Old 01-26-2012, 03:11 PM   #41

City: St. Catharines
Vessel Name: Delia Rosa
Vessel Model: C & L Sea Ranger 47 Raised Pilothouse
RE: Designing and Building a dining table

Quote:
Whistledoc wrote:
If you want to use cherry, I have a barn full...probably a couple of thousand board feet. 4/4 5/4, 8,4 and 12/4. Some of it has been dryng for 10 years and some of it I cut* and had sawn last year. Some of the boards are 12 feet long and probably 14" wide. I have 48 acres and whenever we lose a tree, I take it to the sawmill. Have walnut, cherry, white and red oak, and tons*of poplar, some hickory. You can ha e whatever you need for free...just figure out how to ship it.

The wider the board the more likely it is*to warp or cup. Thicker is not necessarily better as weight accumilates rapidly . When I was building Annie we could get teak for bout $10 per bf. I recently did a quick project for* friend and it had reached $30 per bf in Houston Texas. Cherry is light but fairly soft but is probably half the weight of teak. Easy to work and stain. Has a retty uniform grain with few knots. This is our table. I used 5/16*teak oveer plywood. Plywood is very stable, fairly light and does not tend to move.

Where are you loccated??

Whistledoc, your boat is quite a wonder, your table is amazing, and I wish we had even a small portion of your wood-working skills. *

We live in St. Catharines Ontario Canada and keep our boat at Point Breeze on Lake Ontario in New York State (about a 1/2 hour from Rochester). *We will probably decide on cherry for our table because, as you mention, it does seem to be an easy wood to work with and stain with fairly uniform grain.

Interesting that you mention that you have hickory as well. *We used hickory when we installed wood floors in our home and we also used it for our kitchen cabinets.. not widely available here in Canada, but I love it!

Delia Rosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 07:00 PM   #42
Guru

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44

Dan:
The counters are fitted on top of the original plywood with Formica. I moved the sinks over to give better access to the propane stove top, so I had to cut out a fair amount of the original top to get the sinks moved. The old fiddles were glued on securely so didn't provide anything re-usable, but I had some good sized teak left from the swimgrid project, so new fiddles were simple. I don't have enough left for a table, or it might have been done sooner.

I am warming to your wide table idea, especially if you use two 14" wide wings that rest on top of the 28" portion. The thing I dislike is blocking access between the rear door and the pilothouse, and having to use a portable support. with the style wings you are now contemplating, you can use slide-out supports that will rest under the centre portion and be extended when you flip the wings over. Some as I have on mine, which just happen to be 14" wings that make mine longer, instead of wider. Do you intend to use fiddles? They add a little interest, but may be a PITA when you try to use the table. If you had a huge, round table, like the Doc, fiddles would look perfect. Like you, I can only gape in awe at the accomplishment of "Annie"!

My table:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	088.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	142.3 KB
ID:	9757   Click image for larger version

Name:	087.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	150.0 KB
ID:	9758  

koliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 03:22 PM   #43
TF Site Team

City: Home Port: Buck's Harbor, Maine
Vessel Name: "Emily Anne"
Vessel Model: 2001 Island Gypsy 32 Europa (Hull #146)

Went to check on the boat and the winter mold growth today (bumper crop!) and took these pics of our table for those who wanted them.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dscn0860.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	114.2 KB
ID:	9830   Click image for larger version

Name:	dscn0861.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	131.5 KB
ID:	9831   Click image for larger version

Name:	dscn0867.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	137.2 KB
ID:	9832   Click image for larger version

Name:	dscn0869.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	95.4 KB
ID:	9833   Click image for larger version

Name:	dscn0871.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	113.9 KB
ID:	9834  

dwhatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 03:55 PM   #44
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: "Sandpiper"
Vessel Model: 2006 42' Ocean Alexander Sedan

Quote:
dwhatty wrote:
Went to check on the boat and the winter mold growth today (bumper crop!) and took these pics of our table for those who wanted them.
******** Beautiful!* Nice addition to a great little trawler!
Codger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 04:16 PM   #45

Designing and Building a dining table

Thanks for taking the pictures.... It does look wonderful and it sures helps to visualize the project better!

I've continued to do more research on the discussion of veneer vs solid wood. *I've chatted with several people on the Wooden Boat forum and a couple of cabinet makers have assured me that working with solid wood shouldn't be a problem as long as I use correct techniques... in fact, one of them posted a picture of a table he constructed from solid face grain cherry, built for his boat nine years ago. *It looks fantastic!*

-- Edited by Delia Rosa on Sunday 29th of January 2012 05:17:17 PM
Old 01-29-2012, 04:22 PM   #46
TF Site Team

Quote:
Delia Rosa wrote:
Thanks for taking the pictures.... It does look wonderful and it sures helps to visualize the project better!

I've continued to do more research on the discussion of veneer vs solid wood. *I've chatted with several people on the Wooden Boat forum and a couple of cabinet makers have assured me that working with solid wood shouldn't be a problem as long as I use correct techniques... in fact, one of them posted a picture of a table he constructed from solid face grain cherry, built for his boat nine years ago. *It looks fantastic!*

-- Edited by Delia Rosa on Sunday 29th of January 2012 05:17:17 PM
*Do you have a link to the picture?
Old 01-29-2012, 08:27 PM   #47

this is the link up to the latest post.... the section below is from*
<strong style="font-style:inherit;">kc8pql[/b]*

Senior Member*

http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...97#post3284897

"Yes, of course you can. You just need to use proper material choice and building technique. Use fairly narrow pieces. Two to four inches wide would be best, nothing more than six inches. Choose vertical grain stock if at all possible. If you have to use flat grain material, keep the strips narrow and alternate the curve on the annual rings up and down. Don't use a mitered frame around the top, breadboard ends that are fastened the entire width of the top, or use any other construction method that restricts wood movement across the grain. When you varnish the top, finish the bottom using the same number of coats as you do on the top.

<br style="color:#333333;font-family:Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif;font-size:13px;background-color:#fafafa;" />Here's Alaya's table. Solid flat grain cherry, edge glued, the support crossmember is fastened to the top with thumb screws at each end through oversized holes in metal L brackets. It was built nine years ago and is still dead flat."<br style="color:#333333;font-family:Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif;font-size:13px;background-color:#fafafa;" /><br style="color:#333333;font-family:Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif;font-size:13px;background-color:#fafafa;" />
Old 01-30-2012, 06:23 AM   #48
TF Site Team

Thanks. Nice looking table. Not to mention nice looking interior.
Old 01-30-2012, 08:57 AM   #49
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: "Sandpiper"
Vessel Model: 2006 42' Ocean Alexander Sedan

Quote:
dwhatty wrote:
nice looking table. Not to mention nice looking interior.
* * * ** x2

Codger2 is offline   Reply With Quote