into the block you showed?

BIG ones weigh more...

You haven't said what's wrong with the one shown...
Is it yours or someone else's you want to copy?

This doesn't seem like rocket science...Lots of good suggestions worth pursuing.

If you want / need an EXACT copy just locate a machine shop and have them duplicate it and fork over some boat$ !!
Bacchus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 07:08 AM   #35
Guru

City: Windsor
Vessel Name: Keeper IV
Vessel Model: 44 Viking ACMY
As Bill said a couple of posts up, you're making a huge mistake here. If you were to poll all of us you'd probably find that we have all converted our SS winch cable to Dyneema as the opportunity arose. The pro's just out weigh the negatives. Do yourself a favor and look at it again.

mbevins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 07:36 AM   #36
TF Site Team

Quote:
...I doubt it can compare to wire of equal diameter...
Everything I have found says that the Dyneema is stronger for the same diameter.

3/16" ss aircraft cable (7x19) has a breaking strength of ~3,600 lbs to 4,200 lbs based on the manufacturers data that I have looked at.

3/16" Dyneema (12 strand) has a minimum breaking strength of ~4,700 lbs to ~6,500 lbs based on the manufacturers data.

The Dyneema is great stuff IMHO.
Old 04-22-2017, 08:13 AM   #37

My wench is not broken and I have no intention to "fix" it. I have too many worthy problems that need attention without seeking additional adventures
Old 04-22-2017, 10:55 AM   #38
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
You certainly don't need to change from wire to rope. However, when you get to the point when you want to replace the wire due to wear, age, rust etc... then you owe it to yourself to consider dyneema.

This thread does remind me that I should consider replacing the dyneema line on my own winch. The original owner never used the crane on his boat as near as I can tell. So the dyneema line has sat inside the crane for 7 years with very little use. The crane also had a cover during that time so the dyneema was protected from UV.

Steelhead Marine, the maker of my crane, recommends replacing the line every 5-6 years I believe. Probably a good idea even if the crane has only been using a dozen or so times.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 11:35 AM   #39
TF Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhays View Post
...Steelhead Marine, the maker of my crane, recommends replacing the line every 5-6 years I believe...
Thanks for that. I've been looking for the replacement frequency.
Old 04-22-2017, 03:53 PM   #40
Guru

City: Las Vegas/Portland
Vessel Name: Pairadice
Vessel Model: Selene 47
Mike,
This is what my rig looks like, and yes we use Dyneema. Our Dink is close to 700 lbs. so we also added another single block to reduce the work on the winch. Hope it helps.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1282.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	114.6 KB
ID:	64036  

Crusty Chief is offline   Reply With Quote