Old 04-29-2014, 12:58 PM   #21
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Thanks for all the input. I'm 97.612% convinced it'll be gloss. Of course I'm totally wrong if anyone (?-guess who) else gets to vote. Thanks again.
Old 04-29-2014, 05:41 PM   #22
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
I was told the gloss high buck varnish has Tung oil and the satin has Linseed oil. I always use the gloss when I apply McCloskie's varnish. Still not very hard though.

I used System Three and got more hardness but now I'll go back to McCloskie's gloss. The System Three didn't hold up in Alaska.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 08:11 PM   #23
Guru

City: North Vancouver
Vessel Name: Phoenix Hunter
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 42 (1985)
That guy I mentioned in my previous post on this thread says to follow up with 2 coats of Cetol high gloss on top or your regular varnish products. He also says 12 coats...10 of varnish and 2 of Cetol.
JDCAVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 09:59 PM   #24
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDCAVE View Post
That guy I mentioned in my previous post on this thread says to follow up with 2 coats of Cetol high gloss on top or your regular varnish products. He also says 12 coats...10 of varnish and 2 of Cetol.
Cetol on top of varnish!? Now there's a new one. Anybody else ever tried this?
Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 09:37 AM   #25
TF Site Team

City: Paris,TN
Vessel Name: Slo-Poke
Vessel Model: Jorgensen custom 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.Bill11 View Post
Cetol on top of varnish!? Now there's a new one. Anybody else ever tried this?
Never heard of that one . We are doing the Epifanes high gloss thang now. My wife is doing most of it and she likes how it goes on and that's music to my ears . We thinned first coat 50% and then 25% after that . This is all new teak . we have 4 or 5 coats ( I forget) on the doors right now . We are waiting on pollen to quit falling before varnishing the cap rails . They say the magic is in the 13th coat .I don't think we will see the magic. I just ordered some of the Epifanes brushes. I have been using some of my Dad's old brushes that he had for years. He keep them in a wooden box and they were his pride and joy.
I've used Cetol before on a sailboat and it looked pretty good but didn't last. I think I only did three coats and I'm sure I needed 3 times that much .
Pack Mule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 10:14 AM   #26
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
Yeah, I really like Epifanes. That was about all I ever used. I would go for as many coats as you can. Even if you just start putting one on every week or so. To get real longevity out of varnish you have to build up coats. That and get the grain filled and the finish as smooth as you can.

The best luck I had with Cetol jobs was by getting the wood very smooth and putting on at least 6 coats. I'd put on 3 a day, one on top of the other when I could. And then wet scuff those down with a green scuffy pad and running water the next day and add 3 more. Really held up well that way even on swim platforms. Cetol gloss came out about the time I started getting out of doing varnish jobs and running bigger boats with little or no brightwork. So I can't speak to it's longevity. Other than the best jobs I've seen with it have had 4 or more base coats and 3-4 gloss coats on top of those.
Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 11:52 AM   #27
Guru

City: North Vancouver
Vessel Name: Phoenix Hunter
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 42 (1985)
Cleaning black off teak caprail.

Yes, everything I've heard is 10 coats at least. Tough to do in one go in the PNW with Cetol with the "requisit" 24 hour dry time between coats. I'll shoot for 10 over the next month. May require a light sand if it sits too long between coats. I might try and get two more on in Sept.
JDCAVE is offline   Reply With Quote