Covering Grand Banks teak deck

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rgano

Guru
Vessel Name
FROLIC
Vessel Make
Mainship 30 Pilot II since 2015. GB-42 1986-2015. Former Unlimited Tonnage Master
While I sold my wooden 1972 GB42 CALYPSO in Jun 2015 after 29 years of ownership, I still hear from the current owner from time to time. We recently talked about his desire to cover the decks with fiberglass rather than fight the battle of curing deck leaks. I reflected that removing the existing sound deck would affect the overall strength of the hull girder. He called back the other day and told me he that he had elected to glue and screw 1/4-inch marine plywood to the decks after removing the cabin-to-deck quarter-round trim. The bulwark and cabin sides were sanded up about two inches before he applied a couple of layers of fiberglass ensuring attachment up the sides onto the bared wood to prevent water from finding its way underneath. On top of this he applied a white polyaspartic resin (used in tank linings). He describes it as like a truck bed liner. For the actual walking surface he plans to apply a teak-colored material which is slightly rubbery and easy on the feet.

Last edited:
I had a yard and that's about how I did it. If the fiberglass is maintained it will last about forever. 2-3 layers. But cracks have to be repaired as they happen. If much water gets under the fiberglass, it has to be done over.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom