Cleaning bilge/sump pump

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My boat would be pretty dry if it wasnt for my constant use of our AC units in Florida which dump condensation down in the bilge....I was thinking of changing that to a sump but too damn hot right now...maybe in the Fall. Anyways...my bilge is in a location as to be very difficult to get to so maybe once every year if I can cantort that much.

There are siphon devices that you can install in the AC water discharge line that will suck out the condensate and discharge it overboard with the cooling water.
https://www.mmair.com/marine-division/accessories/mermaid-condensator/

The problem with the siphon devices is that they tend to clog up,with any little piece of crud that goes down the condensate tube. Had one and got rid of it because of clogging went back to sump pump.

Some water comes from the shaft seal, few drops when running or when splashing the time the packing return in place.

For the sump I was seeing something like you mention to collect the water and maybe a little diaphragm pump to pump the water overboard using the existing head sink throughull. Nothing precise yet but something like that. I do not have much space to fit something big but pretty sure I can make something better than what I have right now.

L

You might be interested in something like this: Dry Bilges are possible!

I just bought one, but I haven't installed it yet, but I tested it in my shop, and it works as advertised. Lou, it is a Canadian product.

You might be interested in something like this: Dry Bilges are possible!

I just bought one, but I haven't installed it yet, but I tested it in my shop, and it works as advertised. Lou, it is a Canadian product.
Yeah I saw this one and I will build one myself as in this kit, the pump is costing something like 40 bucks on amazon and the remaining components (electronic, switch and hose etc) are costing less than 30$. Not my intend to ruin business from anybody but 395$ for this is just robbery. The strainer they sell for 40USD, I got one for 12$ CAD (around 9USD) to put on my head water inline.

L

Yeah I saw this one and I will build one myself as in this kit, the pump is costing something like 40 bucks on amazon and the remaining components (electronic, switch and hose etc) are costing less than 30$. Not my intend to ruin business from anybody but 395$ for this is just robbery. The strainer they sell for 40USD, I got one for 12$ CAD (around 9USD) to put on my head water inline.

L

The pump and filter are available everywhere, but please let us know when you find a source for the electronic controls.

The pump and filter are available everywhere, but please let us know when you find a source for the electronic controls.
Well electronic controls are pretty simple. Different ways to achieve same goal. The switch is simply a two poles contact, it can be as simple as 2 stainless steel bolts, again lot of ways to achieve same goal. The pump controller is a very basic electronic circuit. Here again many ways of doing the same, a triggered timer, a latching circuit with low/high water level etc. Any electronic components used for that are costing peanuts (cents). Any integrated circuit nowadays is costing less than a dollar, add a relay to this to trigger the pump, a circuit board, some soldering and few pieces of wire and you can make a pump controller for 5 to 10 bucks. You can even buy this kind of controller direct from china for 2 to 5 $ each.

L

Back
Top Bottom