Old 05-27-2013, 05:46 PM   #1

City: Palm Beach Gardens, Florida
Cleaning & Protecting your Inflatable

What products do you recommend for cleaning and protecting an Apex inflatable. Also what psi should it be inflated to, if living in hot climate?
Thanks for all your suggestions. Capt Mike
drmnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 06:40 PM   #2
TF Site Team

City: Jacksonville
For cleaning, any commercial inflatable cleaner for has been as good as any other. We haven't found any stand outs.

For protection, have a set of dinghy chaps made.

Talk to the manufacturer about inflation. We do deflate our RIB when it sits for awhile. The guys who fix them have said, "Why stress the fabric if you aren't using it"?
Larry M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 09:16 PM   #3
Guru

City: Port Orchard, WA
Vessel Name: Violet A
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 42
I've always used 303 Protectant avaialble always everywhere. Spray it on and wipe it off.

Ron
windmist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 08:03 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry M View Post
For cleaning, any commercial inflatable cleaner for has been as good as any other. We haven't found any stand outs.

For protection, have a set of dinghy chaps made.

Talk to the manufacturer about inflation. We do deflate our RIB when it sits for awhile. The guys who fix them have said, "Why stress the fabric if you aren't using it"?
Thanks
Old 05-28-2013, 08:03 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by windmist View Post
I've always used 303 Protectant avaialble always everywhere. Spray it on and wipe it off.

Ron
Thanks
Old 06-20-2016, 03:45 PM   #6
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
I've got age spots on my rubber duckie from sitt'in on top of the cabin.
What is a good cleaner that won't harm the dink?
Used car washing soap and that helped a little.
Tempted to try Chris's mould on the cap rail stuff. Baking soda, apple cider vinegar and bleach .. I think.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 03:53 PM   #7
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
It makes me miss Ron to see his past posts brought up in this thread.

Eric, the guy in the slip next to me has OCD. He owns a 50' go fast boat that always looks like it was just dropped in from a showroom floor. His inflatable is the same. He and I had the exact same dink, same model, same age. Mine looked old, his looked brand new.

I watched him clean his dink one day. He first used boat soap and a brush, then he used bleach on any spots, then he washed again and then treated with some type of treatment like the 303 that Ron mentioned above.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 06:53 PM   #8
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Thanks Dave,
I don't know what OCD is so I must not have it .. good as it's probably bad.

I think I'll use 15 or 20% bleach w apple cider vineger and perhaps some baking soda. I guess silicone is or can be a problem as in Armor All so I'll pass on that. Good I can duck at least one pitfall.

Thanks again,
By the way I admire your boat in the avatar and glad you choose that one. Nice business-like wheelhouse.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 07:29 PM   #9

City: Gustavia
Vessel Name: Soler Fox
Vessel Model: Selene 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhays View Post
It makes me miss Ron to see his past posts brought up in this thread.

Eric, the guy in the slip next to me has OCD. He owns a 50' go fast boat that always looks like it was just dropped in from a showroom floor. His inflatable is the same. He and I had the exact same dink, same model, same age. Mine looked old, his looked brand new.

I watched him clean his dink one day. He first used boat soap and a brush, then he used bleach on any spots, then he washed again and then treated with some type of treatment like the 303 that Ron mentioned above.
Hello,

what is bleach, this is like Clorox ?

Hugues
101TUG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 07:37 PM   #10
TF Site Team

City: Seneca Lake NY
Vessel Name: Bacchus
Vessel Model: MS 34 HT Trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by drmnj View Post
What products do you recommend for cleaning and protecting an Apex inflatable. Also what psi should it be inflated to, if living in hot climate?
Thanks for all your suggestions. Capt Mike
During a white water raft trip I observed the guides pay careful attention to inflation pressures - they deflated after removing from cool / cold water when storing ashore at the end of the days travel and reinflated next AM to avoid heating & over inflating in afternoon sun... made me think about inflating mine hard when in cool water and then tipping up on Weaver davits (or hoisting onto a deck) for storage.
Bacchus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 07:59 PM   #11
Guru

City: New England and Canada to Florida
Vessel Name: Tadhana
Vessel Model: Helmsman 38 Pilothouse
What every you use to treat the fabric, be sure that it is intended for inflatable boats. Do not ever use armour all. It has silicons in it. If it is applied to an inflatable, then the tubes cannot be patched. Glue won't stick. The tubes are supposed to be inflated to about 3.5 PSI. at that pressure you can push your thumb in about 1/4" if you can push in more than 1/2" you need to add air. Yes it is a good idea to let off the pressure when it is hot, particularly if the dinghy is just in storage. PVC dinghies with welded seams are much more tolerant of over pressure in hot weather than a glued seam hypalon fabric boat.
tadhana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 08:52 PM   #12

City: Washington
I just did this a few weekends ago. My inflatable is hypalon. I used the two part inflatable boat cleaner from West Marine. One bottle of cleaner and one of protectant. My kind of work. Wipe the cleaner on, wipe it off, wipe the protectant on, wipe it off. I put a followup coat of 303 Protectant on as well for no other reason than I had it handy.
Old 06-20-2016, 10:35 PM   #13
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad Willy View Post
Thanks Dave,
I don't know what OCD is so I must not have it .. good as it's probably bad.

I think I'll use 15 or 20% bleach w apple cider vineger and perhaps some baking soda. I guess silicone is or can be a problem as in Armor All so I'll pass on that. Good I can duck at least one pitfall.

Thanks again,
By the way I admire your boat in the avatar and glad you choose that one. Nice business-like wheelhouse.
When I should that dinghy (to a guy my OCD neighbor knew), I cleaned it up really well. I took a page from my neighbor and washed with boat soap, scrubbed using a spray bottle with a 10% bleach solution, but did follow up with the 303. My neighbor sit he was impressed, but when he and his biddy took the dink to my neighbors house where he installed Weaver pads on it for hi buddy, he cleaned the whole boat again as well as buff and wax the hull.

OCD is Obsessive, Compulsive Disorder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101TUG View Post
Hello,

what is bleach, this is like Clorox ?

Hugues
Clorox is a brand name for a household bleach.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 10:40 PM   #14

City: Gustavia
Vessel Name: Soler Fox
Vessel Model: Selene 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhays View Post
When I should that dinghy (to a guy my OCD neighbor knew), I cleaned it up really well. I took a page from my neighbor and washed with boat soap, scrubbed using a spray bottle with a 10% bleach solution, but did follow up with the 303. My neighbor sit he was impressed, but when he and his biddy took the dink to my neighbors house where he installed Weaver pads on it for hi buddy, he cleaned the whole boat again as well as buff and wax the hull.

OCD is Obsessive, Compulsive Disorder.

Clorox is a brand name for a household bleach.
ok thanks not all time easy for a Froggy
101TUG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 05:07 PM   #15
Guru

City: Punta Gorda, fl
Vessel Name: Escapade
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by windmist View Post

Ron

303 Protectant that has the BLUE label. There is a Green label 303 that is made for Sunbrella and should not be used on inflatables. But the 303 Blue is great stuff for inflatables.
Pgitug is offline   Reply With Quote