Old 02-22-2016, 10:55 PM   #21

City: West Vancouver
Vessel Name: Redoubt
Vessel Model: 50' Gulf Commander
Another user of Deks Olje - both #1 and #2 (you can stop at #1 for a flat finish if required).

Removed Cetol which as many others have noted is a bit orange for my liking. It also was laid on pretty thick on my boat.

It is 2.5 years with Deks Olje. By the end of the first 12 months left exposed summer and winter the winter rain had really taken a toll and needed lots of work in the spring. I had shorted the recommended top coats and only did 2 - so perhaps little surprise it wore off in places. After doing a better job (!) and having a rain cover the next 12 months still look great with minimal touchup required - and those from chips and bangs.

The #2 finish is not as good as varnish but better IMHO than Cetol.

nmuir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 05:49 AM   #22
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Vessel Name: Small Incentive
Vessel Model: Boston Whaler 130 Sport
Quote:
If you're in a freshwater, covered slip, you'll get many years of service from the Epifanes. I'm in a covered slip and have seen great longevity in the varnish and finish coats.
Again, I'm going to have to disagree with a lot of what is said in this and other posts, based on years of actual experience of continual year around heavy use exclusively in a sunny saltwater environment. And by heavy use, I mean people and heavily used furniture tromping on it every day. Somewhat shaded on the aft deck, to be sure, but far from entirely. I really felt like we gave these products the acid test, and in all cases initial application was done by skilled professionals.

Just to be clear, I am a staunch advocate of untreated teak exterior decks for a variety of reasons. Mainly because mine came that way and I had zero desire to spend money on them for purely for the sake of cosmetics.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 09:28 AM   #23
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
Epifanes is not a urethane. At least their clear varnish is not.

"Epifanes Clear Varnish, known around the world, is considered the ultimate in high gloss finish. This traditional marine varnish is based on tung oil, phenolic-modified alkyd resins and maximum U.V. absorbers. It has outstanding protection for all marine and household woods and can be applied to Interior and exterior woods above the waterline. It offers superior flow and durability. In addition, it has excellent flexibility and water resistance in all climate conditions."
Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 09:33 AM   #24
Guru

You really have to take in account where you boat, how you boat, how you store your boat and how much time and money you want to spend maintaining a finish before you pick your poison.

There is no one size fits all finish.
Old 02-23-2016, 09:33 AM   #25

City: Memphis
Vessel Name: Ivory Lady
Vessel Model: 46 Jefferson
Thanks for the great input so far. I took some pics on the boat to show what I'll be working on.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1456237901.946233.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	22.2 KB
ID:	49211Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1456237919.502840.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	21.3 KB
ID:	49212Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1456237931.948287.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	11.3 KB
ID:	49213

Not sure how I'm going to do the wood on the railing under the hard top cover (pic 3). On the stairs, notice how there was something in it before that is coming up.
clynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 09:56 AM   #26
Guru

I just love it when builders put night work where there is no way to refinish it with out remove everything around it.
Old 02-23-2016, 10:09 AM   #27
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Clynn,
I know what I'd put on the rest but I'm think'in the Cetol may be good for the steps. Anybody used it on a foot traffic area? On my can of McClosky's varnish it says "do not use on wooden decks or steps". So it seems oil based varinsh is not suitable for steps. For the steps I really don't know what to use. If you could find an oil that's not sticky ..... but that's a bit of a contradiction. I'd be thinking about deck and porch paint .. colors not clear. Keep in mind it must be easily cleanable.

Bill,
The sales people at Fisheries Supply told me Epifanes is a urathane. Got a can right here and It says "tung oil based". On my McClosky's can it says .......
Ingredients:
alkyd Resin, Mineral Sprits, Tung Oil Phenolic Resin, Exempt Mineral Sprits and Regular Mineral Sprits. Phenolic resin is known to be about the most durable resin used in paints. I heard it was hard too but I know fron lots of experience the finish (McKlosky's) os soft compared to others.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 10:30 AM   #28

City: Portland, OR
Vessel Name: Cool Water
Vessel Model: C&L Puget Trawler
I have Cetol on a vertical ladder to the upper deck & also lower deck area - with the right shoes on, it's not to slick when wet. As soon as I'm done with the electrical, I'm removing the Cetol from anything I walk on. For hand rails, windows etc. I going with Cetol.

We're in a covered slip right now, however, we are taking this girl to Mexico, no covered slips there.
TONTOROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 12:07 PM   #29
Guru

City: Walnut Grove Ca
Vessel Name: Cary'D Away
Vessel Model: Hatteras 48 LRC
I've applied a lot of Epifanes but Cetol is on my boat

Hands down Cetol will out performs Epifanes or any other oil based vanish when it comes to durability and ease of repair. In the California delta with high dry heat Epifanes or for that matter any conventional varnish is good for maybe 6 months in direct sunlight. In my opinion it's better to deal with the color of Cetol than the look of failing varnish. Cetol can be touched up with a light sanding and blending in of Cetol. Two part epoxies to my knowledge have no UV protection so they need to be coated with varnish containing uv protection. I thought this was the hot set up, two part epoxy coated with 8 coats of Epifanes until it to failed on a sail boat I had varnished a couple of years ago. In this case the epoxy did not fail and we were able to sand and recoat the teak. At this point I'n not sure if the epoxy really helped at all. Cetol is is easy to use and reliable, may not have the beauty of varnish, but it's close enough, especially if your working on other peoples boats all the time and really want to just enjoy your own.
Scary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 02:37 PM   #30
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Scary,
What's unconventional about Epifanes?

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 02:53 PM   #31
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scary View Post
Hands down Cetol will out performs Epifanes or any other oil based vanish when it comes to durability and ease of repair. In the California delta with high dry heat Epifanes or for that matter any conventional varnish is good for maybe 6 months in direct sunlight. In my opinion it's better to deal with the color of Cetol than the look of failing varnish. Cetol can be touched up with a light sanding and blending in of Cetol. Two part epoxies to my knowledge have no UV protection so they need to be coated with varnish containing uv protection. I thought this was the hot set up, two part epoxy coated with 8 coats of Epifanes until it to failed on a sail boat I had varnished a couple of years ago. In this case the epoxy did not fail and we were able to sand and recoat the teak. At this point I'n not sure if the epoxy really helped at all. Cetol is is easy to use and reliable, may not have the beauty of varnish, but it's close enough, especially if your working on other peoples boats all the time and really want to just enjoy your own.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 03:26 PM   #32
TF Site Team

City: Paris,TN
Vessel Name: William
Vessel Model: Outer reef 32
We used Epifanes on William . Six coats . The first couple coats thinned 50% then 25% for a couple coats and then 15 % on the last few .We also wiped down the raw teak with acetone at first.
My Dad always said treat varnish like a first date with a good looking woman . Don't lay it on too heavy at first, let each coat get to know each other by thinning . This is new teak and under cover . Not the same as refurbishing some weathered teak .
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	109.8 KB
ID:	49218  
Old 02-23-2016, 03:34 PM   #33

Marty,

Did you remove the door or work on it in place? That is beautiful! Thanks for the picture.

Also, which Epifanes did you use? Wood Finish Gloss?
Old 02-23-2016, 04:02 PM   #34
TF Site Team

City: Paris,TN
Vessel Name: William
Vessel Model: Outer reef 32
I built the doors first and then we varnished the sections . We used gloss and sanded between coats .All of this is new Bermease teak . Much easier to finish than weathered teak that has been oiled or varnished before . Plus no hardware to work around . Long uninterrupted stretches allows you to flow and pull out the varnish .
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	127.2 KB
ID:	49219  
Old 02-23-2016, 05:20 PM   #35
Guru

About the only place I would leave teak without any finish is the swimstep. I have had 2 boats where the cappings were left without any finish, in both cases the teak became grooved, due I think, to softer wood degrading away. (I`m told this relates to winter and summer growth producing harder/softer rings of wood). You can sand heavily to get the surface flat, or sand lightly, put up with it, refinish, hoping time will see it smoother year by year, with sanding and wear.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 05:49 PM   #36
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Vessel Name: Small Incentive
Vessel Model: Boston Whaler 130 Sport
There's obviously a lack of understanding (or basic research into) as to the difference between Epifane's classic varnishes and the Wood Finish product. That's always a big issue I have with these social media forums and other "crowd sourced" venues... making them an almost useless resource for the naive.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 05:51 PM   #37
Guru

City: Vero Beach, FL.
Vessel Name: FIREFLY
Vessel Model: Pilgrim 40
I love folks that think Cetol only comes in one color, it comes in several and also clear so the orange look is off the table.

I also love how people who live where the sun shines perhaps 15 days a year swear by varnish and how they get several years of service out of it in their covered slips and 3 month boating season.

Bring it to the south and park in in an uncovered slip and use it 12 months out of the year and tell me how much you love any varnish,

Why not ask the question on the dock where you will be using the actual boat and not take advice from people 2000 miles away in conditions completely different then you are in?
SCOTTEDAVIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 06:01 PM   #38
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. S. C'mon, don't hold back. Tell us how you really feel...As I mentioned in post #4. Cetol gloss works for us. The Admiral is the "varnish" person and having used both, she much prefers the ease and simplicity of application/re-coatability of Cetol in lieu of varnish.

Currently baking in the FL sun.
Old 02-23-2016, 06:01 PM   #39
Guru

City: Seaford Va on Poquoson River, VA
Vessel Name: Old Glory
Vessel Model: 1970 Egg Harbor 37 extended salon model
I get 6 months from a marine varnish in southeast VA,
Frankly varnish is even hard to keep on the interior woodwork if the sun shine on it.

I bought a can of car clear coat meant to go on top of car paint, and even that eventually fails, after about 3 years on the inside if the sun hits horizontal wood if it is close to the windows.

I think the coelan is worth my looking into, what I read is it lasts at least 10 years in tropic sun.

I actually used brown paint on the toe rail, and it still looks good after 5 years.
sdowney717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 06:14 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTTEDAVIS View Post
Why not ask the question on the dock where you will be using the actual boat and not take advice from people 2000 miles away in conditions completely different then you are in?
I would ask others on my dock, but my boat is on the Mississippi River in Memphis which is not exactly a boating Mecca. There may be two other boats with teak at my marina and they make my bright work look good...you saw my pictures, right? That is why I asked this forum, which has been a wealth of knowledge on other issues.

I keep my boat is a covered slip, not unlike Al, so his experience would likely be similar to my own. Marty also gave his feedback (including inspiring pictures) which matched Al's. His marina, which is where my boat lived for years, is only a 100 miles or so away. If I was in Florida with you, your experience would be more meaningful to me, but I'm not going to experience your conditions, therefore my results would vary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by caltexflanc View Post
There's obviously a lack of understanding (or basic research into) as to the difference between Epifane's classic varnishes and the Wood Finish product. That's always a big issue I have with these social media forums and other "crowd sourced" venues... making them an almost useless resource for the naive.
True, but only if you blindly follow what others post. Coupled with your own research and discernment, the experiences of others can be a valuable resource.