Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 09-09-2016, 01:48 PM   #1
TF Site Team
 
Pack Mule's Avatar
 
City: Paris,TN
Country: USA
Vessel Name: William
Vessel Model: Outer reef 32
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 2,503
Degreasing engine and bilge

While out of the water and drying out I thought this might be a good time to degrease engine and bilge area . I was thinking about getting one of these with a 12" extension . Our local bearing supply has them on sale . Has anybody ever used one? With the extension it's about 47$ .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	197.9 KB
ID:	56193  
__________________
Advertisement

__________________
Marty
Pack Mule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 02:02 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Sea Q's Avatar
 
City: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Vessel Name: Sea Q
Vessel Model: Westport Mc Queen
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 105
I found 2 of thoughts things in chrome and gave them away
They were ok for solvents but pressurizing was a pain
I didn't think they made them any more

I just use a normal trigger sprayer on a bottled product it's easier .
When I do a clean of just the painted area I use Eco Orange a water based d limonene cleaner spray on and wipe off and if I have to rinse with water its okay .
There are lots of cleaners out there that will work.
If it is heavy dried out grease I use a brake cleaner like C Solve. both of these product are in a spray bottle and a lot easier to use than the pressurized canister
__________________

Sea Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 02:04 PM   #3
Guru
 
O C Diver's Avatar
 
City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in Crisfield, MD
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 4,820
Oh yes! Mine came with 2 spray nozzles. I tend more toward pump spray bottles. If you use it with a water based cleaner, you may need to store it with a liquid to keep the tank and trigger valve from rusting. Mine is made of steel and chromed.

The tight stream nozzle would spray a pin stream of WD40 20+'. Ain't nothing better on a wasp nest.

Ted
__________________
Blog: mvslowhand.com
I'm tired of fast moves, I've got a slow groove, on my mind.....
I want to spend some time, Not come and go in a heated rush.....
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 02:13 PM   #4
Enigma
 
RT Firefly's Avatar
 
City: Slicker?
Country: Bumpkin?
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 9,997
Greetings,
Mr. PM. IF you have access to an air compressor, get one of these:
https://www.amazon.com/Air-Engine-Cl...X0C09NRAPB9XF4
Siphon feed your cleaner and also use plain water to rinse. Another advantage is you can use hot water.
I think I got mine at Harbor Freight for less than $10.
__________________
RTF
RT Firefly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 02:15 PM   #5
TF Site Team
 
Pack Mule's Avatar
 
City: Paris,TN
Country: USA
Vessel Name: William
Vessel Model: Outer reef 32
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 2,503
Quote:
Originally Posted by O C Diver View Post
Oh yes! Mine came with 2 spray nozzles. I tend more toward pump spray bottles. If you use it with a water based cleaner, you may need to store it with a liquid to keep the tank and trigger valve from rusting. Mine is made of steel and chromed.

The tight stream nozzle would spray a pin stream of WD40 20+'. Ain't nothing better on a wasp nest.

Ted
Ted, can you get enough pressure in it with a bicycle pump ? My air horn compressor is off the boat right now .
__________________
Marty
Pack Mule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 02:16 PM   #6
TF Site Team
 
Pack Mule's Avatar
 
City: Paris,TN
Country: USA
Vessel Name: William
Vessel Model: Outer reef 32
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 2,503
Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly View Post
Greetings,
Mr. PM. IF you have access to an air compressor, get one of these:
https://www.amazon.com/Air-Engine-Cl...X0C09NRAPB9XF4
Siphon feed your cleaner and also use plain water to rinse. Another advantage is you can use hot water.
I think I got mine at Harbor Freight for less than $10.
I like this idea.
__________________
Marty
Pack Mule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 02:29 PM   #7
Guru
 
O C Diver's Avatar
 
City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in Crisfield, MD
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 4,820
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pack Mule View Post
Ted, can you get enough pressure in it with a bicycle pump ? My air horn compressor is off the boat right now .
I forget the recommended pressure, but 120 psi...

Ted
__________________

__________________
Blog: mvslowhand.com
I'm tired of fast moves, I've got a slow groove, on my mind.....
I want to spend some time, Not come and go in a heated rush.....
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:49 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2006 - 2012