Corrosion?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BlueYonder

Vessel Name
Blue Yonder
Vessel Make
This picture is from a boat on the hard in my marina. I pass by it on the way to my boat and have noticed that the props almost look rusted.

Attachments

• prop1.jpg
    prop1.jpg
    203.8 KB · Views: 144
  • prop2.jpg
    prop2.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 138
That looks more like calcereous build up rather than corrosion as the "bumps" stand proud of the surface.

Most propellers are "manganese bronze" which is misleading as mb is actually a brass due to it's high zinc content. Manganese bronzes typically show corrosion with pits and a pinkish hue due to dezincification.

PS. The jam nut in your photo is in the wrong place, it should be against the prop hub.

Boatpoker stated it very well as to the metals and the jam nut. What he missed is that it seems to be missing a rudder.

When zincs are working, the prop becomes the cathode and is actually "electroplated" with whatever minerals are in the seawater. Makes a skin of whatever, but metal below is still ok. Color of coating depends on what is in the water.

I try to scrape the skin off my prop when I dive on it, it is a yellowish white here and tough as nails. PITA.

That pitting in the pic might have happened while on the hill.

Yeah but it's not pink. Just covered in mineral build up that happens to be reddish colored.

Back
Top Bottom