Old 12-20-2018, 11:13 AM   #1
CEC

City: SF
Counter top options

I'm trying to decide on a refinish for the counter top in my C&L trawler. Currently its the original Formica. I would like to put something over it I think, and I'm looking for what others have done.

Obvious choice is a layer of new Formica type material, but looking for options/suggestions. I do not really want to rip counter out and redo unless there's really good reason.
CEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 11:41 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
I am going to use a solid surface by LG on our counters.
Comodave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 12:10 PM   #3
FF
Guru

"I do not really want to rip counter out and redo unless there's really good reason."

Since the Formica has worked for a decade or two perhaps if when you replace it you can make the replacement easier.

Rebuild so you undo a few trim pieces , mount the new sheet.

Then you can change it whenever , for very little cost or effort.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 12:45 PM   #4

City: Stony Point, NY
Vessel Name: VARKA
Vessel Model: Helmsman Trawlers 43 PH
We are having CesarStone installed in our boat. It is a highly durable man made quartz that requires no sealing or maintenance.

We installed this in our RV 3 years ago and have been extremely happy with it.

It is much brighter white in real life than what the sample shows!
AdmiralS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 12:49 PM   #5
TF Site Team

City: Jacksonville
In the pilot house we overlaid the old Formica with new Formica. After 4 years, no problems.

In the galley and head we laid Corian over the old Formica. It’s nice to have undercounter sinks now.

Lots of options out there. From a cost standpoint, the Formica was the cheapest by a lot.
Larry M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 01:13 PM   #6
Guru

City: Here
Black granite with blue streaks. undermount sink. Counter is now a cutting board for scooping veggie off cuts into sink and we never worry about a hot pot melting formica again.
Attached Thumbnails
Old galley New galley.jpg  
boatpoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 01:31 PM   #7

One thing we heard from number of people during our countertop quest was that Corian actually voids the warranty if it is installed in a boat.

We had already made up our mind on the Cesarstone so didn't do much homework to check if this was actually the case or not though...

If you decide to go down the Corian route, I would make sure to get in writing that you will have coverage if the day comes that you need it.
Old 12-20-2018, 01:45 PM   #8
Guru

City: Kilmarnock VA
Vessel Name: Wandering Star
Vessel Model: PSN40
I've watched several of these how-to videos and I think we're going to give it a go on our 70's vintage laminates in the galley & salon.
Old 12-20-2018, 02:48 PM   #9
Guru

City: Bellingham WA
Vessel Name: Hatt Trick
Vessel Model: 45' Hatteras Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmiralS View Post
One thing we heard from number of people during our countertop quest was that Corian actually voids the warranty if it is installed in a boat.
This got my attention, having installed Corian in my galley and heads a couple years ago and it's doing fine in all respects.

If you go to www.corian.com, you'll find find Corian encourages installation in boats and mentions its attributes in a marine environment.
Ken E. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 03:09 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

We have had the LG solid surface installed in a previous boat. No problem with LG having it in a boat. Only problem was trying to find an installer. Big box stores would not come out to a boat due to their insurance. Got a yacht carpenter to do it so it only cost a fortune. This time I will do the install myself since our current boat lives behind our house instead of 420 miles from home.
Old 12-20-2018, 03:30 PM   #11
Guru

City: st pete
Vessel Model: 430 Mainship
Does anyone have good ideas for a LIGHT weight, but strong countertop?
Old 12-20-2018, 03:45 PM   #12
TF Site Team

One of the advantages of Corian, Wilsonart, Avonite, etc. is that you won’t have seams. When we redid our galley, the counter had to go in as four pieces. The upper counter was in the way so we couldn’t just slide a solid piece in. Also the section behind the stove was only ~2” wide. With the solid surface, the seams disappear when the sections are glued together. We did have to replace the fiddles since the new counters are ~1/2” thicker.
Attached Thumbnails
14846EAF-46D5-4FD6-8614-25212013A621.jpg   9549E069-741D-49B0-91C1-FF236368BB26.jpg   CAE6A601-499A-44BF-9335-3439125A8C4A.jpg  
Old 12-20-2018, 03:59 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken E. View Post
This got my attention, having installed Corian in my galley and heads a couple years ago and it's doing fine in all respects.

If you go to www.corian.com, you'll find find Corian encourages installation in boats and mentions its attributes in a marine environment.
Happy to hear we were miss informed! Thanks for that info!
Old 12-20-2018, 04:04 PM   #14
TF Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comodave View Post
We have had the LG solid surface installed in a previous boat... Only problem was trying to find an installer...
That could be a problem since some (most) of the solid surface companies won’t sell to anyone. We got lucky. We know a shipwright who works with Corian. Still not cheap but done right.
Old 12-20-2018, 04:48 PM   #15
Guru

City: New Orleans
Vessel Name: Panache
Vessel Model: Viking 43 Double Cabin '76
Boomerang - that's of real interest. I'm in the same "boat" with my '76. Looks like a good compromise.
sbu22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 05:01 PM   #16
Guru

City: Quebec
Vessel Name: Bleuvet
Vessel Model: Custom Built
I used a bamboo countertop in my boat head, sealed with epoxy and varnish, looks pretty nice and strong. I think I will use the same when it will time to replace my galley countertop or I may go with a wood countertop like elm. I like the look of wood aboard and I don't want anything like melamine laminate.

L
Lou_tribal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 05:03 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seevee View Post
If weight is the primary concern then plywood and formica is probably what you should look at. It will weigh less than a solid surface material.
Old 12-20-2018, 05:06 PM   #18
Guru

City: Quebec
Vessel Name: Bleuvet
Vessel Model: Custom Built
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seevee View Post
May I ask why weight is a concern? Is the reason linked to transport to the boat or anything else?

L
Lou_tribal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 05:07 PM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry M View Post
That could be a problem since some (most) of the solid surface companies won’t sell to anyone. We got lucky. We know a shipwright who works with Corian. Still not cheap but done right.
Solidsurface.com sells direct to the customer. Not cheap but they are probably where I am going to get mine when I am ready to do the galley, probably next summer.
Old 12-21-2018, 12:44 PM   #20
CEC

City: SF
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou_tribal View Post
I used a bamboo countertop in my boat head, sealed with epoxy and varnish, looks pretty nice and strong. I think I will use the same when it will time to replace my galley countertop or I may go with a wood countertop like elm. I like the look of wood aboard and I don't want anything like melamine laminate.

L
I was considering wood but that will require demo If the counter top I think. I’ll probaly just go with another sheet of Formica. I need to have a close look when I take the trim off and make final decision. Thanks everyone for the ideas and product suggestions.
CEC is offline   Reply With Quote