Cleaning a Hydralic Oil Filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
Old School
Vessel Make
38' Trawler custom built by Hike Metal Products
I have a cartridge type filter in the marine gear; it can be cleaned and put back into service. What type of cleaning agent would be recommended? Gasoline comes to mind, but I wanted some opinions first. Thanks.

Mike

Baton Rouge

I wouldn't use gasoline due to the reaction it may have on the rubber seal of the filter.

I'm assuming the filter is a wire mesh screen type. Paint thinner, diesel fuel, as long as they are clean and then use a blast of air to clean the solvent away. Just be carefull to not get back blow into your face/eyes.

I have a cartridge type filter in the marine gear; it can be cleaned and put back into service.

?????

Most simply use a throw away element , is yours just a screen, not a real filter?

FF: Its a screen on inside and out with pleated paper in the middle. I ended up using carb cleaner in an aerosol can, then soaked it in automatic transmission fluid before putting it back in the gear. ATF is used in the gear.
Thanks to all for the suggestions.
Mike

Since they are not "marine" a hyd spin on filter and its mount are $15 or $20 . 1 inch in and out.

Perhaps an up grade?

Back
Top Bottom