Old 12-21-2018, 01:51 PM   #21
TF Site Team

City: JAX, FL
Vessel Name: Hobo
Vessel Model: Krogen 42-120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comodave View Post
Solidsurface.com sells direct to the customer. Not cheap but they are probably where I am going to get mine when I am ready to do the galley, probably next summer.
Thanks, I didnít know that. I know most Corian sellers wonít.

Larry M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 09:50 PM   #22
Guru

City: Lions Bay, BC
Vessel Name: Phoenix Hunter
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 42 (1985)
Counter top options

Larry: we have the same galley setup you have with the upper counter. That looks really smart! Pam loves it! Is that the same sink? Or did your source another one thatís similar?

Jim

JDCAVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 09:49 PM   #23
Guru

City: kemah
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seevee View Post
Does anyone have good ideas for a LIGHT weight, but strong countertop?

A prior marina slip owner had granite installed in his boat. He had them mill the underside into a lattice shape with the large areas milled out so it was an inch thick on the lattice rows and columns and the voids in between were only a 1/4" thick. He then had them fill the big voids with structural epoxy to regain the original strength.

Struck me as dang near crazy, but it was beautiful and man it was super light.
what_barnacles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 01:41 PM   #24
Veteran Member

City: Channel Islands
Vessel Name: White Knuckles
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 42
I am using Corian. I didn't want granite - no more weight than necessary in the cabin. Found a really good source on line for corian pieces in lots of different colors and sizes at excellent prices.

SolidSurfaces.com

Easy to put in color choices and sizes and decide on the thickness of your corian.
aevdg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 02:08 PM   #25

City: Bismarck, ND
Caution using resin countertops for marine use

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomerang View Post
I've watched several of these how-to videos and I think we're going to give it a go on our 70's vintage laminates in the galley & salon.
Several years ago I took a class on doing resin overlay countertops. I did several projects of my own (family & friends) before I did any commercial installations. From my experience, bathroom vanities are perfect for these products. Kitchens (or a boat) not so much. These resins scratch pretty easily from a plate, cup or knife. You can polish them back out similar to gelcoat, but they are not maintenance free. Most of the resins do not have UV inhibitors which would be a problem in most galley situations.

I have several projects that turned out absolutely beautiful and thought about it for my boat as well, but feel that some type or quartz would be best used.

Try doing a test piece on MDF first. IMHO
Landlocked_ND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 02:29 PM   #26
Veteran Member

City: Berkeley, CA
Vessel Name: Andiamo
Vessel Model: Kha Shing Sundeck 40
We were thinking of hexagonal tile for our galley - that sort of old school look. I was thinking white with a copper edge and back splash.

Does anyone have experience with that? I've seen it on several boats in both the heads and galley and it looked great but those boat rarely (if ever) went anywhere.
Andiamo2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 03:44 PM   #27

City: Grand Haven
I ended up taking the old countertop out and making a new one. I used the old as a pattern and used Wilsonart (like formica) for the surface. Economical for my old 1976 GB32
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4372.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	106.1 KB
ID:	83713  
dsherburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 04:10 PM   #28
TF Site Team

City: JAX, FL
Vessel Name: Hobo
Vessel Model: Krogen 42-120
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDCAVE View Post
Larry: we have the same galley setup you have with the upper counter. That looks really smart! Pam loves it! Is that the same sink? Or did your source another one thatís similar?

Jim
We were able to source an identical replacement. The old sink was a bit rough to say the least after almost 30 years. We like the deep double and all the old drains lined up.
Larry M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 04:26 PM   #29

City: Rio Rancho
Quote:
Originally Posted by what_barnacles View Post
A prior marina slip owner had granite installed in his boat. He had them mill the underside into a lattice shape with the large areas milled out so it was an inch thick on the lattice rows and columns and the voids in between were only a 1/4" thick. He then had them fill the big voids with structural epoxy to regain the original strength.

Struck me as dang near crazy, but it was beautiful and man it was super light.
1/4" granite tile with color matched epoxy used on the seams. Light weight, durable, heat resistant.

Only problem is edge work is a pita. And substrate prep is a must.
lbrammeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 04:38 PM   #30
Guru

City: Whitby, Ontario
Vessel Name: DIRT FREE
Vessel Model: Benford Fantail 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by lbrammeier View Post
1/4" granite tile with color matched epoxy used on the seams. Light weight, durable, heat resistant.

Only problem is edge work is a pita. And substrate prep is a must.
1 1/8" X 8' X 2' 6" (didn't weigh it) granite countertop (less cutout for stove). Easily picked up and installed by myself (5'7", 165lbs.) Weight is neglible on a cruising boat.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	x1.JPG
Views:	73
Size:	84.2 KB
ID:	83714  
boatpoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 04:46 PM   #31
Veteran Member

City: Seattle
Countertops

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmiralS View Post
One thing we heard from number of people during our countertop quest was that Corian actually voids the warranty if it is installed in a boat.

We had already made up our mind on the Cesarstone so didn't do much homework to check if this was actually the case or not though...

If you decide to go down the Corian route, I would make sure to get in writing that you will have coverage if the day comes that you need it.
Make sure that the substrate UNDER the "stone" is at least 16mm thick and solid, so stone should have a bull nose or other "lip" in front to hide the (waterproof) multiplex or similar.
Photo shows our Corian countertop with integrated sink on our GB 32. Works very well! Happy sailing and Happy New Year!
GB3295 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 04:47 PM   #32
Guru

City: Kilmarnock VA
Vessel Name: YellowBird
Vessel Model: 1978 Mainship 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Landlocked_ND View Post
Several years ago I took a class on doing resin overlay countertops. I did several projects of my own (family & friends) before I did any commercial installations. From my experience, bathroom vanities are perfect for these products. Kitchens (or a boat) not so much. These resins scratch pretty easily from a plate, cup or knife. You can polish them back out similar to gelcoat, but they are not maintenance free. Most of the resins do not have UV inhibitors which would be a problem in most galley situations.

I have several projects that turned out absolutely beautiful and thought about it for my boat as well, but feel that some type or quartz would be best used.

Try doing a test piece on MDF first. IMHO
Landlocked, Thanks for the info! I hadn't given much thought to the effect UV might have. You know what? I'll still probably give it a go on both the salon & galley countertops though, because even a sun-faded ,scratched up counter top would have to look better than the brown formica stuff we have now!
Whats MFD?
Old 12-28-2018, 04:59 PM   #33
Guru

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Never Say Never
Vessel Model: President 41 DC
MDF is medium density flakeboard.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 05:43 PM   #34
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comodave View Post
MDF is medium density flakeboard.
Old 12-28-2018, 06:18 PM   #35
Veteran Member

City: West River
Vessel Name: Avalon
Vessel Model: Shannon Downeast 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by CEC View Post
I'm trying to decide on a refinish for the counter top in my C&L trawler. Currently its the original Formica. I would like to put something over it I think, and I'm looking for what others have done.

Obvious choice is a layer of new Formica type material, but looking for options/suggestions. I do not really want to rip counter out and redo unless there's really good reason.
We replaced the old counter tops on our Shannon Downeast with Corian. Expensive, yes but they are virtually bulletproof and look great (at least we think so)!

I'm trying to add a couple of photos without success but will do so as soon as I figure it out.
Avalon36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 06:31 PM   #36

City: Canby
Vessel Name: MV SeaStar & MV Southern Star
Vessel Model: 1969 DeFever-OBC 50' wood & 1970 DeFever-Kettenburg 52' wood
Our '69 DeFever had 2" square blue tiles laid over the Formica counters in the '80s, with a decorative tile backsplash. I love the look, the color and the durability. They've held up beautifully except needing to be recaulked along the back edge. The fiddle still stands proud. Easy DIY project.
SeaStarDF50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 09:12 AM   #37
Veteran Member

City: West River
Vessel Name: Avalon
Vessel Model: Shannon Downeast 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by boomerang View Post
Landlocked, Thanks for the info! I hadn't given much thought to the effect UV might have. You know what? I'll still probably give it a go on both the salon & galley countertops though, because even a sun-faded ,scratched up counter top would have to look better than the brown formica stuff we have now!
Whats MFD?
I would never use MDF on a boat or anything near the water. It absorbs moisture very easily, swells and breaks down. Marine Plywood is the best substrate for use on a boat (IMO).
Avalon36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 09:43 AM   #38
Guru

City: Palm Coast
Vessel Name: Southerly
Vessel Model: 1986 Marine Trader 36' Sundeck
This is what I did. Thought it would be temporary but I love it. Nothing stains it and super easy to clean. Just got sick of looking at 33 year old Formica. It’s a super heavy weight vinyl but you would never know it. It’s from amazon. Offered in different colors and just make sure you get a matte finish if you go this route. I believe it can be searched there under countertop paper. Oh and it adds no weight.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	6CCECE33-8A60-4CBF-A2CA-C7DFE6187CE1.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	129.0 KB
ID:	83734  
Donna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 02:05 PM   #39

City: Indianapolis
Vessel Name: Wolfhound
Vessel Model: 210 Cobalt bowrider
We have used Cambria quartz (never needs sealing, doesn't burn) and have been happy with it.
Wolfhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 02:41 PM   #40
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon36 View Post
I would never use MDF on a boat or anything near the water. It absorbs moisture very easily, swells and breaks down. Marine Plywood is the best substrate for use on a boat (IMO).
What was recommended was to try the epoxy method on a test piece of board. Not to fabricate the counter top out of particleboard.