Canvas treatment

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jimdavi

Vessel Name
Couple’s Retreat
Vessel Make
2019 North Pacific 45
Howdy, in the process of treating my canvas. Obviously I waited too long as I had a bit of mildew to clean up and they are not beading water when wet. How long between sprays of treatment?

Thanks

I use 303 fabric spray every year. I pour it into a garden type pump up sprayer and use that to wet out the fabric. I use a crisscross pattern to try to wet the entire item and then leave it to dry before I bundle it up and take it back to the boat.

I’m not sure. Came with my NP. Guessing sunbrella. Cleaned up well, will treat in the morning.

If it is indeed Sunbrella then you can use bleach to remove the mold if necessary. I would try soap first but bleach will not hurt it. Then treat with 303 when it is clean.

Canvas

I am going to try to attach a Sunbrella guide here.
WARNING!!
Do not spray the canvas on a dock, driveway, etc. The overspray will last for YEARS showing the outline.

Wife was pissed.............

Can't attach, will send later

Last edited:
Be aware that there are two products labeled 303. You want the 303 fabric guard, not the 303 protectant.
Actually, I have both, the protectant is good for vinyl, rubber, etc…
I roll on the fabric guard with a small paint roller. I found it easier to control the application as you don’t want it getting on the windows.

All good advice for 303 Fabric Guard

Best practices include i got from a 303 tech rep...
Multi (2-3l) light coats better than one heavy
Suspend canvas better than laying on picnic table... on boat frame OK
Hot Wx better then cool... hotter the better, apply in full sun
If 303 stored in cool basemen/ garage sit it out in the sun to prewarm it
Avoid getting it on clear vinyl windows

For Sunbrella
Use a mild soap... Woolite or Ivory... not detergent
Add bleach for stubborn stains
Best to soak it... I've done large pieces in bath tub ( put in garbage bag to take outside). For camper awnings brush on soap solution and roll up awning to let it soak
Rinse very well.... 2-3X (over a clothes line works well as rinse water runs off)
Let dry completely after rinsing & before retreating

Just completed. Did in full sun on the dock. Agree in heat they absorb and dry better. Ugh. One on those pump pressure sprayer bottles would have been better that standard spray bottle. Next time…

I have used both a garden sprayer and a paint roller. I used the roller when I was doing a Sunbrella top over the aft cabin deck. I used a long pole on the roller and rolled the 303 on. Spraying with the small spray bottle will wear out your hand pretty quickly.

I have an old bimini top that was leaking. It should be replaced but I’m too cheap. I bought a gallon of “woods?” canvas treatment at Canada Tire. Used a roller and soaked the bimini. No more leaks.

Is there a product that will deter seagulls and otters from getting onto the sunbrella?
I have both seagull stains and otter stains on my dark blue sunbrella. Both are removable with just salt water and hard scrubbing, bleach for the more serious, but prevention would be so much better.

The best deterrent for birds that I have ever found is the wire spyder things. The company is Bird B Gone and they can be mounted permanently on the dock and overhang the canvas or you can get a sand filled base and bungee it in place on top of the bimini. I have tried Gull Sweep and the birds just step over it as it goes around. And I found a terrible thing about the Gull Sweep. I had our 46’ trawler in San Diego. I had a Gull Sweep on top of the bimini top. During the week when I was at home in Tucson there was a storm in SD. The GS tipped over a bit, but not all the way, so as it went around it rubbed about halfway in the circle. It made a perfect 1/2 circle cut in the new Sunbrella bimini. It cost me $2,200 for just the new bimini top back in 2005. It was a huge bimini top.

Last edited:
If it’s protection you want, hire cousin Vinnie. He has a guy that will place a dead gull on the Bimini top and send a clear message to the rest of the flock.
Someone will be by every so often for payment of said services.

If it’s protection you want, hire cousin Vinnie. He has a guy that will place a dead gull on the Bimini top and send a clear message to the rest of the flock.
Someone will be by every so often for payment of said services.

Interesting, but here, if there is carrion, there will be vultures, so no gain.

We used a lot of 303 on our Dacron covered ultralight aircraft.

Skip the 303 and grab a gallon of the Starbrite Waterproofing. Same stuff except SB has PTFE in it, it's a UV blocker that 303 doesn't have in it's spray. Also, as others mentioned, grab one of those garden pump up sprayers and get a nice even coat without killing your fingers using a small spray bottle... :)

https://www.fisheriessupply.com/starbrite-waterproofing-and-fabric-treatment

Thanks all for great input.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom