Caulking/Sealing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tony B

Guru
Vessel Name
Serenity
Vessel Make
Mainship 36 Dual Cabin -1986
I will finally be addressing my leaks.

What product do you guys use for sealing/caulking overhead hatches and port lights?

Hi Tony, my fwd cabin overhead hatch was leaking where it sealed to the deck . I pulled the whole thing off cleaned it and bedded with Butyl Rubber tape. About 2 years ago no leaks yet. I have used that tape often with good results.

I use 5200, especially with metal parts.
That will get the argument started.:popcorn:

>That will get the argument started<

No more than should you nail or screw when fastening wood.

What about under the waterline, like in the instance of stainless steels thru hulls. Sealant or epoxy ???

Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum

>What about under the waterline, like in the instance of stainless steels thru hulls.<

Its not the sealant that is a question its SS UNDER the waterline !!!!.

IF you have a properly mounted sea cock, at least 3/8 bronze bolts , so the extraction of the thru hull wound not cause a leak , you might try SS .

But why? Good bronze lasts 5 or more decades , SS may or may not dissolve underwater.

The better goop you use sealing the SS , the less oxygen can get to it and the faster it will dissolve away.

Use SS where folks can oooh and aah over its fine polish ABOVE DECK , or at least above the waterline.

>What about under the waterline, like in the instance of stainless steels thru hulls.<

IF you have a properly mounted sea cock, at least 3/8 bronze bolts , so the extraction of the thru hull wound not cause a leak , you might try SS .

But why? Good bronze lasts 5 or more decades , SS may or may not dissolve underwater.

The better goop you use sealing the SS , the less oxygen can get to it and the faster it will dissolve away.

Use SS where folks can oooh and aah over its fine polish ABOVE DECK , or at least above the waterline.

What I have been led t believe...though I've there are success stories and applications for stainless in situations it's not known to be perfect.

Well .... I'll let you know how the stainless steel goes.

What about under the waterline, like in the instance of stainless steels thru hulls. Sealant or epoxy ???

Sealant. Our swim platform brackets, rudder and rudder shoe are SS. We removed the swim platform brackets last year after 26 years. I also pulled random bolts on the rudder shoe and inspected everything else. No problems. When we remounted, we used liberal amounts of sealant/caulk.

Last edited:
That's true but I have also seen stainless thru hulls, bolys, trim tabs, etc..etc all pretty badly eaten up to...yet my swim platform brackets are the same...in good shape...it's just not the "recommended" metal for underwater/anti-fouling covered.

Attachments

• Photo301.jpg
    Photo301.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 67
That's true but I have also seen stainless thru hulls, bolys, trim tabs, etc..etc all pretty badly eaten up to...yet my swim platform brackets are the same...in good shape...it's just not the "recommended" metal for underwater/anti-fouling covered.

Are those bolts resultant of crevice corrosion?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom