Dinghy Crane Motor

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MikeM

Vessel Name
Tuscan Sun
Vessel Make
Krogen 42
I think our electric motor needs to be replaced or rewound. Does anyone have a recommendation for someone in the Norfolk/Hampton VA area that can take a look at it for us?

Thanks, Mike

Mike Metts
KK 42-165
Virginia Beach, VA

Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum

Just went through that mess. Electric motor shop said the motor was not reparable. Nautical Structures, the crane mfg said the motor was no longer available. Making a very long story short, the end result was purchasing a winch from Harbor Freight ($149) with a pulling capacity of 3,500 pounds. The crane body itself had to be modified to accept the new motor, the mounting plate had to be modified, the sheave at the top end needed to be replaced as the original one was binding. The solenoids that came with the winch were not suitable for marine use so they needed to be replaced. $1,800 later, everything works.

Good luck, Howard

Just went through that mess. Electric motor shop said the motor was not reparable. Nautical Structures, the crane mfg said the motor was no longer available. Making a very long story short, the end result was purchasing a winch from Harbor Freight ($149) with a pulling capacity of 3,500 pounds. The crane body itself had to be modified to accept the new motor, the mounting plate had to be modified, the sheave at the top end needed to be replaced as the original one was binding. The solenoids that came with the winch were not suitable for marine use so they needed to be replaced. $1,800 later, everything works.

Good luck, Howard

That's not what I was hoping to hear. However, I did see a motor on the Northern Tool website that looked very similar to what is in the crane. I assume the biggest part of your expense was modifying the crane body/mounting plate?

Mike Metts
KK 42-165
Virginia Beach, VA

Who is the manufacturer of your crane/davit? I'd ask them.

Also, if you buy a different motor, they are not all rated for use as hoists. Winches are designed to pull and hoists are designed to lift.

We have a Warn DC1200-CF which is rated as a hoist.

Who is the manufacturer of your crane/davit? I'd ask them.

Also, if you buy a different motor, they are not all rated for use as hoists. Winches are designed to pull and hoists are designed to lift.

We have a Warn DC1200-CF which is rated as a hoist.

Larry,

There is not a single marking on the crane or any documentation onboard that I can find. I can see the motor, but I didn't think to get the manufacturer/part number off of it before we left the boat yesterday. We'll be back onboard tomorrow, and I'll give it another good look over and see if I can find any markings.

Mike

Mike Metts
KK 42-165
Virginia Beach, VA

Yes, that's correct. If you have a pipe crane with the motor external, it will be way less costly.

Larry,

There is not a single marking on the crane or any documentation onboard that I can find. I can see the motor, but I didn't think to get the manufacturer/part number off of it before we left the boat yesterday. We'll be back onboard tomorrow, and I'll give it another good look over and see if I can find any markings.

Mike

Mike Metts
KK 42-165
Virginia Beach, VA

Use a Warn DC1200-CF, you have to pay a little more but it works as well

Sergio "Alemao" Sztancsa
Sent from my iPhone, using Trawler Forum

I tried Super winch 5000 and it cries to lift my dinghy

Sergio "Alemao" Sztancsa

A number of years ago Rule supplied DC motor/hoists to a few davit manufactures. They stopped making them and spare parts about 5 years ago. I have one, I service it regularly out of fear of it failing. My davit's mfg. has a retrofit kit to replace them but at $3500 I wouldn't be in a rush to buy one.

I ended up replacing the Superwinch AC1000 that was in the crane. I just bought another AC1000 because that seemed like the easiest solution...same bolt holes, etc...and was only $300. It is much quieter now, although still rather loud. However, I don't really think this winch is right for this application, so this might just be a temporary solution. Interestingly though, from what I can tell based on info I have from POs, this winch has been in use for many years.

Mike Metts
KK 42-165
Virginia Beach, VA

I bought the DC1200 and adapted. It works and don't cry to lift my dingy :)

Sergio "Alemao" Sztancsa

There should be a bunch of motor repair shops in that area. Their primary business will be for industrial pumps and lifts. Heck, we have two here in little New Bern Nc alone. For instance in NN you have these guys:

Peninsula Electronic Motor - Electric Motors & Generators

That's what I did. I took mine to an outfit that services alternators and starter motors. The fellow said they can work on the Rule winches as well. The outfit of choice in Richmond is Brighouse electric.

Jim

I'm out and on my i-pad so don't know the link.

You might try Endurance Marine .. Surry BC.
I just bought my second capstan winch from them and I know they have numerous other products. Ask for Jeff.

A number of years ago Rule supplied DC motor/hoists to a few davit manufactures. They stopped making them and spare parts about 5 years ago. I have one, I service it regularly out of fear of it failing. My davit's mfg. has a retrofit kit to replace them but at $3500 I wouldn't be in a rush to buy one.

Try rulewinchparts.com, I got a few parts from them when I recently rebuild both my winches.

"I tried Super winch 5000 and it cries to lift my dinghy"

Are you using the added block to cut the load in half?

Back
Top Bottom