Cleaning Non-skid

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MikeM

Vessel Name
Tuscan Sun
Vessel Make
Krogen 42
We have what look like greasy footprints in the non-skid on out boat deck. Tried a non-skid cleaner and soft scrub today with no luck. Anyone have any ideas for cleaning them off?

Mike Metts
KK 42-165
Virginia Beach, VA

Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum

I have a fairly aggressive diamond anti skid. I don't use abrasives at least not initially. I always try other methods first before getting out scouring pads or abrasive media.

Try a solvent like paint thinner first to remove whatever can be removed. There are other stronger solvents but they may damage the gelcoat so first the paint thinner.

I might even try spray brake cleaner HOWEVER, although I have used it around the boat I have NOT used it for this. Try it first in some area that won't be seen. I also spray it on a rag rather than directly and wipe at it. The wash it thoroughly with dish detergent

I have also found that a CLEANER wax such as Seapower liquid wax does a good job of removing marks, stains, without abrasives. It seems to have more solvent in it than many other good cleaner waxes so does a better job of removal. Of course that's at the expense of less wax in it but you want the removal ability.

Then use something like dishwashing detergent and a stiff bristle brush. Dishwashing detergent is designed to cut grease and should get any remainder taaking off the cleaners also.

Keep in mind that the sun will also take care of any faint mark left by the above but it will take a bit of time.

If you go with another cleaner such as household cleaner sprays , may I strongly suggest, having a ready at hand hose for immediate wash off. Some household spray cleaners will damage and cause stains to gelcoat worse than what you have now so be carefull if you go that route.

I have very good luck with Collinite products.
I have used Collinite Fiberglass Boat Cleaner #920 on non-skid with good results... (as long as the pattern is somewhat "smooth" vs the very aggressive / rough patterns).
You can use a white (non-scrathing) "Scotchbrite" pad on areas such as non-skid which helps with the tough stains down in the texture.
I prefer this to the cleaner wax approach as it doesn't leave a slippery finish the way a wax does.

+1 on the Collinite cleaner. Just don't let it dry on the non skid like you would on a smooth surface, rinse with water before it dries. It is amazing what stains it take out of the gel coat.

I had some persistent salmon roe stains from a sloppy angler on a night fishing trip. I tried everything to get it out of my white gelcoat with no luck. Finally a friend recommended Clorox Cleanup Cleaner + Bleach. It worked like a charm! I just sprayed it on, let it stand for 30 seconds and rinsed it off.

Not sure the color of your non-skid, but if it's white, this might work. Of course, I'd test it in a small area first to test the colorfastness.

product-CCU-CB-new.png

Thanks for all the ideas. I'll keep working on it.

Mike Metts
KK 42-165
Virginia Beach, VA

Mike: Are these new stains or were they there when you bought the boat?

Larry, I thought I did it, but after working on the stains for over an hour, I'm not so sure. I noticed them In a couple of areas while working on the dinghy. One of the spots looked like it matched the tread on my shoes. But we were scrubbing with an assortment of brushes and soft scrub with bleach and didn't make a dent.

Mike Metts
KK 42-165
Virginia Beach, VA

The decks of our boat are (arghh) 70's era harvest gold. There is a fairly deep crosshatch non-skid pattern that could really use a good cleaning. I'm going to try a spray on, hose off cleaner of some type, but if that fails, I'll get my automotive polisher and some liquid polish with a sheepskin pad and that should get it clean. I need to wait until they turn the water back on at the boat shed. It freezes here during the winter.

...Are these new stains or were they there when you bought the boat?

I know of other boats that during the layup of the flat surfaces (decks), the mold wasn't perfectly clean (foot prints) or the fabricator rushed things. It may be something you have to live with. :)

Last edited:
I know of other boats that during the layup of the flat surfaces (decks), the mold wasn't perfectly clean (foot prints) or the fabricator rushed things. It may be something you have to live with. :)

After our inability to clean it off, I began to wonder if it had been there from the start. I still plan to try some of the techniques above and see if they work.

Mike Metts
KK 42-165
Virginia Beach, VA

Bar Keepers Friend, it's a powder similar to comet worked very well for me taking out stains that other cleaners didn't touch even a rust stain. Good luck

I've had success with Easy OFF fume free oven cleaner. I've used it on the floor of my fiberglass shower stall.

Analyze the stain.

Usually really hot water and dish soap will beat any petroleum product as far as bulk.

If a stain is left behind...usually either it needs to be bleached out, acid removed or mechanically removed.

Oxalic Acid

Mike,
Oxalic acid is a good all around cleaner. It is a VERY mild acid. You can get it at hardware stores anywhere just look for "Wood Bleach" It comes in small plastic cup sized containers. It is a dry chemical that you mix with water. I have used it for years to remove the stains in hull gel coat from the water of the ICW. One container has lasted me several years.
Not knowing the source of your stains, there is no telling whether it will do any good, but it will come in handy in the future for cleaning the ICW mustache. I don't believe it can hurt anything. Try it on a small area and let me know.

Generally, no scrubbing is required. Just wipe it on and give it a few minutes to react with the stain. I then rinse with fresh water to neutralize.

Good Luck,
Tom

At some point in our boat's 20 year life under prior management, it got showered with fine steel particles which rusted. It was in a galvanized steel boatshed and my suspicion is that the particles drifted down from the roof. It's in the non-skid grid as well on on the finished fiberglass. Scrubbing with CLR and FSR do not touch it. I don't want to use an abrasive on the fiberglass whether non-skid or skid if I can avoid it. Any thoughts?

One of the ingredients in Bar Keepers Friend is Oxalic Acid and will do exactly what Tom mentions re: removal of stains from ICW, canals, etc

At some point in our boat's 20 year life under prior management, it got showered with fine steel particles which rusted. It was in a galvanized steel boatshed and my suspicion is that the particles drifted down from the roof. It's in the non-skid grid as well on on the finished fiberglass. Scrubbing with CLR and FSR do not touch it. I don't want to use an abrasive on the fiberglass whether non-skid or skid if I can avoid it. Any thoughts?

Iron Out is a product like CLR but a bit better for rust. It is an acid....but about all that will get rid of rust stains without mechanical destruction.

Mike,

Oxalic acid is a good all around cleaner. It is a VERY mild acid. You can get it at hardware stores anywhere just look for "Wood Bleach" It comes in small plastic cup sized containers. It is a dry chemical that you mix with water. I have used it for years to remove the stains in hull gel coat from the water of the ICW. One container has lasted me several years.

Not knowing the source of your stains, there is no telling whether it will do any good, but it will come in handy in the future for cleaning the ICW mustache. I don't believe it can hurt anything. Try it on a small area and let me know.

Generally, no scrubbing is required. Just wipe it on and give it a few minutes to react with the stain. I then rinse with fresh water to neutralize.

Good Luck,

Tom

Thanks Tom. I have tried Bar Keepers Friend. It didn't remove the stains, but perhaps your method would result in a higher concentration. What puzzles me is that nothing I've tried has made a dent in the stain. It may be something I have to live with...although I am going to try some of the other remedies mentioned above.

Mike Metts
KK 42-165
Virginia Beach, VA

Oxalic acid is also an ingredient of many rust stain removers you can buy at the marine stores.

I have not tied this method but it's on my list of to do's:

This guy does a lot of interesting videos, mostly on gel coat painting.

I have not tied this method but it's on my list of to do's:

This guy does a lot of interesting videos, mostly on gel coat painting.

Second this recomendation (both as to the method and his videos). I've got a brush for my Makita waiting for spring to try this on our cockpit and swim platform.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom