Old 02-08-2014, 11:10 AM   #1

City: Bellingham, WA
Vessel Name: Our Heaven
Vessel Model: Willard 30' Searcher
Carpet to Hardwood

Question, we are upgrading our salon flooring. Right now we have carpet and I was wondering if anyone has moved from carpet to hardwood having their engine(s) directly below the salon floor? How much did the noise in the cabin increase? Was it so noticeable that you had to change the way in which you cruise? (ie navigate slower, reducing RPMs?) I am concerned about the level of noise in the salon. I was considering bamboo strand woven for durability and look.

Old 02-08-2014, 11:39 AM   #2
Guru

City: Sidney BC
Vessel Name: Rochepoint
Vessel Model: 1985 Cheer Men PT38 Sedan
We have carpet over a 1/2" foam underlay and the boat is a lot noisier when the carpet is up with just the teak floor. Nice and soft on the feet also, dog hair is a pain on carpet but the handheld vacuum takes care of it.

Just lift up your carpet and take the boat for a ride, you will be able to decide.

"Yes, I have the right anchor"
rochepoint is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 12:07 PM   #3
Guru

City: Venice Louisiana
My wife is in the process of putting down teak flooring in our salon. The engines are underneath and inherently noisy being Detroit Diesels. The carpet was gone when we got the boat but we did put down big "rugs" cut to shape. I can tell you that when I open the small engine room entry hatch the noise seems to intensify tremendously. The boat has decent sound insulation in the engine room, but could use more.
kulas44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 02:08 PM   #4
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
I went from carpet to painted plywood about 5 years ago.

Am 100% happy w it but Willy is not as yachty as most here. Got rid of a lot of dampness too.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 02:25 PM   #5
Guru

City: PNW
Vessel Model: 1976 Californian Tricabin LRC
Carpet over 1/2" foam in the salon here. While working on the engines, I have test run the boat with the carpet up. Really makes a big sound difference!!
Old 02-08-2014, 03:01 PM   #6
Guru

City: Bellingham
Vessel Name: Ebbtide
Vessel Model: '72 Grand Banks
Bry,

There was carpet in Ebbtide when we brought her home. Carpet is gone now, little bit louder but definitely worth the trade off. Significantly less damp feeling and much easier to keep clean.

Bob
Old 02-08-2014, 03:17 PM   #7
Guru

Carpet over Wood

I found this question interesting since we recently went in the opposite direction (sort of). When we purchased our first couple of trawlers I had to have teak floors and spent the money to do so. Of course the first thing we did during commissioning was have custom carpets put down everywhere with a 2" reveal to remind of the money spent underneath. Fast forward to our third trawler and Mary decided to replace the carpet (teak floors underneath) with wall to wall carpet to eliminate the dust collections where the carpet stopped. So now we have wall to wall to carpet covering the teak below which provides a nice soft footing. Bottom line is regardless of the wood you choose you will likely cover it up with carpet so don't spend a fortune.

Regarding the noise levels, carpet does provide a little more sound insulation but not enough to make a difference. It will come down to how the boat was built and insulation in the engine room. We find the salon in N35 with a 6 cyl Yanmare 350hp is slightly quieter then the heavier N40 with 6 cyl Lugger turning at half the RPM. The boats were built at different yards and I think the N35 was better built for various reasons.

John T.
N3522
La Tempestad
Attached Images

N4061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 04:43 PM   #8
Guru

City: South FL
Vessel Name: Oliver
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 47 Hull# 12
We put also put carpets over the teak and holly floors and love it. We did carpet everywhere except for the PH which had a non-skid material that we liked.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3658476324.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	53.1 KB
ID:	27208   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3480450768.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	80.0 KB
ID:	27209   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2904555795.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	62.8 KB
ID:	27210  
Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
N4712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 06:14 PM   #9
Guru

City: Venice Louisiana
Exactly right about rugs over the wood floor. But, I track a lot of crap into the boat, especially when the "domestic goddess" in not there. Diesel engine oil is, as far as I know, Permanent. So throw away rugs in high traffick areas are a good idea. I do absolutely love the look and feel of oiled teak, just not outside.
kulas44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 07:16 PM   #10
Guru

City: Port Credit
Vessel Name: DIRT FREE
Vessel Model: Benford Fantail 38
Cork tiles (the real stuff, not Home Depot) after six years full time liveaboard with a dog...... not a single mark. Easy on the feet, good sound damping.
Hugr variety of colours and patterns.
boatpoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 08:21 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Cofer View Post
Bry,

There was carpet in Ebbtide when we brought her home. Carpet is gone now, little bit louder but definitely worth the trade off. Significantly less damp feeling and much easier to keep clean.

Bob
Why they covered that beautiful floor is beyond me. A few rugs placed in front of the sink or entrance but otherwise why cover that up?
Old 02-08-2014, 09:42 PM   #12
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
On our europa style 36' trawler we put carpet down in the lower sleeping cabins area. It was for warmth under foot, to quite pump and air conditioning sounds. With hard walls and floors sounds would be amplified. In the saloon/galley area we used area rugs. It made a big difference in livability of the boat.
http://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 07:08 AM   #13
FF
Guru

No Noise , 2 lb per sq ft lead with 2v inch foam under the floor will cut the noise more than carpet.
FF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 09:18 AM   #14
Guru

City: Joe Wheeler State Park, Al
Vessel Name: Serenity
Vessel Model: Mainship 36 Dual Cabin -1986
Wood Flooring

I made my own flooring when I removed the carpeting. I used plywood Teak and Holly. For insulation, I used standard ceiling tiles cut to size for heat and sound insulation. Since they can crumble and get really messy in the engine room, I covered them with this thin foil insulation. It fits pretty tight and dust proof for the most part. This is held in place with screws and large washers, I think about 2" dia. or more. I'm too lazy to look right now.
My salon is fairly quiet, probably because I have gas engines, not diesel.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	141.9 KB
ID:	27234   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.JPG
Views:	89
Size:	75.8 KB
ID:	27235   Click image for larger version

Name:	3.JPG
Views:	90
Size:	69.0 KB
ID:	27236   Click image for larger version

Name:	4.JPG
Views:	92
Size:	78.1 KB
ID:	27237   Click image for larger version

Name:	5.JPG
Views:	95
Size:	76.8 KB
ID:	27238  

Old 02-09-2014, 02:41 PM   #15

For those of you that have carpet do you carry a vacuum? We have a four year old and dog...so far I have been bringing the home vacuum every few weeks but that is getting old and will get even more so during the summer.
Old 02-09-2014, 03:03 PM   #16
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
Quote:
Originally Posted by bshillam View Post
For those of you that have carpet do you carry a vacuum? We have a four year old and dog...so far I have been bringing the home vacuum every few weeks but that is getting old and will get even more so during the summer.
Yes, we carry a vacuum, and would if there was no carpet.

A word about noise. There are noises while the engines are running, but there are also ship's noises at rest with no engine running. We have used carpet for the latter. It helps to keep the sounds of toilet flushing, water pumps, air conditioning, etc. to a manageable level. Carpet will do little to deaden engine noise.
http://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 03:17 PM   #17
Guru

Vacum Selection

Quote:
Originally Posted by bshillam View Post
We have had good success with small Dirt Devil brand vacuums. Small, easy to store and good pick-up power.

John T
N3522
La Tempestad
N4061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 04:34 PM   #18
Guru

City: UMR MM283
Vessel Name: Northern Lights II
Vessel Model: Bayliner 3870
Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
Cork tiles (the real stuff, not Home Depot) after six years full time liveaboard with a dog...... not a single mark. Easy on the feet, good sound damping. Hugr variety of colours and patterns.
This is what I've thought about doing when it's time to replace the carpet. The engine noise is the only possible problem that I'am concerned about. But with the use of a rug or 2 in the solon that may help if noise is a problem.
Old 02-09-2014, 06:40 PM   #19
Guru

City: Tampa
You might want to consider using a Dynamat type product. There are several on the market, some better than others, and of course some cheaper than others.
The Official Dynamat Website

You can place it under the wood, or on the inside of the hatch for noise reduction.

Just a thought.

OD
Off Duty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 07:01 PM   #20
Guru

We have an imitation middle eastern type carpet runner from aft cabin door to steps down to the sleeping cabin. Inexpensive by the meter at stores(you can buy edging for the cut ends), replaceable, looks ok, easily rolled up if needed. And a floor rug. We carry a vacuum cleaner.

BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote