Copper Bottom "Sheeting"?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CPseudonym

Moderator Emeritus
I have *read a couple(can not locate them right now) listings of boats for sale and they listed the bottom had been "plated" with copper sheeting and thus required no maintenance other than cleaning.

This has me stumped. Does a product like this exist/work? Or perhaps is this just salesmanship snake oil.

I have searched for the topic in vain on the forum search feature, if it has been covered in detail already could someone point me in the direction of the thread.

Thank you for continuing my education.

Sure, that's the way the old sailing ships protected their bottoms before there was such a thing as anti-fouling paint. The big question is how was it attached. A good surveyor should be able to tell.

* It was at least 20 years ago there was a fellow that epoxied thin copper sheets to the bottom of fiberglass trawlers. I have not heard of this process since then and do not know how long it was suppose to last. I do remember that it was about three grand for a 40 trawler and If still available would be considerably more now.

I very easily could be mistaken but I was under the impression the 2 boats I saw advertised with them where fiberglass.(wish I could find the ads)

Is there perhaps a coating like foil thickness I imagine that would somehow be adhered to a hull?

As I said, probably mistook a boat that was wood construction for fiberglass. Only read the ad, did not see it in person.
Thanks

awpptdt wrote:
* It was at least 20 years ago there was a fellow that epoxied thin copper sheets to the bottom of fiberglass trawlers. I have not heard of this process since then and do not know how long it was suppose to last. I do remember that it was about three grand for a 40 trawler and If still available would be considerably more now.
*That Might have been it, just saw your post

There is a product called Copper Coat that claims to have a 10 year life.

http://coppercoat.com/

Ron

-- Edited by windmist on Saturday 5th of November 2011 07:26:39 PM

The enviro-terrorists will have copper anti fouling for boats banned in a few years. They have already accomplished this in Washington State and possibly others.

While we are relaxing on our boats with a cocktail, they are busy lobbying lawmakers to make our waterways cleaner by getting rid of us.

In 2014 the State of Washing is not going to allow copper bottom paint.* So we will go to Canada.

Used it, doesn't work.

Would you tell us more about your experience with Copper Coat, Delfin?

Ron

windmist wrote:
Used it, doesn't work.

Would you tell us more about your experience with Copper Coat, Delfin?

Ron
*Would love to hear from someone with first hand experience with the product as well... Like most product websites this one left the impression of it being superior

I tried a product like Copper Coat several years ago. Basically it's an epoxy resin loaded with copper. The problem is that copper is not very good at stopping soft growth. It didn't last as long as a good bottom paint with slime preventer. I think that soft growth blocks the copper and then hard growth can get started. Practical Sailor Magazine recently tested Copper Coat and didn't rate it very highly. They did point out that they did a static test and that it might have worked better if you had a diver clean the bottom every month or two. What's the point of using a bottom coating if you have a diver scrub it every month?

HopCar wrote:
............. They did point out that they did a static test and that it might have worked better if you had a diver clean the bottom every month or two. What's the point of using a bottom coating if you have a diver scrub it every month?

In my area, even with a really good bottom paint, it's necessary to have the bottom serviced by a diver at least monthly in the summer, less often in cooler weather.

-- Edited by rwidman on Wednesday 9th of November 2011 07:47:51 AM

I been using Pettit Trinidad which 70% cuprous oxide and modified epoxy since we bought the boat.* However its $250/gallon and heavy but worth it.* When dry its almost like a barrier coat.* The only place we have had grow is where the stands where that was pained just before the boat was put back in the water.***This year had the stand moved, so we should be good for 3 to 5 years.***

Phil Fill wrote:I been using Pettit Trinidad which 70% cuprous oxide and modified epoxy since we bought the boat.* However its $250/gallon and heavy but worth it.* When dry its almost like a barrier coat.* The only place we have had grow is where the stands where that was pained just before the boat was put back in the water.***This year had the stand moved, so we should be good for 3 to 5 years.***

That's what I use but I still need a diver.

Carl,
I see you got a write up in our local cruising rag "The Coastal Passage" re the Rocna anchor debacle.
Good work and in a real voice of the people paper.
Do you down load copies over there ?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom