Old 06-28-2015, 08:03 AM   #1

City: Orlando, FL
Vessel Name: Barefoot Key
Vessel Model: Marine trader laBelle 40
Correct stain

To all the Taiwan trawler owners, I am restoring a badly mistreated 40 ft marine trader, have replaced much of the salon interior after rebedding the sliding windows. I now have natural wood that needs staining to come close to the original. Any suggestions?
rmorris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 08:29 AM   #2
Guru

City: Venice Louisiana
For teak I use a red mahogany stain, oil based, diluted 50% with Japan dryer. I add a small amount of tung oil. Mahogany is tuffer to get the match. And it needs to be filled. I use filtered sanding dust, either teak or mahogany, for a better color match, mixed with TiteBond Hide Glue. Regular glue wont stain, hide glue will. I put a little red stain in the filler. Let it dry then lite sand. Mix the stain/japan dryer progressivly redder (more stain) until you get the color needed.
kulas44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 09:11 AM   #3

City: Orlando, FL
Vessel Name: Barefoot Key
Vessel Model: Marine trader laBelle 40
Thanks. It's teak, was playing with fed mahogany, felt like it was a little browner, but I will try the 50% solution you mention. You lost me with mixing the glue, how do you apply that?
rmorris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 02:20 PM   #4
Guru

You dont need it with teak, no filler required. Use the bombay mahogany cut 50% with japan dryer. Then let it set a few days. Teak is funny about that, it changes color.
Old 06-28-2015, 02:23 PM   #5
Guru

After a few days hit it with Tung oil cut 50% with Japan dryer. Wipe a coat on every morning for several days, you will be amazed after a week.