To Cut the Mast Down or Not

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Someone I know fitted a hinge to the mast of their GB52, using a hydraulic power unit to raise/lower the mast for a particular bridge. Can`t have been cheap to do.

I looked at all these options before cutting but unfortunately all the wires and cables had been run up through the centre of the mast for radar, tv ant., radio ant., running and anchor lights etc. and therefore wasn't an option for me but the ones I have seen are very slick and easy.

I too like your boats. My wife and I looked at one of the Great Lakes 33 before we bought our current boat, about '85. We simply couldn't spring for a what was then a brand new boat but always liked them.

Several years ago I met the owner of one at Shawl Bay Marina, B.C. and surprised him by knowing what it was. Most people didn't.
Enjoy them.

I too like your boats. My wife and I looked at one of the Great Lakes 33 before we bought our current boat, about '85. We simply couldn't spring for a what was then a brand new boat but always liked them.

Several years ago I met the owner of one at Shawl Bay Marina, B.C. and surprised him by knowing what it was. Most people didn't.
Enjoy them.

Thanks C lectric, not many people do recognize them but it was funny we splashed Airswift today and a fellow at the dock said "is that a Great Lakes 33?". I said yes and he explained that he restores classic boats and had the opportunity to see one once in the past but had never seen inside one. He asked if he could have a quick peek and of course I said yes. There are a few on the west coast and at least 4 in Ontario. Here's the splash.

Attachments

• Brock-20130506-00081 (Large).jpg
    Brock-20130506-00081 (Large).jpg
    178.4 KB · Views: 123
  • Brock-20130506-00084 (Large).jpg
    Brock-20130506-00084 (Large).jpg
    158.9 KB · Views: 118
C electric - I was the guy you ran into at Shawl Bay up in the Broughtons. And you are correct the Ontario Yachts Great Lakes 33 is a very rare bird on the west coast of North America. We believe there are only three, mine in Washington and two up soon Vancouver Island, British Columbia. Ours is Saratoga Sue (new Sweet Sue), line is named Veleta and the other is Nikawa. If anyone knows of others out here please let me know.

Back
Top Bottom