Old 10-13-2015, 03:34 PM   #21
City: DC
Vessel Name: Carolena II
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 32/34
We have two bearings. One is where the shaft exits the hull, the other is inside the boat where the shaft leaves the open shaft log inside the boat. No struts. The outside one was changed when we bought the boat with around 800 hours because the rubber had expanded and was binding on the shaft. The bearings weren't too bad, probably around $100-$150 as best I recall. The original quote from the yard to replace it was quite high, as they said they needed to pull the shaft, which also requires dropping the rudder. My independent tech did it for 1 hour labor, as there was enough of the shell sticking out of the log to get a puller on it. We replaced the one inside the boat ourselves a couple years ago after the PSS water cooling line crimped and caused everything to overheat. According to the factory and other owners that one was going to require pulling the shaft (and dropping the rudder). We decided to try it first without pulling the shaft and got lucky as we were able to pull the shaft back just enough to change it without pulling the shaft or rudder. Actually, we didn't even haul the boat, did it in the slip. Only hard part was getting the coupling off the shaft. I guess labor all comes down to how much has to be disassembled, and every boat will be different (or in our case, two of the same boat can even be a little different).

Carolena is offline   Reply With Quote