Old 10-20-2019, 08:26 PM   #1
Guru

City: Ashland, MA
Vessel Model: 1990 Silverton 40 aftcabin
Clean props & shafts

We were hauled Friday and when I climbed down from the boat, I was pleasantly surprised by the appearance of my boat’s twin props, rudders and shafts. THEY LOOKED AS IF THEY HAD JUST BEEN PAINTED!!!

Really folks! And what upset me more is that I left my Ipad in the car and was without means to take a picture of their condition. Even the bottom paint looked fresh.....IT DID NOT NEED TO BE POWER WASHED!!!

Bottom paint.....nothing special, ablative purchased at West Marine at about $150 or so a gallon. But the metal! I have never in my 40 years boating seen metal and bottom paint in the condition of mine as it rests out of the water. One side of the bottom paint though is pretty much gone...heck, the stuff is suppose to wear, it is ablative.

Back to my metals. This is my second year prepping them although this year is exceptional. Two seasons ago I shined the props and shafts.....didn’t bother with doing anything to the rudders other than basic stuff. Next I brush painted all the metal (make that most of the metal, did not bother with trim tabs and they look it) Rustolium metal primer out of a quart can. After the stuff dried, I painted over the Rustolium with a cheap hard bottom paint. Bought a quart of the stuff from Defender.

If I can find time to get down to my boat I intend to take some pictures and post them here. I am telling you this approach provided service far beyond my expectations and the total cost of the stuff was about 50 for the hard bottom paint and another 15 or so for the quart of Rustolium metal primer.
foggysail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 08:30 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
Maybe you should go into business doing underwater metal. People would pay good money for results like that.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 08:36 PM   #3
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comodave View Post
Maybe you should go into business doing underwater metal. People would pay good money for results like that.
You have my absolute permission to use the above described successful method COMMERCIALLY! Then I will feel successful just knowing I helped others.
Old 10-20-2019, 08:58 PM   #4
Guru

City: Full Time Cruising East Coast
Vessel Name: Meridian
Vessel Model: Krogen-42
Clean props & shafts

Where was the boat kept and how long since paint applied? Are they out of the water for the winter?
KK-42097
meridian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 09:03 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
Quote:
Originally Posted by foggysail View Post
You have my absolute permission to use the above described successful method COMMERCIALLY! Then I will feel successful just knowing I helped others.
Oh no, I don’t work on boats for money. I am constantly getting asked to work on someone’s boat for money. I always say no thanks because I am retired and I work on boats for enjoyment and if I took money I would feel pressure and besides now if I help someone they can’t get mad at me if they don’t like. What I do. I do help most everyone that asks for help but no money.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 04:33 PM   #6
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by meridian View Post
Where was the boat kept and how long since paint applied? Are they out of the water for the winter?
Bottom and metals painted last April with an early May launch. Boat in Massachusetts waters until hauled last week