Old 03-18-2017, 12:20 PM   #1
TF Site Team

City: Paris,TN
Vessel Name: Slo-Poke
Vessel Model: Jorgensen custom 44
Degreaser sprayer

I just bought one of these today . It's time to get after the old Perkins . Hope this will help .
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2689.jpg  
Pack Mule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 04:19 PM   #2
Guru

City: Pender Harbour, BC
Vessel Name: Gwaii Haanas
Vessel Model: Custom Aluminum 52
Be careful spraying anything in an enclosed space, very nasty stuff. Consider saving that nice sprayer and brush on your degreaser. If you choose to spray, you need all the gear and make damn sure the power is off because a spark...keep an extinguisher handy.
Old 03-18-2017, 04:21 PM   #3
Guru

City: Pender Harbour, BC
Vessel Name: Gwaii Haanas
Vessel Model: Custom Aluminum 52
I'm starting to sound like Miss Grundy - apologies for that.

"Learn from the mistakes of others, you will not have time to make them all yourself."
Old 03-18-2017, 04:54 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
I use Extreme Simple Green as a degreaser. It can be diluted according to need based on how bad the grease is. I use it 1:1 for cleaning the bilge and spray it with a garden pump sprayer.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 05:30 PM   #5
TF Site Team

I was planning on using something like diluted simple green and keeping the pressure low . I'm gonna rethink this , I had no idea it could be a problem .
Old 03-18-2017, 05:56 PM   #6
TF Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xsbank View Post
Be careful spraying anything in an enclosed space, very nasty stuff. Consider saving that nice sprayer and brush on your degreaser. If you choose to spray, you need all the gear and make damn sure the power is off because a spark...keep an extinguisher handy.
Thanks man
Old 03-18-2017, 06:24 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
Extreme Simple Green is way better than regular SG. Using a garden sprayer has worked well for me. No noticeable fumes, etc. i spray it on and the scrub with a brush then spray plain water and use a shop vac to pick it up. Of course I would not use a shop vac in a gas powered boat. For heavy grease and grime it usually takes 2 times to get it all up. I have a diesel pusher motorhome that had about 1/4" buildup on the rear radiator due to the slobber tube. I tried many cleaners and nothing worked. Used the ESG at 1:1 dilution and sprayed it on. Before I could even pick up the brush to scrub it the grime started running off the radiator. ESG is a bit hard to source. It is used in the aviation industry to clean the aluminum aircraft. I get it at Home Depot online.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 06:31 PM   #8
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. C. Unfortunate I do not like the smell of Simple Green (have not seen or used Extreme SG) but I have found Spray 9 (needn't be the Marine labeled stuff) used full strength to be a excellent degreaser. Safety measures already mentioned should be used (safety glasses/face shield, rubber gloves etc.). Also a good idea to provide adequate ventilation.
Old 03-19-2017, 07:51 AM   #9
TF Site Team

This is what I was planning on using . Keep the pressure to a minimum use eye protection and a respirator. Maybe just a small area at a time .
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2709.jpg  
Pack Mule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 08:03 AM   #10
Enigma

Greetings,
Mr. PM. Yup, I've used that stuff as well. Works just fine. I think all of the non solvent based degreasers are more or less the same. It's simply a matter of emulsifying the non polar materials (hydrocarbon products) and disposing of them. When I was cleaning up my VW engine and transmission last summer, I even used Easy-Off oven cleaner but did it in the laneway in the fresh air with the garden hose for rinsing...
Old 03-19-2017, 09:16 AM   #11
Guru

City: Sea of Cortez, Mexico
Vessel Name: Irene
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 40II
Where are you putting it?

So once the degreasing of the engine/bilge is done, how are you removing it from the boat?

Are there disposal options for the bilge slops at marinas where you are? In my area, I see only used engine oil disposal sites near the docks.

I use absorbent pads in the bilge when necessary, which is during and after I coat my engine with LPS.

Years ago it was common to pump this bilge slop overboard. Has the attitude on that changed for the better (not to mention it is illegal)?

I'm not preaching or trying to be a jerk, just looking to hear your good ideas and learn. I won't always be on this trailer.

Jeff
IRENE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 10:15 AM   #12

City: Kiln,MS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pack Mule View Post
This is what I was planning on using . Keep the pressure to a minimum use eye protection and a respirator. Maybe just a small area at a time .
that's good stuff. we use it for cleaning radiators that get plugged up. just make sure you have a respirator or a good ventilation fan running. also be careful it will etch the surface of bare aluminum. those psi sprayers work good for small area cleaning but a lawn sprayer seems to work the best for large area cleaning.
BIG CAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 10:29 AM   #13
Enigma

Greetings,
Mr. I. I make every effort to minimize contaminating a waterway with oily residue by careful application of the degreaser and use of the shop vac with absorbent diapers inside. Bilge pump is off, of course. Soapy water is disposed of ashore.
Old 03-19-2017, 12:39 PM   #14
FF
Guru

Suck it up with a shop vac and pour the water into a funnel lined with bilge absorbing pads.

Send the pads to Nevada for burial .
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 01:32 PM   #15
Guru

City: Seaford Va on Poquoson River, VA
Vessel Name: Old Glory
Vessel Model: 1970 Egg Harbor 37 extended salon model
Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly View Post
Greetings,
Mr. PM. Yup, I've used that stuff as well. Works just fine. I think all of the non solvent based degreasers are more or less the same. It's simply a matter of emulsifying the non polar materials (hydrocarbon products) and disposing of them. When I was cleaning up my VW engine and transmission last summer, I even used Easy-Off oven cleaner but did it in the laneway in the fresh air with the garden hose for rinsing...
Oven cleaner spray also works well on the interior parts of the engine.
Just be sure to rinse well with water afterwards... I mean also for disassembled parts, you dont do this with a complete engine, although it might still be ok.

I cleaned out a totally disgusting valve cover with serious clogs affecting the passages with oven cleaner. I had mechanics telling me it will dissolve the aluminum, but was fine.
sdowney717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 04:10 PM   #16
TF Site Team

Sorry for taking all day to get back , I cut my finger this morning and had to get it stitched up . I was cutting and hose off of a fitting while installing my new water heater . Dumb mistake .
I plan on using absorbing towels and carrying those to the disposal sight at our marina .
Old 03-19-2017, 10:13 PM   #17
Guru

City: Sea of Cortez, Mexico
Vessel Name: Irene
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 40II
Thanks all. Speedy finger recovery, Marty!
IRENE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 12:20 AM   #18
Guru

City: Anacortes
Yup, done that one, got the stitches when the rescue tape was just too uncomfortable. I degrease with just simple green and often with a steam cleaner. Wipe up with paper towels as I go. Steam melts the grease and keeps it all in suspension. When it cools, it will often redeposit, so keep wet and wipe often. Steam can also blast out of areas you can't scrub into areas you can.

Like this. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0000DF0RB...l_3hmpsy6ptw_b
ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 12:51 AM   #19
Guru

City: st pete
Vessel Model: 430 Mainship
Extreme Simple Green is a great product and works well. I'll let it soak in the bilge with hot water, and use a pressure washer for a lot of the bilge, avoiding the engine or parts that it would hurt. Fortunatly I'm on a lift so easy to remove and dispose of.

A little steam cleaner would be very handy. Actually most of them are hot water vapor cleaners. The true "steam" cleaners are quite expensive, and pure steam will destroy a lot of things you may not want destroyed, like rubber products, carpet, and other non metal products. However, for cleaning engines they are suburb, more appropriate in rebuilding them, as it will damage the wiring, hoses, belts, etc. We use to use them for cleaning printing presses that were to be rebuilt.

However the little one mention here looks very handy, think I'll get one.
Old 03-31-2017, 07:52 AM   #20

City: Newburgh, Indiana
Vessel Name: Quiet Company
Vessel Model: Great Harbour GH-47
Sprayers like this actually work very well!

https://www.amazon.com/IIT-30860-Ind...ump+up+sprayer
Spottsville is offline   Reply With Quote