cleaner for a painted boat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Woodsong

Guru
Vessel Make
Bayliner 4550 Pilothouse
So I am curious, what cleaner are you all using if you have a painted hull?* As I understand it, a cleaner like Simply Green and the like is too aggressive for a painted surface and could harm the shine.* What are you other folks using on your painted boat?

The same sold in automobile supply stores and used on my Ford Explorer.

Woodsong wrote:What are you other folks using on your painted boat?
That very much depends on the paint system used on your boat. Contact your paint manufacturer and they will happily provide you with advice you can take to the bank.

Paint failure is a big issue with marine paint manufacturers and they all have invested heavily in determining how best to keep it looking the way they need it to in order to stay in the business.

Unless you had your boat painted at Maaco, stick to the manufacturer's approved cleaning agents.

Boat was painted with Pratt & Lambert Jet-glow 2-part aircraft paint about 20 years ago, and has held up well.

Paint is harder than gel coat, but is thinner.* No harsh cleaners, just a very little Down in the bucket about 3-4 times year.* Mostly, we just rinse with fresh water.

Once every 2-3 years, we wipe/buff the finish with 3M Mirror, then give it a good waxing.

My wife uses vinegar mixed in water....

RickB is quite right.* Each system has recommendations to make and they should be followed.* Awlgrip recommends a specific cleaner and a specific poly sealer.* They do not recommend wax.* I have followed their system and after 9 years in the sun, most people think Delfin has just been painted.

Back
Top Bottom