Old 05-22-2018, 08:23 PM   #1
Guru

City: Port Ludlow
Vessel Name: Fiddler
Vessel Model: DeFever 46
Changing coolant

The coolant drain plug on my Westerbeke generator is accessible on the side of the engine. But how do you drain the coolant without getting coolant all over the nearby components, wiring, bilge, etc ? For my mains I attach a suitably sized hose to the drain cock and it drains into a bucket without a mess. The generator just has a plug screwed into the block and once it is removed I expect coolant will flow everywhere. What ideas do you have for changing the coolant without a big mess?
drb1025 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 09:05 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
Find out what thread size the plug is and buy a hose barb fitting that size. Put a hose on the barb fitting. Unscrew the plug and put your finger in the hole while you line up the barb fitting and then screw the barb fitting in. You will spill a bit but not too much. When you have it drained you can install a petcock for the next time, just secure the petcock so it won’t drain your coolant without your knowledge.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 09:12 PM   #3
Guru

City: Quebec
Vessel Name: Bleuvet
Vessel Model: Custom Built
On the same subject, any advice during the coolant refill? I read a post from Ski that it is possible to lock the pumpmbecause of the air trapped. Any procedure or good advice to ensure a smooth refill? In my case I will change all the coolant hoses so will loose a lot even if it is not a total change.
L
Lou_tribal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 09:36 PM   #4
Guru

City: Coupeville Wa.
Vessel Name: Pacific Myst
Vessel Model: West Bay 4500
I like these for controlling drainage messes.

Form a Funnel

It's a flexible formable plastic gizmo. With a little creativity you can direct the flow where you want it to go. That and don't release the coolant tank cap until you've got the plug out, form a funnel and catch basing in place.

They are available from good auto supply stores in different sizes, but sometimes have to be ordered in.
Portage_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 10:32 PM   #5
Guru

City: Queensland
Vessel Model: Milkraft 60 converted timber prawn trawler
Plastic soft drink, juice, milk bottle
Cut top off makes funnel
Free.
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 10:39 PM   #6
Guru

City: Pender Harbour, BC
Vessel Name: Gwaii Haanas
Vessel Model: Custom Aluminum 52
How do you know it needs changing? Check the additives with strips from CAT and you might dodge a bullet.
Old 05-22-2018, 10:44 PM   #7
Guru

City: Port Ludlow
Vessel Name: Fiddler
Vessel Model: DeFever 46
Changing coolant

There’s a few good ideas! Thanks
drb1025 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 05:07 AM   #8
FF
Guru

"How do you know it needs changing?"

Both coolant mfg and engine assemblers want the coolant changed on time in the engine.

Checking SCA required for modern engines does not cancel the requirement for fresh coolant.

Like fresh lube oil , I have never heard of a failure due to new coolant.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 07:31 AM   #9

City: Toronto
Quote:
Originally Posted by drb1025 View Post
The coolant drain plug on my Westerbeke generator is accessible on the side of the engine. But how do you drain the coolant without getting coolant all over the nearby components, wiring, bilge, etc ? For my mains I attach a suitably sized hose to the drain cock and it drains into a bucket without a mess. The generator just has a plug screwed into the block and once it is removed I expect coolant will flow everywhere. What ideas do you have for changing the coolant without a big mess?

I suspect that there is not much coolant in the system .... maybe a " wet " shop vac at the plug would do it .... fb
Ex Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 09:33 AM   #10
Guru

City: Boston Area
Can you fit a brownie pan under there ? Loosen the plug...fill the pan..tighten the plug...dump the pan. Repeat as necessary
Benthic2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 10:21 AM   #11

City: North NJ
Vessel Name: Bassey
Vessel Model: 17' Bass
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou_tribal View Post
On the same subject, any advice during the coolant refill? I read a post from Ski that it is possible to lock the pumpmbecause of the air trapped. Any procedure or good advice to ensure a smooth refill? In my case I will change all the coolant hoses so will loose a lot even if it is not a total change.
L
Use what's called a air lift to refill the coolant system if you have access to compressed air. By means of a venturi it will create a vaccume in your coolant system and you shut that valve off and then open the second valve that has a hose into your coolant bottle and it sucks coolant into your system. Use it all the time in automotive applications.
TowLou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 05:14 AM   #12
FF
Guru

"maybe a " wet " shop vac at the plug would do it ...."

Shop vacs blow as well as suck , and are low enough pressure to not harm a cooling system.

Perhaps a good push after most old coolant has drained would get it all.

At under a buck a gallon a flush with distilled water might be worth the effort .
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 06:36 AM   #13
Guru

City: Seaford Va on Poquoson River, VA
Vessel Name: Old Glory
Vessel Model: 1970 Egg Harbor 37 extended salon model
I use a wet vac to drain coolant. I do this at the small brass plugs, I also do it on the hoses. Simply just about all the coolant will then go into the vacuum.
Hold vac nozzole close, while removing plug with fingers.

Any water type liquid you can suck with a wet vac. I ought to do that when I drain my HE, right now I let it go into the bilge, but it does splash on the motor.
sdowney717 is offline   Reply With Quote