Old 01-18-2014, 11:08 AM   #1

City: Bellingham, WA
Vessel Name: Our Heaven
Vessel Model: Willard 30' Searcher
Carburetors?

Anyone know a good carburetor rebuilder in Bellingham Washington? one of my carburetors appears to be leaking around the gaskets and so it's probably time that all the gaskets get replaced so I'm looking for someone in Bellingham area to rebuild the carburetors or potentially purchase a new set of carburetors. So any resources for rebuild or purchase would be greatly appreciated thank you.
81' Crusaders 350 CID 270HP. I would assume in looking over the engines and carbs they have never been touched - various parts of the engines are in need due to age, neglect etc. Bringing some life back into the old lady....

Old 01-18-2014, 12:13 PM   #2
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
One of these should be able to sell you a marine carb...
Barry Grant Demon Carburetors
Blake Carburetors
Edelbrock Carburetors
Hardin Marine (Carb / Intake Kits)
Holley Carburetors

Sorry, I copied them as links (don't work) but you'll have to check each one individually.

Old 01-18-2014, 04:16 PM   #3

City: Central Ohio
Summit Racing sells a number of Marine Carbs.

I like the Edelbrock carbs (Carter AFB's) for marine and off-road applications since the design of the floats and bowls doesn't give you the fuel sloshing problem of the Holley design. They're also much more finely adjustable and you can do the adjustments without draining the bowls.

Also, I sort of suspect that your engine's max RPM is only about 4,500, which makes me wonder if you have 2 or 4 barrel carbs. At 4,500rpm a 350" engine only needs about 400cfm of air.

It's worth looking into for sizing, although a 600cfm vacuum secondary carb will work just fine.
Old 01-18-2014, 04:59 PM   #4
Guru

City: East Greenwich, RI
Vessel Name: Bella
Vessel Model: Mainship Pilot 34
Do you really know that the gaskets are leaking? What are the symptoms?

On the 4 barrel carb on my 1988 Chrysler 360 engine, the float chamber will run dry after sitting for more than a day or two. A retired garage owner told me that many of the bodies of these carbs are porous and the gasoline leaks through. Rebuilding with new gaskets won't help and a new carb is a crap shoot.

David
djmarchand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 05:16 PM   #5
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
bshillam,
Call Pike's in Burlington at 360 755 9660.

They know carbs. Their rebuilds are better than new. I've had them do two of mine. The 72 Chevy PU and the 73 Buick. Very few have the knowledge and spare parts to do a good job. New ones are usually set up all wrong.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 01:06 AM   #6
Veteran Member

City: White Rock
Vessel Name: Mojo
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34 tricabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by bshillam View Post
Anyone know a good carburetor rebuilder in Bellingham Washington? one of my carburetors appears to be leaking around the gaskets and so it's probably time that all the gaskets get replaced so I'm looking for someone in Bellingham area to rebuild the carburetors or potentially purchase a new set of carburetors. So any resources for rebuild or purchase would be greatly appreciated thank you.
81' Crusaders 350 CID 270HP. I would assume in looking over the engines and carbs they have never been touched - various parts of the engines are in need due to age, neglect etc. Bringing some life back into the old lady....
I'm in Blaine and have been rebuilding my 34 Tolly
The prices were high to have the Rochester carbs rebuilt so I was thinking about kits and doing them myself but its a bit of a dying art
Ebay carb rebuilders worked for me but call the company and have all the numbers
My boat ran like crap until I got the rebuilt carbs for under $200 each
Pm me
yoeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 05:56 PM   #7
Guru

City: Pender Harbour, BC
Vessel Name: Gwaii Haanas
Vessel Model: Vancouver Shipyards Custom Aluminum 52
I have had good luck with Carter. Don't forget to buy the "marinized" version with the proper boat vents.
Xsbank is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 11:10 AM   #8
FF
Guru

IF you get a rebuild , BEFORE you rip off the unit , take the boat for a run with a Vacume gague ($20 at NAPA) installed and make a log of vacume and RPM.

IF you run at modest throttle it MAY be possible to run on the primaries , and not open the secondaries at cruise.

The carb guy will know.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 01:34 AM   #9
Guru

City: Walnut Grove Ca
Vessel Name: Cary'D Away
Vessel Model: Hatteras 48 LRC
Quadrajet ?

If you have Quadrajet carburetors, you may find the throttle shafts have worn the body of the carburetor and it will need to be rebushed. Old quadrajet carburetors are a little tricky to rebuild. I believe the rebuild kits run around $70, you can probably find an old fart somewhere that has the parts and lost skill to rebuild one right. The bodies are prone to leak internally as well. I believe I had a shop here in Sacramento rebuild one for my daughters ski boat last year for around $250. Any wear around the throttle shaft makes them starve for fuel under quick acceleration.

Scary is offline   Reply With Quote