Old 01-19-2016, 08:26 AM   #21
FF
Guru

"I've found it necessary to change my 2-micron Racor filters about every 100 hours or so to assure sufficient flow to run at near-WOT."

Great for an old engine , but the new high pressure injectors suffer from rapid wear from UNDER 2 micron gunk..

Seems the tiny bits are on the injector seat as it rapidly cycles and a dent or groove is pounded into the seat.

FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 09:22 AM   #22
Guru

City: gulf coast
If you use 2 micron filters consider adding another filter at 20 microm ahead of it to do the heavy filtering.

bayview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 09:44 AM   #23
Guru

City: Satsuma FL
Vessel Name: No Mo Trawla
Vessel Model: Hurricane SS188
Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post
Great for an old engine , but the new high pressure injectors suffer from rapid wear from UNDER 2 micron gunk..
What is the solution for handling under 2 micron gunk?

Methinks grin and bear it.
Donsan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 12:46 PM   #24
Guru

City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
I've found it necessary to change my 2-micron Racor filters about every 100 hours or so to assure sufficient flow to run at near-WOT.
And hence the reason for the gages......
Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/
Alaskan Sea-Duction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 01:38 PM   #25

City: hawaii
Vessel Name: #31
Vessel Model: ex-Navy MUB 50 fish/cruise
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donsan View Post
What is the solution for handling under 2 micron gunk?

Methinks grin and bear it.

From what I read, filter mfg's are having trouble with this question too!
The only solution available at this time is multi-stage filtration, or stacking filters inline from coarse to fine.
I am currently using Seaboard Marine's dual stage system behind a Racor 1000 30 mic, and although I don't have a laboratory onboard to analyze the product, my final filter (on the engine) shows no visible contaminants when cut open for inspection.
I don't know if 2 microns is even visible to the eye, but I do know that I am doing all that I can to keep my fuel clean.

Feeding your system clean fuel is paramount, so if you have issues with gunk, you need to address the problem at the source. Determine where the water is coming from, correct that problem, and then clean the fuel tanks.
Your filters will thank you!

Leaking deck fillers and faulty venting are probably bigger culprits than fuel vendors, as EPA requirements have significantly cleaned up fuel supplies, at least in the USA.
kapnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 07:14 AM   #26
FF
Guru

"Leaking deck fillers and faulty venting are probably bigger culprits than fuel vendors, as EPA requirements have significantly cleaned up fuel supplies, at least in the USA."

Perhaps for selling water in the fuel, but the filtration standards are not near what is required for the new high pressure injection.

A 2 micron filter will pass a few chunks as large as 20 microns , so the Practical Boat Builder article suggested in depth 2 micron filtering,, 3 or more filters in series.
Old 02-13-2016, 09:35 PM   #27
Guru

City: Cape Cod
Vessel Name: Slip Aweigh
Vessel Model: Prairie 29
Quote:

A 2 micron filter will pass a few chunks as large as 20 microns , so the Practical Boat Builder article suggested in depth 2 micron filtering,, 3 or more filters in series.
Not sure where you heard that, but coincidentally while discussing this topic with a knowledgable mechanic, he has the same opinion about filters.
The micron rating is NOT the smallest scale of filtration. The filter micron rating is not absolute. A X micron filter will stop about 90%of the particles flowing. But 5% or so larger will fit through the pores. And another 5% of X micron will flow through. Filters are not completely perfect. The inline theory is the way to go to make sure you have 2 micron achieved. Strangely enough the more a filter gets clogged up )pores filled) the better it gets at filtering. But initially undersized crap gets through. And you don't change both at once. You stagger them so there is a partially used one in the line that has already been pre plugged up. The PO on my boat had installed10 micron primaries, with a 2 micron secondary (before the electric lift pump) and the other on block secondary with another 2 micron filter. So my fuel is filtered 3 times from tank to fuel pump.
cappy208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 07:35 AM   #28
FF
Guru

What I like about these old 3208T/As, so long as you fill the Racors and the secondary filters with fuel, I don't have to do any pumping as very little if any air is introduced. Another task done on ASD for the trip north this summer.

This only works if you fill the filters with fuel that has been filtered.

Filling with dock fuel defeats the filtration.

Lazy folks use ATF., its clean.
Old 02-14-2016, 08:30 AM   #29
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Lots of misinformation and "light on facts" posts abound on this subject. Most older engines are just fine with the OEM on engine's 5 or so micron filters. Only the newer diesels require an on engine 2 micron filter.

Cappy, did your knowledgeable mechanic mention beta ratio numbers? if yes, good. If no, like most of us he needs a bit more education on the subject. Read Tony Athen's filter articles for the real scoop.

BTW, tank cleaning on an older boat can work wonders for fixing clogged filters.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 08:46 AM   #30
Guru

City: Cape Cod
Vessel Name: Slip Aweigh
Vessel Model: Prairie 29
Looking at tony athens article merely confirmed what my mechanic said, Thanks for the confirmation! Fuel Filtration - Seaboard Marine

It's not what the filtration is 'called', it's the knowledge that a filter of any specification allows a certain percentage of larger than the micron rating by. The only way to stop this is multiple filters. One would think that a filter of 10 microns would not allow ANY particles larger than 10 micron through. But that is not the case. This seems to be where the argument over filter size, brand, and medium comes out.
cappy208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 01:37 PM   #31
Guru

City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
Quote:
What I like about these old 3208T/As, so long as you fill the Racors and the secondary filters with fuel, I don't have to do any pumping as very little if any air is introduced. Another task done on ASD for the trip north this summer.

This only works if you fill the filters with fuel that has been filtered.

Filling with dock fuel defeats the filtration.

Lazy folks use ATF., its clean.
Oh how right you are! The first time I changed the secondary filters I used the hand pump and not understanding where the drain was, I pumped about a gallon or so into the main bilge. That was a mess to clean up.

I do exactly as FF states. Once I have cleaned the Racor housing, I insert a new filter, fill it with fresh fuel, lock it down. The secondary filter, fill the new filter with fresh fuel, open the valve to the tanks, hit the starter and they run like a top! Same with the generator. 12 weeks to go!!!

Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/
Alaskan Sea-Duction is offline   Reply With Quote