Old 09-17-2016, 05:05 PM   #21

City: Cape Coral, Fl
Vessel Name: Panacea
Vessel Model: Novatec 42 Sundeck Trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by OreWa View Post
You can get new sight tubes from McMaster-Carr if yours need replacement.
McMaster-Carr
Ditto
Replaced mine, got it from McMaster
Just a side note mine were hard to read because of the discoloration,
But mainly because one "shrunk" and came off fitting. It was too short to reconnect.
Many people say you can use regular clear hose from a big box store, but I don't trust it, this is after all "fuel"
Always keep your valves closed when not reading tank level!
Fortunately when mine popped off the valves were closed and th only fuel in the bilge was what was in the hose. (Found on a routine check while underway in Bahamas.)

Panacea123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 05:07 PM   #22

City: Cape Coral, Fl
Vessel Name: Panacea
Vessel Model: Novatec 42 Sundeck Trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lepke View Post
When you replace the sight tubing, close the valves, remove the tubing from the top and blow into the tube slightly, keeping pressure. Unless your tank was full, you won't get diesel in your mouth. Open the bottom valve and blow the fuel into the tank, close the valve. The small amount of remaining diesel can be caught with a rag when the bottom is released.
Cleaning, as others have said, can be done with a gun cleaning rod. You lefties can buy a small rod at the hardware. A small, brightly colored, floating object can be placed in the tube to more easily see the level.
Never thought of the brightly colored floater Good Idea!

Panacea123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 05:16 PM   #23
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panacea123 View Post
reflective or glow in the dark after being hit by light might be super too....just has to survive diesel 24/7.....
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 05:41 PM   #24
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
reflective or glow in the dark after being hit by light might be super too....just has to survive diesel 24/7.....
Or you could put a strip of LED lights behind the clear tubes.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	174.2 KB
ID:	56433  
Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 05:45 PM   #25
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panacea123 View Post
Sight Gauge Float Level Indicator Ball

http://www.univair.com/piper/piper-p...ge-float-ball/
Old 09-17-2016, 05:50 PM   #26
Guru

Or have translucent poly tanks like me and sight tube are obsolete..
Old 09-17-2016, 07:34 PM   #27
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
Or have translucent poly tanks like me and sight tube are obsolete..
You could put lights behind the tanks.

With the right lights you'd get a nice warm glow effect in the engine space.
Old 09-17-2016, 07:42 PM   #28
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.Bill11 View Post
You could put lights behind the tanks.

With the right lights you'd get a nice warm glow effect in the engine space.
nah...plenty of light in the tanks.... I added lava lamps to the corners of the engine room for atmosphere along with shag carpeting and astrological signs painted on the overhead.

The mate wears a red plastic mini skirt and white, thigh high vinyl boots with a tall blonde beehive hairdoo...

Oh sorry, I was thinking of that martini bar on the stretch in Daytona Beach if it's still there....
Old 09-17-2016, 08:42 PM   #29

City: Warwick, RI
Vessel Name: Susan Helena
Vessel Model: Albin40
I'll be there next week, will check it out for you.
mike66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 08:54 AM   #30
Guru

City: Palm Coast
Vessel Name: Southerly
Vessel Model: 1986 Marine Trader 36' Sundeck
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
Here is my port side installation, very easy to replace tubes, yours may be similar.
I am having such a difficult time posting trying to post pics. Yours are exactly like mine. Can you please tell me what you used and where to find them?

I am worried about everything being coast guard rated because of insurance. I guess I am exempt from some rules because of my size?
Donna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 09:19 AM   #31
Guru

City: Thibodaux, Louisiana
Vessel Name: Gumbo
Vessel Model: 2003 Monk 36
The tubing is fiber reinforced clear tubing from West Marine, off of the spool in the store, about 1/2" inside diameter, whatever is on your boat now.
In my opinion the easiest way to change
close top and bottom valves, take the tubing lose at the top, if the tube is flexible lean it over to dump what diesel you can into a bucket, then, as you open the bottom valve blow into the tube to force the remaining diesel back into the tank. As soon as you see the hose is empty close the bottom valve, remove the tube and bring it to WM or other supplier to get a tube same diameter and length. be sure to get the full length, someone earlier posted their tube had shrunk and pulled off of the hose barb.
Reinstall the new tube with good hose clamps and you should be ready to go. As previously mentioned always keep top and bottom valves closed except when actually checking the fuel level.
This probably isn't an urgent project, it will be easier to do when the fuel level in the tanks is below half full. Place oil absorbent pads under the valve area before in case of spills.
Good luck!
Old 09-19-2016, 11:02 AM   #32
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna View Post
I am having such a difficult time posting trying to post pics. Yours are exactly like mine. Can you please tell me what you used and where to find them?

I am worried about everything being coast guard rated because of insurance. I guess I am exempt from some rules because of my size?
You are exempt because you are not a commercial vessel nor are you an inspected vessel.
Old 09-19-2016, 11:14 AM   #33
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Donna, you are doing a great job on your boat.

One thing that I am not clear on. Do your sight tubes have a valve at both the top and bottom? Current standards call for a valve at both the top and bottom of the tube. The idea is that in the event of an engine fire the valves will keep both fuel from the tank from feeding the fire after the sight tubes finally melt or fail.

Not all boats had the upper sight tube installed, mine included. If not, this is something that your surveyor should have flagged as being a recommended change. Anyway, if you don't have an upper valve, take the opportunity to add one while you are changing the sight tube. Adding that valve is one of my winter projects.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 11:26 AM   #34
Guru

City: Melbourne, FL
What about Tygonģ F-4040-A fuel line...
stubones99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 11:39 AM   #35
Veteran Member

City: Rockport, Ontario
Vessel Model: 1986 Oceania 35 Sundeck
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhays View Post

One thing that I am not clear on. Do your sight tubes have a valve at both the top and bottom? Current standards call for a valve at both the top and bottom of the tube. The idea is that in the event of an engine fire the valves will keep both fuel from the tank from feeding the fire after the sight tubes finally melt or fail.

Not all boats had the upper sight tube installed, mine included. If not, this is something that your surveyor should have flagged as being a recommended change. Anyway, if you don't have an upper valve, take the opportunity to add one while you are changing the sight tube. Adding that valve is one of my winter projects.

I do not have valves on top of the sight gauges on my boat. Where would I buy them and new hose?

Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum
Oceania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 11:48 AM   #36
Guru

City: Palm Coast
Vessel Name: Southerly
Vessel Model: 1986 Marine Trader 36' Sundeck
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhays View Post

Thank you! I DO have valves top and bottom. Guess I'm lucky there! I also have a Halon fire suppression system. Hoping to get one of my firefighter friends on board soon to have a look!
Donna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 11:53 AM   #37
Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
I know the rules say a valve on top and bottom of sight hose, but I don't see a big deal with just having a valve on the bottom. Lots of folks use the nylabrade reinforced vinyl hose with no issues that I have heard. Change it when it gets hard to see, usually lasts many years. And leave bottom valve closed when not viewing.
Ski in NC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 12:04 PM   #38
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oceania View Post
I do not have valves on top of the sight gauges on my boat. Where would I buy them and new hose?

Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum
Any good hardware store or marine store.
Old 09-19-2016, 12:48 PM   #39
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ski in NC View Post
I know the rules say a valve on top and bottom of sight hose, but I don't see a big deal with just having a valve on the bottom. Lots of folks use the nylabrade reinforced vinyl hose with no issues that I have heard. Change it when it gets hard to see, usually lasts many years. And leave bottom valve closed when not viewing.
I agree with you Ski which is why I have not done it yet. It is a relatively cheap and easy thing to add, at least on my boat, so it is something I will do as I run out of higher priority items.

The reason that I agree with you is that the top valve is near the top of the tank (duh). So unless my tanks are near full when I have a fire, the upper valve really wouldn't make much of a different. Since I am not planning on having an ER fire, and my tanks are rarely that full, the margin of safety that the upper valves would provide is pretty small. Again, something I will do at some point, likely this winter. However, if I had to change out the tubing now, I would add the valves at the same time.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 09:15 AM   #40

City: Edgewater, MD
Vessel Name: Catalina Jack
Vessel Model: Defever 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna View Post
I have no idea what to call the diesel viewing tubes. I need new ones because I have no idea how much fuel I have. That could be a problem.

Where can I get them and what are they called?
Tygon tubing. Google it. Many types. Many applications.

catalinajack is offline   Reply With Quote