Old 02-23-2016, 06:17 PM   #41
Guru

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Insequent
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 50 Mk I
The PO had covered my teak decks with Cetol. After slipping on it a couple of times I realized that when wet it was downright dangerous. It had to go.

I used Starbright tropical Teak Oil, which lasts at least a year. But I plan to switch over to Deks Olje #1 only, which I am also going to put on the swim step once the last of the finish on it has flaked off.

Old 02-23-2016, 06:18 PM   #42
TF Site Team

City: Paris,TN
Vessel Name: William
Vessel Model: Outer reef 32
I've used Cetol before and it was also on new teak. It turned out good but I didn't keep up with it and I didn't do enough prep work first and probably didn't read directions . I don't feel I gave it a fair shot . When we rebuilt cap rails on William I wanted to try something different . If was out in the open and in a harsh environment I would give Cetol another try . I think the first few coats done right is the most important on any finish .

Old 02-23-2016, 06:26 PM   #43
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
for any of these products...you have to use them in your area of boating, see how they last for your use and your tolerance for maintaining it.

It is so classic when someone's opinion is disagreed with that the whole forum, it's experienced members and their opinions are a joke....

but the joke is on who?
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 07:20 PM   #44
Guru

City: Vero Beach, FL.
Vessel Name: FIREFLY
Vessel Model: Pilgrim 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
for any of these products...you have to use them in your area of boating, see how they last for your use and your tolerance for maintaining it.

It is so classic when someone's opinion is disagreed with that the whole forum, it's experienced members and their opinions are a joke....

but the joke is on who?
So true and I also agree with your on post #31. If you mention Cetol the negative comments are fast and furious.

Cetol as stated is not a "Bristol" "Yacht Club" finish, however it is a good enough long lasting and easy to use finish in my opinion, and my opinion is so worthless that it's free on the internet.

Saying you don't like Cetol because you don't like the orange is like saying I don't like Fords because I don't like green cars, ummm the orange is a color of several in the Cetol line and it has been softened quite a bit from years ago.

I don't like varnishing, some do and good on them. They would love the tropical sun as they can start at one end of the boat and given the humidity and rain days when they get to the end of the boat they can go right back to the other and and start again. Not kidding a bit.

OP as PS said you need to try what you think best for your location and tolerance for work and given your location if you don't start with Cetol at least keep it in mind for the near future.

UV is one of the bad things about the south, it is an animal that eats stuff outside.
SCOTTEDAVIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 07:29 PM   #45
Guru

City: Vero Beach, FL.
Vessel Name: FIREFLY
Vessel Model: Pilgrim 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Insequent View Post
The PO had covered my teak decks with Cetol. After slipping on it a couple of times I realized that when wet it was downright dangerous. It had to go.

I used Starbright tropical Teak Oil, which lasts at least a year. But I plan to switch over to Deks Olje #1 only, which I am also going to put on the swim step once the last of the finish on it has flaked off.

PO should never have used Cetol on decks IMO it is the wrong product, decks should be clean bare teak, in all it's gray non-skid glory as God intended.

SCOTTEDAVIS is offline   Reply With Quote