Old 04-29-2014, 10:00 PM   #21
Guru

City: Perth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pack Mule View Post
This is what's on mine . I don't know what is but the nonskid is tough as hell . You can't hardly grind it off. The paint is not that great it's kinda flaking off in places but what is under it is almost like ceramic bits are something .60 grit won't grind it off.The PO said he coated it with garage floor epoxy from Home Depot . If I can get all the loose paint off I'm going to prime it and paint it with a 1 part from Total Boat . This was a work boat first and I think the nonskid was put on then .

Better put that beer in on a tether line PM. Don't want the fish pigs complaining about the too LOL

Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum
Old 10-10-2014, 08:29 AM   #22

City: Patterson, LA
Vessel Name: Last Tango
Vessel Model: Ocean 40 + 2 Trawler Yacht
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
Interdeck by Interlux...non-skid is very fine but effective (doesn't hold dirt as bad)...very even coating..easy to touchup if you block off your deck into manageable sections.

I have chosen Interdeck to redo all the nonskid areas on the Last Tango after the cabins and fly bridge are complete. Deck prep is almost complete. Removed all the old Berliner junk the PO had put down. I plan to roll the Interdeck out. My Interlux guide only says to use a mohair roller.

Any recommendations for nap thickness?

Thanks!
Last Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 08:56 AM   #23
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
I used cheapo foam rollers as it's designed to be pretty thin...not aggressive...it works though unless your soles are slick and the deck is wet.

Good news is it is bare feet friendly.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 09:40 AM   #24
Grand Vizier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Last Tango View Post
I have chosen Interdeck to redo all the nonskid areas on the Last Tango after the cabins and fly bridge are complete. Deck prep is almost complete. Removed all the old Berliner junk the PO had put down. I plan to roll the Interdeck out. My Interlux guide only says to use a mohair roller.

Any recommendations for nap thickness?

Thanks!
Depending on the solvents, foam will dissolve. As noted above I have Awlgrip, but what looks like a very durable alternative is described here: Trawler Forum - View Single Post - System Three LPU water based long term product review

I don't know whether System Three has a matting agent, but I would assume so (nice for decks), and crushed walnuts word great for non skid (had them hold up fine for 20 years on our sailboat). If you want application tips on the System Three, let me know. It will outlast the single part Interdeck by years. I believe that to be true because I used Interdeck on that sailboat's cabin top and re-coated every three years to keep it looking decent.
Old 10-10-2014, 10:19 AM   #25
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
We just painted our foredeck and side decks w Brightside. We have a FG deck that is textured and have never had a traction problem.

However as the paint name implies it's glossy. The Brightside may in time prove to be too "bright" and then we'll probably overcoat it w Interdeck. We looked into gloss reducers after the first coat but decided not to.

I'm sure glad Chris wanted to two tone the larger anti-skid areas w the borders. We've got a light brown (tan) on the textured larger areas and dark green for the stripes and borders. I really like the look.

I use domestic floor paint in the salon.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 06:33 PM   #26
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
My thoughts on some boat areas...paint it as simple as you can...because for all kinds of reasons the surface gets discolored, marred, chipped, etc...and taping off a couple areas any nice day, pop open a can, roll on another coat in an hour or less....bingo...done.

That to me beats the butt off of worrying about high priced paint and time intensive prep/worry.

I've done it both ways and like my system..but obviously there are others...
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 07:38 PM   #27
Guru

City: St. Petersburg, Florida
Vessel Name: M/V Sherpa
Vessel Model: 24' Vashon Diesel Cruiser
Everything exterior (decks, hull, cabin, etc.) on Sherpa is Awlgrip paint. Amazing stuff and most durable. It has held up very well to intense Florida UV.
Attached Thumbnails
van der Kaay 2. 8 . 13 (8).jpg   van der Kaay 4.10 2013 (2).jpg  
Old 03-19-2015, 02:51 PM   #28

City: Kalama, WA
Vessel Name: "Restitution"
Vessel Model: 38' Californian
I too am ready to re-paint. I presently have baby blue paint on decks. Likely two coats of it. Im considering repainting with a beige. My concern is that some of the old paint is chipping and coming up (by diesel fills on back deck-Probably not prepped properly). This fact predetermines that I need to scrape off paint where I can to get to a good sub-strait. Will either AwlGrip or Interdeck effectively fill in where needed? Will changing to a different color be a concern for possible later chipping?

As far as using inexpensive paint, I enjoy Thomas Jefferson's quote: "There is no economy in using cheap paint".
Restitution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 05:32 PM   #29
Veteran Member

City: Jacksonville, NC
Vessel Name: Tra Sea Time
Vessel Model: 1989 Marine Trader 38 DC
Any of you have any advice on how to apply deck paint to a textured fiberglass deck??. Brush, roller, spray ??? Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1426804313.824792.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	23.3 KB
ID:	38411
Ronald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 06:39 PM   #30

City: Portland, OR
Vessel Name: Antipodes
Vessel Model: Yachtsmiths
If you need some good videos on the process check out this guy:

https://www.youtube.com/user/boatworkstoday

Excellent instructional videos on painting.
Rsysol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 06:43 PM   #31
Guru

City: Mt Crested Butte
Vessel Name: Artemis
Vessel Model: Cheoy Lee 67
18 months ago I sanded well applied 2 coats of interlux epoxy primer followed by one coat with a smooth foam roller. I kept the interdeck stirred constantly to keep non skid well distributed. Deck holding up well with lots of traffic. Only had time for one coat as leaving the boat for 3 months in Sint Maarten.
Martin J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 08:01 PM   #32

City: Victoria, BC
Vessel Name: Timeless
Vessel Model: CHB 34
A great resource for paint & prep information here:

Yachtpaintforum.com
Doug is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 08:04 PM   #33
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronald View Post
Any of you have any advice on how to apply deck paint to a textured fiberglass deck??. Brush, roller, spray ??? Attachment 38411
Existing texture nonskid? I'd brush or spray.
Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 08:47 PM   #34
Guru

City: Diberville Mississippi
Vessel Name: KnotDoneYet
Vessel Model: 1983 42' Present Sundeck
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rsysol View Post
If you need some good videos on the process check out this guy:

https://www.youtube.com/user/boatworkstoday

Excellent instructional videos on painting.

Ditto, I don't remember the product, but within the last week he posted a new video on a new non skid product that was very favorable.

1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️