Old 12-01-2016, 12:17 PM   #1

City: Markham
Vessel Name: currently boatless
Compunding & Waxing an Awlgripped Hull ???

I am under the impression you should not wax a hull that has been awlgripped. Does anybody know what the effect would be if somebody did it anyway?
David Rive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 12:25 PM   #2
Guru

I have a dock buddy who has a 40' Lobster yacht that was Awlgripped in 2001. He waxes it constantly and it looks better than almost any boat I've seen.
Yes, the people who make Awlgrip will tell you not to wax it but the proof is in Gary's 15 year old, never covered, lives in the water 365 days a year, very shiny, white paint. If you ask me, I'd say it does no obvious harm...
Bruce
Bruce B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 12:26 PM   #3
Guru

He uses Collinite by the way...
Bruce
Old 12-01-2016, 12:34 PM   #4
Guru

City: Cypress Landing Marina (NC)
Vessel Name: Heron (2)
Vessel Model: '88 Cape Dory 28 Flybridge #115
I wouldn't compound as Awlgrip gloss is all in the surface layer. I just repainted with Alwlcraft which is more amenable to polishing and repairing yet still very hard and durable. More like an automotive finish. Check out Awlcare for maintenance of Awlgrip/awlcraft finishes.
Old 12-01-2016, 12:35 PM   #5
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
It's good to look at the whole of what Awlgrip says:

Do Not:
Do not wax.

General:
Wax build up ages and yellows very rapidly, creating the need to maintain the wax and causing the topcoat to appear yellow. Wax build up also collects dirt, increasing maintenance.

Awlgrip Only:
Waxing with a wax which contains no abrasives or cleaners will probably not hurt the surface, but at the same time offers no benefit. Regular waxing will not increase the life of an Awlgrip Finish. Wax can temporarily restore the gloss to small scuffs, scrapes, scratches. Sometimes allowing the postponement of repairs or repairing until a convenient time.

Then they include the instructions for other products they have. I know Awlgrip owners who primarily don't wax but occasionally do use Collinite as it fits the definition shown above. Now, I also know Awlgrip boats that have never been waxed and have a like new gloss to them still. They have had Awlwash and Awlcare used on them, however, which is what we do on our Awlgrip boat. While we prefer Awlwash and Awlcare, they may be little difference between their use and washing and waxing with Collinite products. I wouldn't use other run of the mill products though.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 12:51 PM   #6
Guru

City: Quebec
Vessel Name: Bleuvet
Vessel Model: Custom Built
I agree with BandB, my boat is awlgripped and the documentation clearly state not to wax it or buff it.
Lou_tribal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 12:57 PM   #7
Guru

City: West Coast
My last boat was Awlgripped, never waxed and never Awlcared. It was washed, gently but regularly, with regular boat soap. It looked great for the close to 10 years I owned it.
MYTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 12:59 PM   #8

City: Markham
Vessel Name: currently boatless
The awlgrip website says that waxing may not actually harm the finish, but that compounding clearly does.

The reason I raised the issue is that in a week I am going to look at a boat that was awlgripped dark blue in 2012. It is currently on the hard and the current owned (not the previous owner who awlgripped it 4 years ago) had it compounded and waxed recently to prep it for sale.
David Rive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 01:05 PM   #9
Guru

City: West Coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Rive View Post
The awlgrip website says that waxing may not actually harm the finish, but that compounding clearly does.
The way it was explained to me is that the paint drys to form some kind of interlocked lattice molecular structure and that abrasives can break that structure with the result that the gloss is lost. As long as that structure is in tact, it is supposed to remain high gloss. My concern would be that the gloss you see after compounding is from the wax, not the underlying Awlgrip finish. Once/ as the wax wears off, the gloss will be lost, at least to some extent.
MYTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 01:06 PM   #10
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in the Great Lakes
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce B View Post
He uses Collinite by the way...
Bruce
Put Collinite on my Awlgrip every year. Have 12+ years on my charter boat paint.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 01:09 PM   #11
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Rive View Post

The reason I raised the issue is that in a week I am going to look at a boat that was awlgripped dark blue in 2012. It is currently on the hard and the current owned (not the previous owner who awlgripped it 4 years ago) had it compounded and waxed recently to prep it for sale.
The extent of the compounding is important. If it was typical, then the gloss is gone and you might get a bit of gloss in waxing but the gloss of the Awlgrip has been removed. The life has been shortened too.

However, there are those who know Awlgrip well and know how to do very light buffing just to take care of surface scratches, but light enough not to destroy the Awlgrip. While I strongly recommend against trying it, there are those who do it and end up ok.
Old 12-01-2016, 01:13 PM   #12
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou_tribal View Post
I agree with BandB, my boat is awlgripped and the documentation clearly state not to wax it or buff it.
No, it doesn't clearly state that. It states it but retracts it by saying on Awlgrip only a non-abrasive wax probably won't harm and may help with scratches, etc.

Awlwash, Awlcare, Collinite Wash, Collinite Wax are all used widely by people with a lot of knowledge of Awlgrip and are standard methods of care in our area. Other products and waxes no. Compounding no.
Old 12-01-2016, 01:32 PM   #13
Guru

City: Quebec
Vessel Name: Bleuvet
Vessel Model: Custom Built
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
No, it doesn't clearly state that. It states it but retracts it by saying on Awlgrip only a non-abrasive wax probably won't harm and may help with scratches, etc.

Awlwash, Awlcare, Collinite Wash, Collinite Wax are all used widely by people with a lot of knowledge of Awlgrip and are standard methods of care in our area. Other products and waxes no. Compounding no.
Ok let's be precise so... it is stating that non-abrasive wax probably won't harm but advise not to do it. Do we agree?
Lou_tribal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 07:30 PM   #14
Guru

City: Miami River
Vessel Name: Gotcha
Vessel Model: Grand Banks. Heritage. 54
My two previous boats were painted in AllGrip, both lasted ten years before it started to show any wear. It did get washed in their boat soap when needed. No wax was ever applied.
Bigsfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 08:28 PM   #15
TF Site Team

City: Seneca Lake NY
Vessel Name: Bacchus
Vessel Model: MS 34 HT Trawler
Significant differences between Awlgrip and Awlcraft.
Many folks use the term "Awlgrip" generically...
Be certain which you have as the recommendations for care are different.
Bacchus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 10:06 PM   #16
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigsfish View Post
My two previous boats were painted in AllGrip, both lasted ten years before it started to show any wear. It did get washed in their boat soap when needed. No wax was ever applied.
This is typical of a decent Awlgrip finish.
My first Awlgrip job looked great for about 10 years before we traded that boat on our Sabre. It was getting tired and like most people I only used Awlcare on the finish. The white Awlgrip on our mast was not waxed and faded away in 11 years. Awlcare was the only product used on that paint.

I have watched my buddy clean and wax his Awlgrip for the last 9 of it's 15 years now and that paint looks great! This particular boat lives in the water 365 days a year uncovered, it is white (same color as our Awlgripped mast) and was painted by NEB in 2001. If you are in the area, stop by New England Boatworks and take a look at Sea Diamond on the beginning of the 200 dock. That is waxed Awlgrip at 15 years of age...
Bruce